Wheel bearing change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel bearing change
Got a whirring noise from front passenger im guessing its the wheels bearing, just wondering how long would it take to change it start to finish and would the bearing last til friday if the car is driven? Got about a 40 mile journey tomorrow and then 30 on firday would the bearing last that..? Bit of a silly question i know but if the car could do me to then itd be good if not i can get sorted out just wanted to know..only happened the day aswell that the noise started
Thanks given by:
You'll be fine for the journeys ahead it's just showing it's wear now. Wheel bearing change takes like 3 hours normally taking hub off etc
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
depends if you have a press or not and if you are doing a hub swap or bearing change
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hi. When doing these front bearings, is it necessary to remove the ABS sensor, or can you remove the driveshaft and press the bearing out with it in place?.
Thanks
Thanks given by:
You will never get the ABS sensor out in one reusable piece, so leave it in, and just take great care with it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2014, 09:39 PM)Piggy Wrote: You will never get the ABS sensor out in one reusable piece, so leave it in, and just take great care with it

cheers bud. Ive got one to do myself sooner or later, as its humming, and I didn't wish to disturb the sensor. Had to replace the O/S sensor, and used copper ease, so im hoping if ever needed, it pops out nice and easy :-)
Thanks given by:
Hardest bit is getting the cir-clip out for the bearing.
Thanks given by:
Don't know how experienced you are, but make sure the bearing goes in dead straight, else you could be doing it again in six months.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Unless you have a press dont even attempt it. Take the hub and bearing to a garage that does.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I've done wheel bearings before now and been frankly scared at the amount of pressure needed from the press, if I had 100 quid available for someone else to take the hassle of getting the bearing out the hub without smashing the hub to pieces and getting it back in dead straight, I'd pay it without thinking...

They can be a TOTAL arse to do - not to mention, you can so easily smash off the track rod end mount or just bust the entire hub apart.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah was guna take the hub to somewhere to press the old one out and new one in
Thanks given by:
Good plan...my local charged me a tenner...which Im ok with for now
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Last one I changed it took 8tons to press the bearing out. Biggest arse was the circlip. Be prepared to change TRE, Droplinks and possibly wishbone ball joint, all fairly cheap to replace though....
Thanks given by:
^^ circlip is the worst. Iv done a few without a press, few blocks of wood, medium sized hammer and a old socket. easier if you have someone hold it while you hit it, then use the old bearing to hammer the new one in.

Even easier if you have a welder. remove the ballbearings and weld round the race and it will fall out
Thanks given by:
3 hours?! bloodyell, hope you didn't pay someone to take three hours to change one.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 06:54 PM)welshpug Wrote: 3 hours?! bloodyell, hope you didn't pay someone to take three hours to change one.

Just what I was thinking, took me 1.5 hours to do one with a press Smile

30 mins was fannying about trying to get that damned circlip off! eventually mullered it with a hammer and chisel, then I wedged a screwdriver around the edge an PING. never saw the clip again lol.

Only 5 tonne in the press to relieve the bearing, then it squeezed out with ease. Big Grin

But anyways, yes the wheel bearing will last. I left mine for months Tongue
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Circlip has never been an issue for me...

but fyi: hammer out is ok, but dont hammer it back in, you will just end up replacing it, or the hub soon after.

a press pushes evenly and smoothly, a big ass hammer doesnt
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: