Squeaky belt from somewhere?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squeaky belt from somewhere?
When I start my car there is a squeaking from a belt but I can't tell which one it is. After a little while it goes away, I was just wondering if anyone knows what it could be? And how to fix it?

Thanks guys Smile
Thanks given by:
Well there is only 2 and a cam belt never squeaks. Get some tyre chalk and run it around the inside of your aux belt and that will quieten it down
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 10:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Well there is only 2 and a cam belt never squeaks. Get some tyre chalk and run it around the inside of your aux belt and that will quieten it down

Okay cool I'll give that a go Smile
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 10:45 PM)Niall Wrote: Well there is only 2 and a cam belt never squeaks. Get some tyre chalk and run it around the inside of your aux belt and that will quieten it down

Cam belt can squeek, had a fresh vw in last week and it was squeeking as if it was a fanbelt at fault.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 12:06 AM)ConorTRG Wrote:

Cam belt can squeek, had a fresh vw in last week and it was squeeking as if it was a fanbelt at fault.

So could it also be the fanbelt?
Thanks given by:
Aux belt is the fanbelt Nathan, its more than likely it.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 12:10 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 12:06 AM)ConorTRG Wrote:

So could it also be the fanbelt?

or the racoon filter.

seriously though, fanbelts went out of fashion a LONG time ago....when they actually drove a fan.

As Niall said, there are two belts, timing(cambelt) belt, and the auxiliary whcih drives everything from PAS, alternator, A/C compressor and on other vehicles the water pump.

Timing belt, if its a squeak from there, then its likely to be the tensioner, not the belt, as timing belts dont slip....unless theres something seriously wrong.

So, its likely its your aux belt.
you can do some checks:
With the engine NOT running, twist it between your fingers, if you can twist it more than 90degrees, its probably a bit loose and needs tensioning further. If it has no manual adjustment, you need a new belt.
Visually check it, it shouldnt be shiney on the smooth side, and the grooved side should have no splits or chunks missing. If either of these are the case, you need a new one.
if all of this is fine, you may have a tensioner or pulley bearing worn, remove belt and spin them all to find this.

chalk, silicone sprays etc may stop the squeak short term, but wont fix the long term problem.

(07-03-2014, 12:20 AM)ConorTRG Wrote: Aux belt is the fanbelt Nathan, its more than likely it.

no, its not. It doesnt have a fanbelt.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Same thing why start twisting what its called lol.

Btw a belt doesnt have to be slipping to make it squeak.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 12:25 AM)ConorTRG Wrote: Same thing why start twisting what its called lol.

Btw a belt doesnt have to be slipping to make it squeak.

because they are different things. Its like saying diesel engines and petrol engines are the same...because they are both engines.

A belt only needs to slip a tiny tiny amount, unseen by the eye, to make noise. It will slip a tiny amount, which causes a tiny vibration, which makes the sound, think of it as a violin string.
if a belt is not slipping, a squeak is normally from a pulley or tensioner bearing.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Engine thing is completely unrelated, but anyway im not gonna argue over something so stupid lol.

Belt i had squeaking last week was ready to strip a tooth and was an old dryed up hard b**tard of a thing hence the sqeek. Normally is a bearing yeah but not everytime.
Thanks given by:
So the likelyhood is it was slipping on the tensioner or idler...causing the squeak.

A belt doesnt just squeak for no reason.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Best way to determine is take the aux belt of run engine and see if squeak is still there.
If so time for cam belt change.
If not aux belt and tensioners
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
check for play in both your aux belts, if it seems excessive then tighten them up a little, or just swap both out for new (peace of mind - they're only a few quid) if you go for that then also check the pulleys for stiffness / play, and replace as necessary
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys Smile I'll check the belts when I get home
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2001 306 Squeaky Clutch Pedal lsc2014 2 936 16-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Last Post: lsc2014