60mm and 7.5j?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60mm and 7.5j?
Hi there got a set of saxo vtr 60mm springs for my sedan dturbo. Also bidding on a set of 7.5j alloys. Anyone tried anything of the sort before and know if theyll fit? Alloys are 7.5x16 et25
Thanks given by:
I would imagine that Saxo 60mm lowering springs would end up sitting very low on a 306 given the extra weight.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
And handle like crap and be rather dangerous.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I know few people have ran saxo springs before not a good idea dropped it about 70-80mm iirc which is too low for 16" wheels imo
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
he's from N Ireland that's how they like 306's slammed
Thanks given by:
The offset will be too high and they will be too tucked. Is say et10 would be a nice fit so 15mm spacers. Tyre sizes are important as well will want a 195 for a bit of stretch
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2014, 06:35 PM)306 blaze Wrote: he's from N Ireland that's how they like 306's broken and dangerous

EFA! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I had mine on et18 16x7j ( ithink they were 7j) 195/40 on 60mm saxos. No rubbing at all.
Thanks given by:
ffs... use the correct springs for the car. Its not rocket science. Hell its not even a high school project of making a volcano or a potato battery!

If youre low youll need to roll your arches with 7.5J. I am 60mm down with 7J and it scrubs if its not rolled.
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2014, 04:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: And handle like crap and be rather dangerous.

THIS^^^ 100%, why do people insist on using springs that are not rated for the weight and that will dislocate very easily

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 09:39 PM)puglove Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 04:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: And handle like crap and be rather dangerous.

THIS^^^ 100%, why do people insist on using springs that are not rated for the weight and that will dislocate very easily

60mm saxos sit tight in the suspension cup, they do not dislocate.

Id compare using 60mm saxos in the same category as the many £150 coilovers that are available.
Handle like crap - certainly
Dangerous - not really imo
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 11:04 PM)anto Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 09:39 PM)puglove Wrote:

Id compare using 60mm saxos in the same category as the many £150 coilovers that are available.

I cant condone this... Dont put on springs that arent suited to your car! £150 coilovers are rubbish because they are cheap, not just plain wrong!
Thanks given by:
Putting wrong springs on a car is just as bad as cutting them stop being a pikey lady garden and do the job right or don't f*cking bother
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 11:11 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Putting wrong springs on a car is just as bad as cutting them stop being a pikey lady garden and do the job right or don't f*cking bother

Cut springs are a different level altogether. The reason they are so bad is that when cut, they dont sit in the suspension cup properly.... Which will lead to dislocation. Not the case with 60mm saxos.
Thanks given by:
Ino 60mm saxo springs won't come un lodged but still
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 11:07 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 11:04 PM)anto Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 09:39 PM)puglove Wrote: THIS^^^ 100%, why do people insist on using springs that are not rated for the weight and that will dislocate very easily

I cant condone this... Dont put on springs that arent suited to your car! £150 coilovers are rubbish because they are cheap, not just plain wrong!

Plain wrong in what way? What are the physical/ technical reasons as to why it is wrong?
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 11:25 PM)anto Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 11:07 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 11:04 PM)anto Wrote: 60mm saxos sit tight in the suspension cup, they do not dislocate.

Plain wrong in what way? What are the physical/ technical reasons as to why it is wrong?

have you compared corner weights of a saxo 1.1 vs a 306 dturbo?

no, dont suppose you have. Maybe worth doing before saying its fine to use the wrong suspension components.

as said, dont be a danger to yourself and innocent road users and buy 60mm lower springs DESIGNED, tested and made by qualified engineers for your dturbo.
Or better still, appropriate coilovers.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ok fair enough different corners weights I understand that. Springs are designed for a certain weight. Does that mean if ive 3 70kg men in the back of my car every day giving them a lift to work that I must swap out my torsion bars for beefier ones or will I be ok ? Itl just sit a little lower?
210kg will certainly fcuk up the corner weight of my 306.
Thanks given by:
well no, coz I assume you are already at 3nicks on the back, and thus on the bump stops?!

technically speaking, TBS should be thicker when being lowered anyway, just not many do so.

But if you are taking three guys everyday to work, its time to tell them to go walk or pick you up once in a while. yes it will bugger up ya corner weights, but then why CHOOSE to make your car dangerous and handle poorly? giving a few guys a lift isnt a permanent dangerous mod is it!?

its also to do with spring tension and coil rate, little like a damper rate.

But I dont think anyone is guna change your mind, you obviously know better.

