About time I joined a Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About time I joined a Forum
Hello to everyone, I've just joined the forum so thought I better introduce myself.

I'm Jack, 20 and currently own a 2000 1.8 Meridian. It's my second 306 and my eighth car, car history mainly comprises of French Hatches. I have made use of this forum in the past and wanted to show my appreciation to you guys. I have some plans for this car which I have to fit in around Uni, plan on getting them underway this weekend. As it stands I paid £500 for the car in January, and just tidied up a few things with it. It currently sits on 16" 307 alloys and has an induction kit. I'll be doing my best to update my progress on here, and I'll get some pictures up soon.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Welcome along
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Welcome along Jack, get some pics up when you can, don't hesitate to ask if you're having any issues, but make use of the search function as well. Wink

We're having a lot of 1.8's crop up at the moment, and one of the other staff members is in the process of putting throttle bodies on his 1.8! Big Grin

Glad we've been of use in the past, and we look forward to seeing more of you in the future. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi jack welcome to the forum. 8 cars in 3 years? D: I have a 1.8 too. Check out my project thread etc and hopefully in the near future Ill be starting to put all the goodies on it. Where abouts are you?

edit: ^^ this bloke beat me to first post. Im the guy with throttlebodies.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 11:02 PM)SRowell Wrote: ^^ this bloke beat me to first post. Im the guy with throttlebodies.

nerr nerr Tongue lol
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the welcome! Nice to know I'm not the only one having to settle for a 1.8 haha. Sorry if this is a naive question, but where is best for me to put some pics up?
Thanks given by:
You can either put them in here, or use the "Photos Of Members / Cars" section. I'd recommend using the forums own uploader that you'll find beneath the text entry box in full editor mode, helps keep the forum running nice and fast. Wink
Thanks given by:
Hello SRowell, I have been having a nose through your project thread over the past few days actually! It's nice to get some inspiration for my own car. I have had a few cars in quite a short space of time, but I hasten to add I haven't been crashing all these cars! It's more a case of swapping out of desire rather than necessity, everytime my insurance drops a little I'm always on the look out for a new car. Although I hope on holding on to this car for a while to try and get some no-claims! I'm at Uni in Oxford, but I live in Herefordshire.

Cheers for that Wing. Well to kick it off here's a photo of her.
Thanks given by:
Ah okay. Im from Ipswich but live in London now. Moved there for the job. Im currently hoarding parts and then they will be going on the car. If you are thinking of doing engine things one at a time I would suggest doing things in this order.

gti6 inlet manifold (look into a resonator bung too)
decat/decentre box
exhaust manifold
gti6 gearbox
gti6 head

for my throttlebodies i need to use an aftermarket ecu as our standard ecus cant be remapped easily Sad The 1.8 makes a fairly decent amount of power compared to the xsi and it is an aluminium block so it is a lot lighter than a gti6.
Thanks given by:
Sounds exciting, I look forward to seeing your progress. Would you advise against fitting a straight through centre pipe without the gti-6 inlet? I've heard a lot about the ecu's on these, seems to be their achilles heel
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 11:19 PM)jpc Wrote: Sounds exciting, I look forward to seeing your progress. Would you advise against fitting a straight through centre pipe without the gti-6 inlet? I've heard a lot about the ecu's on these, seems to be their achilles heel

the ecu is exactly that. Its a pain. Yeh sure fit the straight through centre pipe with the standard exhaust. Right now I am running a decat, straight through centre pipe and a standard back box. Sounds great and its not too loud for normal driving but is loud when you put your foot down. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
That sounds like a nice setup. Is your de-cat custom? Haven't come across any decats for the 1.8 yet. Also for some reason my backbox has a downturn pipe even though my bumper has a cut out, I thought this was odd...
Thanks given by:
Welcome

lovely looking 306 Smile

Renastor bungs are a big no no though.....
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Hello Nice looking phase 3 you have purchased there.
Thanks given by:
Thank you guys. Who else on here has dark green 5 door? I'd be interested to see what they have done to it
Thanks given by:
Morning and welcome Smile

Im from knighton (just the other side of leominster over the border) and my gf lives in hereford so im there most weekends and occasionally throughout the week, be sure to give me a flash if you see a black 306 rallye Smile

Your car looks tidy and dont be ashamed of having a 1.8, some people have too settle for a 1.4 or even worse.. a NAD! so consider yourself lucky Wink

Matt
Thanks given by:
Looks extremely tidy mate. Have a look for a set of black masks they will make it look mean. Have a look at lowering too. 40mm is a nice drop and 60mm is the most you can go without being stupid.

I have never had a problem with my resonator bung in 3 years. It came with my gti6 inlet manifold so never knew what it was like with the standard air box. It is meant to reduce a flat spot... on a gti6 so i presume it does a similar thing on a 1.8. Sounds good anyway Smile

My decat came on the car. Always have to find a friendly MOT tester in order for it to pass! It is the standard cat with a straight length of tube welded in place of the cat. If you are going to fit the gti6 exhaust manifold then wait until then as the cats are different and youll end up buying or making two.

Exhaust plans for mine are to run a gti6 head, gti6 exhaust manifold, gti6 decat. After that a straight through sportex pipe and standard back box. I have however found a catback magnex so will hopefully be viewing that today or at the weekend! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Hi Matt, I'm either at Mortimers Cross or Hereford centre. I know Knighton, not far from Mortimers Cross so I'm sure we will cross paths. If there's ever a local meet I'll do my best to come along. Haha it will do until I get myself a '6 or a rallye, just wish it wasn't so dire on fuel considering it's speed!

