Estate, or not to Estate.

Poll: Estate or not...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Estate
66.67%
10 66.67%
Hatchback
33.33%
5 33.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estate, or not to Estate.
Been debating weather to get an Estate or not, as I like the 306's but I would like the epic room + boot space. And my 306 has develop major rust problems and frankly + Generally don't have the time to fix it.

But i'm not sure on modifying the estate, I know Cwsepellowe's estate was epic but I wouldn't go that far with the paint etc. Just low, wide, clean + XUD'd

Already have the XUD Engine, gauges, bucket seats, FMIC etc etc.
But the HDi engine is appealing to me as JP's maps seem to be epic, and there is loads of torque available on these engines.

Someone give me some inspiration on some epic estates that I haven't seen yet lol
Thanks given by:
The estate rear end will never look as good as the hatch one, so best to concentrate on the front lol.

The space in the estates is good though.
Thanks given by:
XUD estate will always be win in my books...i was actually looking to get an estate when i bought the DT, but the DT came up locally at the right time and price.

I've seen a couple of well modded estates on here, but low, wide and clean would be just right as far as i am concerned. Just do it. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Personally the rear end on the 306 hatches don't look 100% either, but thats my opinion lol
The Wife wants me to get an estate just because she can Tongue

So far I have together;
XUD Engine with a GT15 but will be going shortley.
Crystals
FMIC with all pipework
Boost, oil temp, oil pressure, EMP + EGT Gauges
9mm Bosch pump, injectors, lines.
New Battery
The Amount of New parts I have is unreal
GTI 6 brakes, M/C
65k miler rear disc beam.
Thanks given by:
Estates are win. But everyones getting them these days.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dare I say it, I really like the look of the back of mine, having decent width and offset wheels and lowered slightly makes a huge difference to how they look, gives it a bit of stance.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Go for the estate. I have two, soon to be one and a half. Making a trailer out of one of them to be dragged by the other.
Thanks given by:
Estates FTMFW. Brilliant workhorses and most look better than the Hatch/Saloon versions(to me anyway) I miss my old 306 Estate!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Estate definitely mate

Love having a car which I can chuck all my crap in lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
If you want the looks go for the hatch but the estate has epic room and a proper flat load area, you'd comfortably get a double air bed in the back. The late ones got really good suspension bits like 22mm rear tbs and you can get the meridian se spec which is lush.

They also make epic sleepers as even slammed they look grandad spec. As Ian says though everyone has one now and there is very little you could do to one that would be fresh.

Oh and on the limit you will notice the extra weight at the back.
Thanks given by:
I prefered the handling of my estate over any of the hatches iv owned , found the extra weight over the rear made it a good bit more predictable when throwing it about and less likely to "snap" into loos ...infinitely usefull loadspace , wish I had never got rid of mine , then again we would never have had the meatwagon if I hadnt Smile
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 11:52 AM)gavxud Wrote: I prefered the handling of my estate over any of the hatches iv owned , found the extra weight over the rear made it a good bit more predictable when throwing it about and less likely to "snap" into loos ...infinitely usefull loadspace , wish I had never got rid of mine , then again we would never have had the meatwagon if I hadnt Smile

This! There's a lane near me that I take on my way home from work. I dare take a corner on it above 50 in my hatchback before the rear would start to slide. In my estate I can do it plus 60 with out any issues!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
I do quite enjoy my estate, one of the few big body versions of hatchbacks that feels almost the same to drive, but on the limit the extra 50kg behind the rear axle becomes a bit annoying, despite the estate spec suspension it just doesn't feel as responsive as a hatch.

Useful for lugging tools around, picking up engines etc, and the meridian interior is luxury after driving a stripped out rallye all day
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 01:01 PM)Ben Jay Wrote:
(19-02-2014, 11:52 AM)gavxud Wrote: I prefered the handling of my estate over any of the hatches iv owned , found the extra weight over the rear made it a good bit more predictable when throwing it about and less likely to "snap" into loos ...infinitely usefull loadspace , wish I had never got rid of mine , then again we would never have had the meatwagon if I hadnt Smile

This! There's a lane near me that I take on my way home from work. I dare take a corner on it above 50 in my hatchback before the rear would start to slide. In my estate I can do it plus 60 with out any issues!

How much of that is down to the difference in shells and how much down to differences in suspension and tyres though?

After all, most 306's these days have well over 100k miles and thus usually have tired dampers, knackered beam mounts, rear beams that are falling apart, and often budget tyres that are different between the front and rear axles. That little lot would make way way more difference than a little extra weight and possible small differences in shell stiffness ever would.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I had p6000 on the rear the entire time I owned it lol ...beam had slight camber on the passenger wheel , it had done 100k ish and was completely original underneath even down to the p bushes , still handled better than any of my hatches on the edge Smile
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 01:57 PM)gavxud Wrote: I had p6000 on the rear the entire time I owned it lol ...beam had slight camber on the passenger wheel , it had done 100k ish and was completely original underneath even down to the p bushes , still handled better than any of my hatches on the edge Smile

How bad were your hatches then!?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 01:36 PM)powerandtorque Wrote:
(19-02-2014, 01:01 PM)Ben Jay Wrote:

How much of that is down to the difference in shells and how much down to differences in suspension and tyres though?

After all, most 306's these days have well over 100k miles and thus usually have tired dampers, knackered beam mounts, rear beams that are falling apart, and often budget tyres that are different between the front and rear axles. That little lot would make way way more difference than a little extra weight and possible small differences in shell stiffness ever would.

Using the same wheels and tyres as I swapped them from the hatchback. And this one has more miles on it haha
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 01:36 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: How much of that is down to the difference in shells and how much down to differences in suspension and tyres though?
My estate runs a gti beam, the lowering kit off my 6, the same size and quality of tyres and the same front arb as well as the wheels being pretty much identical width and offset compared to my 6 so as close as you'll get to the same and you notice the difference.

Not sure how much is due to weight and how much is a difference in strength but the boot departure is the same size roughly, the rear windows are bonded and there is a d pillar roll hoop, not just a,b and c so I can't imagine it being much less strong if any.
Thanks given by:
Well I've decided I'm getting an estate today. Just need to save up. Have seen an 02 plate hdi meridian for. 500 which has 144k on the clocks. In china... Mmmmm
Thanks given by:
That's a bargain. Mines an 02 meridian se and had 230k on it and still cost 500.
Thanks given by:
Seen a couple of Bianca's aswell but not entirely sure if they polish up good as I've never owned a white car before, had plenty of moonstone and blue. But that's about it.
Thanks given by:
That do come up nice and dont show up scratches.
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 08:24 PM)Dean Wrote: Well I've decided I'm getting an estate today. Just need to save up. Have seen an 02 plate hdi meridian for. 500 which has 144k on the clocks. In china... