Whats it worth? S16...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats it worth? S16...
(24-02-2014, 03:51 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: My head is saying: 'Go look at it, be cautious, check everything and inspect the paperwork / HPi check it'

My heart is saying: 'Get there, fire it up, hand the dweeb some cash and make it go BWARP all the way home'

unfortunately i have a bad habbit of following my heart when it comes too cars Inlove

i did both with my 6

test drove it made it bwarp!
picked it to pieces offered price and the guy got in drove off insulted
went home disapointed
emailed him he returned email
then i was in the car with cash in hand
going to pick it up same night
and had a jolly good BWarp! on the way home too

Smile
Thanks given by:
Well me and Ozone made the perilous trek out to some obscure farm this evening...

And im now the owner of a very very good condition S16 Big Grin very suprised by the mintness of it! very clean straight and tidy, lad was honest about it and even gave us the tour of his mk1 golf and classic mini Smile

Picking it up on the weekend so expect lots of pictures etc Smile
Thanks given by:
Awesome Smile one of the best colours too.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Curt Smile Zakk couldnt believe the condition looking round it, boot floor is immaculate! and bar a few lights scratches and a tiny dink in the drivers rear quarter panel it is in very very good condition.
Thanks given by:
I was astonished how tidy it was, in far better nick than my 2002 hdi haha

Engine sounds sweet, all arches and underside are rust free, just needs some new pads and discs then reckon it'll go through an mot as it is :-)
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 10:48 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I was astonished how tidy it was, in far better nick than my 2002 hdi haha

Engine sounds sweet, all arches and underside are rust free, just needs some new pads and discs then reckon it'll go through an mot as it is :-)

Hopefully find us another little hidden herefordshire gem tomorrow Wink
Thanks given by:
Haha yeah hopefully ninja
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a really great buy!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Sounds awesome i want Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Great buy

good team effect Smile look forward to seeing the pictures
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 11:02 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Sounds like a really great buy!

Im very happy with it Smile was amazed the difference between this and a GTi-6 when the bonnet was opened but engine runs sweet and looks quite clean.

(24-02-2014, 11:07 PM)Tom Wrote: Sounds awesome i want Sad

It'll be for sale soon and im not greedy Wink like i say its more about preserving a future classic than making a killing Smile especially if its going to go to someone on here that will give it the TLC and respect it deserves.

(24-02-2014, 11:40 PM)7057sam Wrote: Great buy

good team effect Smile look forward to seeing the pictures

More zakk than anything, he knew what to look for and where to find it Smile even diagnosed the fault with my rallye having no wipers so i have managed to get that sorted tonight, been a very productive day Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I had zakk odds on to buy this lol

Any plans for it? Is the s16 155bhp?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Aha well its my turn to give zakk a hand tomorrow and take him too see a local GTi-6 that looks like a potential bargain Big Grin

Only plan so far is get it back as much standard as i possibly can on a budget, and chuck it in for an MOT and see what happens Smile if it passes i might tax it and use it while the rallye gets some loving. Eventual plan is to sell it on though as i have more cars than hot dinners anyway lol
Thanks given by:
I really like this! Must sell the Mondeo!
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 12:51 AM)Just Sean Wrote: I really like this! Must sell the Mondeo!

Glad you like it Smile As said it WILL be for sale as much as i wanna keep it alongside the rallye. my collection now consists of the rallye, this S16, an XSi (breaking) a mk1 clio 16v and my megane 225 Smile Sold my Dturbo last weekend in preparation of S16 space Tongue
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 03:09 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: [Image: Picture_002.sized.jpg]

[Image: Picture_006.sized.jpg]

Reminds me of my old Cassack S16 from a few years back which Alan_M on here ended up buying a year or two later off the guy I sold it to.

'Mud'! Only became mine when it broke though...you know the score there Wink
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 12:39 AM)7057sam Wrote: I had zakk odds on to buy this lol

Yep S16 is 155bhp standard
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 08:07 AM)Frosty Wrote:
(25-02-2014, 12:39 AM)7057sam Wrote: I had zakk odds on to buy this lol

Yep S16 is 155bhp standard

Thanks for that Smile looks weird under the bonnet compared with what im used too! lol
Thanks given by:
Sweet news.

What makes the 12bhp difference then?

Is the S16 still 6speed?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 09:17 AM)Piggy Wrote: Sweet news.

What makes the 12bhp difference then?

Is the S16 still 6speed?

noob lol . . . .no it's 5 speed, however the s16 engine is potentially better than the gti 6, can make big power with some work . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Just wondered coz frosty is running a 6spd box in his and I did think they were 5speed.