Rowell, I agree some black masks would smarten it up a bit and would look mean with anthracite wheels. I have been looking into lowering it was hoping for 40mm but not so sure I can afford it right now, a bit of housekeeping to prioritise. Need my front bearings changed and a general service, pads. No history of the cambelt so thinking of doing it to be on the safe side. Is there a guide on here on cambelt change on a 1.8 16v? Ahh yes fortunately there is one or two friendly MOT testers near me. I am looking at the Sportex straight through, that magnex will sound mean though
Thanks given by:
Yeh get the sportex pipe. Once ive got my stuff fitted and if i get this magnex then ill have the sportex pipe and 60mm springs for sale.

Havent seen a cambelt guide im afraid!
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 12:27 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yeh get the sportex pipe. Once ive got my stuff fitted and if i get this magnex then ill have the sportex pipe and 60mm springs for sale.

Havent seen a cambelt guide im afraid!

Give me a shout when you want to get rid of the sportex, I would definitely be interested! 60mm is a bit lower than I fancy going to start with though
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 11:40 AM)jpc Wrote: Hi Matt, I'm either at Mortimers Cross or Hereford centre. I know Knighton, not far from Mortimers Cross so I'm sure we will cross paths. If there's ever a local meet I'll do my best to come along. Haha it will do until I get myself a '6 or a rallye, just wish it wasn't so dire on fuel considering it's speed!

Rowell, I agree some black masks would smarten it up a bit and would look mean with anthracite wheels. I have been looking into lowering it was hoping for 40mm but not so sure I can afford it right now, a bit of housekeeping to prioritise. Need my front bearings changed and a general service, pads. No history of the cambelt so thinking of doing it to be on the safe side. Is there a guide on here on cambelt change on a 1.8 16v? Ahh yes fortunately there is one or two friendly MOT testers near me. I am looking at the Sportex straight through, that magnex will sound mean though

Good ol mortimers cross lol Im a shobdon / presteigne lad originally and mother still lives there so im through mortimers cross most nights, sure to cross paths and i'll keep an eye out Smile

Any bits you want im breaking an XSi at the moment Wink
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 01:41 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Good ol mortimers cross lol Im a shobdon / presteigne lad originally and mother still lives there so im through mortimers cross most nights, sure to cross paths and i'll keep an eye out Smile

What colour is the XSi? Don't suppose you have any lowering springs?
Also do you know anyone in the area who is relatively cheap but good mechanic? I need the front wheel bearings changed and don't want to have to pay ridiculous money like I've been quoted
Thanks given by:
Welcome
Thanks given by:
Welcome.

(23-02-2014, 11:10 PM)jpc Wrote: I'm at Uni in Oxford,
Me too! Finishing this year though. I drive a diablo ph.1 '6 with white Cibie foglamp covers in case you've happened to spot me driving about.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Welcome along mate Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 02:06 PM)jpc Wrote:
(24-02-2014, 01:41 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Good ol mortimers cross lol Im a shobdon / presteigne lad originally and mother still lives there so im through mortimers cross most nights, sure to cross paths and i'll keep an eye out Smile

What colour is the XSi? Don't suppose you have any lowering springs?
Also do you know anyone in the area who is relatively cheap but good mechanic? I need the front wheel bearings changed and don't want to have to pay ridiculous money like I've been quoted

I do in fact have some lowering springs on some koni struts for sale Smile believe they are 50-60 mm springs.

Also i know a man in shobdon who is a fantastic mechanic, one of only two people i will ever let work on my car, its all cash in hand and hes a peugeot master Big Grin

XSi Is moonstone blue i believe Smile im guessing you already have leather seats etc? i could sell you some cyclones? Tongue
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 03:54 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Me too! Finishing this year though. I drive a diablo ph.1 '6 with white Cibie foglamp covers in case you've happened to spot me driving about.

Awesome, I'll keep my eye out, I love the ph1's

(24-02-2014, 04:28 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: I do in fact have some lowering springs on some koni struts for sale Smile believe they are 50-60 mm springs.

Also i know a man in shobdon who is a fantastic mechanic, one of only two people i will ever let work on my car, its all cash in hand and hes a peugeot master Big Grin

XSi Is moonstone blue i believe Smile im guessing you already have leather seats etc? i could sell you some cyclones? Tongue

I think that might be a bit lower than I wanted to go, but I would consider it at the right price. :p She's sat on 307 hdi's atm which I'm quite fond of so not after cyclones right now. Could you put me in touch with this guy in Shobdon please though, I'd really appreciate it! Smile
Thanks given by:
Just for the record, your wheels are called "Ariannes", I also have a set that have been powder coated white, and HOPEFULLY they'll make an appearance this year if I can afford to out tyres on them! lol
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 05:52 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Just for the record, your wheels are called "Ariannes", I also have a set that have been powder coated white, and HOPEFULLY they'll make an appearance this year if I can afford to out tyres on them! lol

Tyre poverty! Undecided
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2014, 08:51 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(24-02-2014, 05:52 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Just for the record, your wheels are called "Ariannes", I also have a set that have been powder coated white, and HOPEFULLY they'll make an appearance this year if I can afford to out tyres on them! lol

Tyre poverty! Undecided

You don't know the half of it mate, that's the whole reason I'm rolling around on Harriers...i just can't afford to put tyres on the lasers or the Ariannes! Sad
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long Time Reader - First Time Poster Dr-Evil 9 2,152 03-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Esmyth124
  Joined for the knowledge on the xud BashRacing 15 3,444 29-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Last Post: td_dan
  Just joined danjamesbaker 19 3,196 25-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Herby7