Wont fire... no fuel!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wont fire... no fuel!
Hi guys funnily enough.. my rallye has packed up again!

basically my positive battery terminal is acting up, unsure exactly what the hell is going on and electricals are my big weakness, nothing i despise more than electrical gremlins.

only thing i have noted is my fuel pump isnt priming and car just cranks over without firing.

fuel pump relay casing is cracked and relay was full of murky water but still clicks when ignition is turned.

Also big red fuel cut off switch under the bonnet is hanging off and rattling so going too replace both of these first and then the positive battery terminal.

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Matt.
Thanks given by:
If the inertia switch is rattling, it's been activated. If the switch it's self is faulty, unplug it and bridge the two pins in the plug with something. Paper clip does the job just to see if it will get your pump to kick in.
Also, sounds like you need a new relay ASAP. That supplies the pump, lambda and injectors so you might be able to hear it clicking but there is several relays in there so some may not work.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that as i literally havent a clue where i am with wiring Sad

Wiggling the positive battery terminal has a massive effect on the car though? i think its corroded so was going to chop it back to decent wires and put it on a regular terminal not this stupid spin on idea.

would the pump relay be the same in an xsi? my friend is breaking a V reg XSi so i can plunder it for bits
Thanks given by:
Yeah any XU petrol engine relay will work.
You need to make sure both battery terminals are clean, corrosion free and secure. If the clamp is no longer clamping well, replace them but not just with these ones from audio stores. Get good quality ones as that makes a massive difference to everything about the car!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall, im used to having earthing problems with renaults but peugeot seems a whole different ball game lol

Im a parts manager for an agri engineering firm so we have things like battery terminals etc in stock Smile

I did try one off a TU lump, same pins etc but fixing is different.
Thanks given by:
TU could be the same. I'm not 100% sure. I just know all petrol XU ones from a 306 are identical and probably D8 406s as well
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Did you find the problem with this?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I did indeed! fuel pump relay was knackered as was the inertia switch, robbed them off the XSi im breaking and secured them into place properly (well cable tied the inertia for now untill i get a mint one) and she hasnt failed me again so far Smile
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 12:38 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: I did indeed! fuel pump relay was knackered as was the inertia switch, robbed them off the XSi im breaking and secured them into place properly (well cable tied the inertia for now untill i get a mint one) and she hasnt failed me again so far Smile

Cheers this will come in handy, bought a new 6 but needs live running to fuel pump, won't prime without a live.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Try the inertia switch, mine was kaput. easies test is to get a lenght of wire, remove the switch and just bridge the connection. The Relay is just as important though.
Thanks given by:
Glad you've sorted the problem, I've also found that having clean, secure battery terminals and clean earths makes a world of difference both in terms of electrical gremlins and easy starting.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 10:14 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Try the inertia switch, mine was kaput. easies test is to get a lenght of wire, remove the switch and just bridge the connection. The Relay is just as important though.

Cars now running think it may be fuel relay but I just given one away before I bought this car lol
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat spot/ miss fire on gti6 kentiiboii 11 3,395 21-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii