Vehicle tax changes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle tax changes
Quote:From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer be issued and required to be displayed on a vehicle windscreen.

Is that a good thing or bad thing....?

wait there more....

Quote:When selling a vehicle to a new vehicle keeper, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferable. Vehicle tax will end when a vehicle is sold and the new keeper will need to get the vehicle taxed immediately before the vehicle can be used.

this will mean that the value of you car will be less than if you sell with tax which wont be an option

but !

Quote:From 1 November 2014 you can pay your vehicle tax online by Direct Debit either:
annually
6 monthly
monthly

original artical here
Thanks given by:
That's not bad then. If you can py monthly, you just stop paying when you transfer the vehicle.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
That's abit daft not letting the tax be transferable between owners, other than that all seems good idea.

Thanks given by:
So what happens when you just want to buy a car and drive it away? You have to faff around taxing it at there house / go home and tax it before you can drive it away? This seems rediculas?

However sacking off the tax disc wont do any harm, its rather pointless anyway, especially the fact you can get fined for not having the disc even though the car is taxed online!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the disc doesn't bother me, afterall, you don't have to display Mot or insurance in the window.

But the lack of tax when selling is stupid, its already bad enough with having to sorn uninsured cars. I hope they're gonna give a day or two grace so you can drive home after buying a car.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 09:09 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: So what happens when you just want to buy a car and drive it away? You have to faff around taxing it at there house / go home and tax it before you can drive it away? This seems rediculas?

However sacking off the tax disc wont do any harm, its rather pointless anyway, especially the fact you can get fined for not having the disc even though the car is taxed online!!

I bet you will find there will be a period of time where you can not have tax after buying a car. They can't expect you to tax it there and then as its not always possible.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 09:09 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: So what happens when you just want to buy a car and drive it away? You have to faff around taxing it at there house / go home and tax it before you can drive it away? This seems rediculas?

Maybe there will be a grace period of a day or two to drive the vehicle home?

That'd be the most sensible way to do it if tax was non-transferable.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Makes sense in general apart from the non tax transfer, thats guna be a ballache.
Alternative is getting the seller to drive it home for you!

Its as stupid as not being permitted to own a vehicle taxed unless its insured

I suppose its a bit stupid asking if there is a discount as for not having a paper tax disc now and for paying by direct debit like the discount you get with energy companies!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah probably easier for them who's not paying tax and updating a system which is old and has lots of hoop holes.

stop the "I'll get tax on payday"etc

Guessing they'll get rid of the 2 week period you have to re tax it ?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
They should just pout the bloody extra tax on fuel and be done with it.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Well no actually you can't, because the car will still be in the previous owners name.
The tax system is online, but the car ownership system is still paper.

You buy a car and fill in the transfer papers, but it takes a week or two to make the round trip to the DVLA and for their records to be updated.

If tax is not transferable how can you tax the car in the mean time??

(27-02-2014, 10:12 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: They should just pout the bloody extra tax on fuel and be done with it.

To make up the tax defect you'd need roughly 40p extra per litre of fuel.
Thanks given by:
I'll bet the monthly option is more expensive....lady gardens
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ripp I used to agree with putting it on fuel but it actually adds alot more than youd think (look at how many liters are sold per year and the DVLA's total revenue from road tax). I think they should do away with it all together and then get rid of the DVLA people who administer it and pass the savings on to us.

It is a ballache not being able to transfer the tax at sale as you can bet its just a ploy to make more money as youll only be able to buy a whole month and you loose half a month when you cash it in as you can only get a month back.

As for paying monthly you can bet it will be far more expensive than paying yearly just as 2 6month taxs are more expensive than 1 year.
Thanks given by:
It works out cheaper than it does now

"There will be no additional handling fees for annual payments but to limit the impact on the public finances there will be a small surcharge of 5% of vehicle tax for biannual and monthly payments. This is half of the 10% surcharge that is currently applied to 6 monthly tax discs and which has been in existence for a number of decades."
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I was reading about this last year. I believe it's marginally more to pay by monthly direct debit, but it's a much better way of doing it to me. At least it's not a lump that you have to prepare for, and it makes it much cheaper and easier to get a runabout on the road without having to worry about paying £100+ of road tax. The disc is rather outdated so no loss there, the only thing you lose, I suppose, is physical proof that your car is taxed. But as everything else is done electronically I can't imagine it making too much difference.

Apart from the whole non-transferable thing, I think it's a great idea. Hopefully there will be an easy solution to buying a car.
Thanks given by:
I guess you can buy online on your smart phone when you end up buying a car at 10pm on a saturday night.
Thanks given by:
The point is, the car will still be in their name... So you couldn't. Unless the tax is somehow registered to the person rather than the car.
Thanks given by:
I was in a carp park at Spalding yesterday, next to me was a Polish reg VW van, a bit like my next door neighbour's. I had a walk round it admiring it then I realised this guy had been in the UK for ages (He has a shop in Boston that I know and he was at a warehouse getting stock for it).

No tax disk, only a Polish sticker dated 2010 in his window. That got me thinking: If he hasn't any tax, has he an MOT? Come to think of it, has he got insurance? In the few hours I was in the Fens yesterday, I lost count of how many Polish, Latvian and Lithuanian vehicles I saw.

Enjoy paying your road tax . . . you know where it goes, don't you?
Thanks given by:
No tax, no MOT and probably no insurance.

They usually carry around a polish insurance document from some obscure company, and if the copper fancies a pop he can try and figure out if it's valid, but most don't even bother.

When they get pulled over they use the old "me no speak English" routine until the coppers leave.
Thanks given by:
So you go to buy a car the v5 takes a good 2-3 weeks to come back, if you have you no proof of ownership how can you pay the tax, thinking would you use something on the temporary log book to go online?

But then if you could do that may as well do away with logbooks and have them online?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Why would there be a surcharge of 5% for direct debit?!

If its all done online and no one has to do paperwork for it and send a disc, then surely we should get the savings of that passed on!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Its all horse shit and scams these days.

But i like the idea of being able to tax it monthly, bit of a pain if you can only do it by direct debit though.

Personally i like having tax discs, like when you buy an old car and you get all the old tax discs with it to prove its been on the road.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
It is bloody stupid. I bet they'll do away with it being refundable, too? So I tax a car until the end of the calender month, for one month only because it's being advertised for sale. Car sells on the 10th, so I only got a weeks' worth out of my month, but it won't be refunded.

New buyer has to buy tax for it immediately. Even though I've already taxed it until the end of the calender month.

= Profit.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
So if you pay the tax for the year sell it two months after you loose the rest of the year! What an absolute rip off! Theres me trying to cut back on direct debits lol!
Thanks given by:
I couldn't give a shit, it's got to be paid so there's no point moaning about it.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 10:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ripp I used to agree with putting it on fuel but it actually adds alot more than youd think (look at how many liters are sold per year and the DVLA's total revenue from road tax).

It doesn't matter, you're not paying road tax instead. In fact it'd work out far cheaper because you're not employing 300 f*cking morons at the DVLA who like buying crates of red tape.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 12:56 PM)Sian Wrote: So if you pay the tax for the year sell it two months after you loose the rest of the year! What an absolute rip off! Theres me trying to cut back on direct debits lol!

No. If your paying by DD, then when your finished with the car, you just stop paying the DD seeing as your basically just buying tax on a monthly basis. I think its a better way tbh.

(27-02-2014, 01:15 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I couldn't give a shit, it's got to be paid so there's no point moaning about it.

This. A few people whinging on a forum isn't going to change the plans lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
If I could add a month onto my hdi now that would be great as I wouldn't be in such a rush to crack on with the gti6, but at least it's motivation
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Also means if you sell a car at the beginning of the month you lose the tax for the whole month. Nice earner for the DVLA.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2014, 02:53 PM)Niall Wrote:
(27-02-2014, 01:15 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I couldn't give a shit, it's got to be paid so there's no point moaning about it.

This. A few people whinging on a forum isn't going to change the plans lol

Its not a few people whinging on a forum though, its everybody in every car forum and every car mag (that doesn't cater for people with enough money not to care). Nobody thinks this is a good idea.

Ripps idea is the best about adding it onto fuel and sadly one of the fairest much as it would cost more than most people think.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Probate vehicle valuations Paul_13 6 2,212 07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Lifting a Vehicle over a Pit RetroPug 42 13,782 16-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Another new vehicle has arrived. Danny Wideboy 7 1,733 08-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Last Post: hotrodjacko