So then, high and mighty Matt, what does make the 12bhp difference?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 09:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: Just wondered coz frosty is running a 6spd box in his and I did think they were 5speed.

So then, high and mighty Matt, what does make the 12bhp difference?

a few things iirc, the manifold isn't as good as the standard one on the 6, they are different compression ratio . . . .i believe the s16 is quite similar to the T16 though and they are supposed to respond very well to mods . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ah righto.
Not a parts bin special then.

So I guess a GTi manifold gets slapped on pretty quick?

Then a fat turbo? Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 10:00 AM)Piggy Wrote: Ah righto.
Not a parts bin special then.

So I guess a GTi manifold gets slapped on pretty quick?

Then a fat turbo? Wink

throttle bodies ftw . . . . Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah can imagine, that other lads cherry rallye with 287bhp N/A is mental...must sound like the Gods barking on full chat
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
IIRC its a mish mash of parts between an MI-16 lump and a GTi-6 engine, doesnt look like all that much is interchangeable, i'll get an engine bay pic on the weekend for you Smile

Shes a 5 spd piggy Big Grin
Thanks given by:
It's probably easier to list what's the same between the S16 and GTi-6 engine than what's different!

The S16 (XU10J4) engine is basically an iron block 2.0 litre version of the 1.9 litre alloy block Mi16 (XU9J4) engine, and as such they share the same head design (to all intents and purposes), same camshafts etc. The fact that the larger capacity engine is slightly down on power is owing primarily to emissions.

GTi-6 (XU10J4RS) engine uses the same basic block and crank as the S16, and has the same capacity as a result, but otherwise is quite different - head design is quite notably different, cams are different, manifolds etc. It is effectively a tuned version of the standard later 2.0 16v (XU10J4R) found in XSi 16v and various PSA saloons.

You can use a GTi-6 inlet on an S16 and it is quite common as the S16's ACAV setup isn't the most reliable thing in the world, but most of the other bits aren't interchangeable between the two - exhaust ports are quite different so the manifold won't fit, cams won't fit (S16 ones are "hotter" anyway though), etc.

What makes the difference between the two? Difficult to pinpoint exactly as they're so different, but what I can say is that with a better exhaust manifold and ITB's the S16 will crack 190-200hp making it clear how much the standard manifolds and management hold it back.

I've always said that the S16 engine itself is very good and very under-rated, but it's held back by the bits attached to it and has always been unfairly overlooked in favour of its lighter older relative or the newer GTi-6.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
The inlet and exhaust manifold are both different. Think the head maybe slightly different as well but I maybe wrong. My S16 pulled 159.6bhp with a cat back exhaust and a de cat and that's with 125k on the clock

I fitted a gti6 gearbox on mine as well Smile
Thanks given by:
Hmmm good info Smile

So keen to save a few quid to buy this when its up for sale!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 10:17 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: It's probably easier to list what's the same between the S16 and GTi-6 engine than what's different!

The S16 (XU10J4) engine is basically an iron block 2.0 litre version of the 1.9 litre alloy block Mi16 (XU9J4) engine, and as such they share the same head design (to all intents and purposes), same camshafts etc. The fact that the larger capacity engine is slightly down on power is owing primarily to emissions.

GTi-6 (XU10J4RS) engine uses the same basic block and crank as the S16, and has the same capacity as a result, but otherwise is quite different - head design is quite notably different, cams are different, manifolds etc. It is effectively a tuned version of the standard later 2.0 16v (XU10J4R) found in XSi 16v and various PSA saloons.

You can use a GTi-6 inlet on an S16 and it is quite common as the S16's ACAV setup isn't the most reliable thing in the world, but most of the other bits aren't interchangeable between the two - exhaust ports are quite different so the manifold won't fit, cams won't fit (S16 ones are "hotter" anyway though), etc.

What makes the difference between the two? Difficult to pinpoint exactly as they're so different, but what I can say is that with a better exhaust manifold and ITB's the S16 will crack 190-200hp making it clear how much the standard manifolds and management hold it back.

I've always said that the S16 engine itself is very good and very under-rated, but it's held back by the bits attached to it and has always been unfairly overlooked in favour of its lighter older relative or the newer GTi-6.

What he said!

(25-02-2014, 10:41 AM)Frosty Wrote: [quote='powerandtorque' pid='396819' dateline='1393323455']
It's probably easier to list what's the same between the S16 and GTi-6 engine than what's different!

What he said!

So a gti6 exhaust manifold can't be put on a S16?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 gti 6, 131k. whats it worth? j_carter 7 1,477 26-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Paisleycheesewarrior
  Whats it worth (All the 306s!) Toms306 8 4,595 19-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Whats it Worth? Toms306 7 2,181 10-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Toms306