FYI: citroen AXs were even lighter, try some of those springs
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 12:15 AM)Piggy Wrote: well no, coz I assume you are already at 3nicks on the back, and thus on the bump stops?!

technically speaking, TBS should be thicker when being lowered anyway, just not many do so.

But if you are taking three guys everyday to work, its time to tell them to go walk or pick you up once in a while. yes it will bugger up ya corner weights, but then why CHOOSE to make your car dangerous and handle poorly? giving a few guys a lift isnt a permanent dangerous mod is it!?its also to do with spring tension and coil rate, little like a damper rate.

But I dont think anyone is guna change your mind, you obviously know better.

FYI: citroen AXs were even lighter, try some of those springs

But it is creating the exact same situation/ circumstances as a 306 with a heavier engine on springs designed for a lighter engined car. By your logic one situation is dangerous, the other isnt. With regard to a "permanently" dangerous mod as opposed to having the lads in the back, which by your reckoning is "temporarily" dangerous, there cant be a timescale to the danger, its either dangerous or not.

FYI i dont lower my 306 by the nick method, its crude. I set it to the height i want it and adjust the torsion bars accordingly. Im on 35mm Koni springs (i removed the saxos as i couldnt be bothered with the discomfort) and adjustable Koni shocks with the torsion bar set to match.

I just see people on car forums regurgitating something, someone once said that in their opinion was dangerous, with no thoughts as to why.

60mm saxos in a 306 have passed the Northern Ireland MOT, a much stricter test than you have in England, Wales & Scotland, as it is completely independant. The only comment the examiner had was that it was very stiff. That would have been the konis set to their stiffest setting and not the springs.
Thanks given by:
How would the examiner know though!? It doesnt have stamped on them "saxo springs"

If they are seated correctly and dont cause rubbing etc then theres no reason why an MOTr wont pass them. But as we all know, an MOT doesnt mean a car is safe, just that it meets a lot of red tape requirements.

As I said, fit what you like, but if someone fits a coil spring with a different tension rate and stiffness than that designed for the vehicle then IMO you dont seem to care about your life or the life of the three lads you drive round everyday or other roads users.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 12:55 PM)Piggy Wrote: How would the examiner know though!? It doesnt have stamped on them "saxo springs"

If they are seated correctly and dont cause rubbing etc then theres no reason why an MOTr wont pass them. But as we all know, an MOT doesnt mean a car is safe, just that it meets a lot of red tape requirements.

As I said, fit what you like, but if someone fits a coil spring with a different tension rate and stiffness than that designed for the vehicle then IMO you dont seem to care about your life or the life of the three lads you drive round everyday or other roads users.

I think you will find thats exactly what an MOT is for ^^^^ keeping cars roadworthy and safe. (all be it, it only guarantees that it is safe at the time of the test, but thats a different argument for another day)
They have a machine to test the shocks and springs in NI MOT centres (not sure if they have them in England etc). If it was defective ie burst shock etc the machine will show it up and it would fail.
Thanks given by:
There's a big difference between a spring that will fail an MOT and a spring that's actually suited to the vehicle it is installed upon though which is the point Piggy's trying to make I think.

I don't know the specifics of an NI MOT but over here on the mainland it's pretty much a case that so long as the spring is seated properly even on full droop, still allows some movement and isn't snapped or heavily corroded then it'll pass. Dampers from memory are evidence of leaking and checking that they have sufficient damping to control movement.

I've not personally measured them but I find it hard to believe that the spring rate and preload would be anything approaching correct on a Saxo spring when fitted to a 306 given the significant difference in axle weights between the two, but equally I don't doubt that it would fit and function to a certain degree.

PS. A car can pass an MOT yet be unsafe and unroadworthy and equally can fail an MOT and yet be both roadworthy and safe.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2014, 03:10 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: There's a big difference between a spring that will fail an MOT and a spring that's actually suited to the vehicle it is installed upon though which is the point Piggy's trying to make I think.
A car can pass an MOT yet be unsafe and unroadworthy and equally can fail an MOT and yet be both roadworthy and safe.

exactly this.

What an MOT is supposed to do, yet what it actually does, are two very different things.

Please remember also, that corner weight is only relative when stationary. when driving, under different conditions, IE corning, braking, accelerating, there is weight transfer.

So say there is a 75kg difference over the front axle between 306 and Saxo when stationary.
this could become twice maybe three times as much when under heavy breaking.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Here you go:
Will it fit?

As a rule of thumb, if it barely fits in your wheel arch and your springs & dampers are more than a little bit stiffer than standard you've f*cked your handling, but that's your choice.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by: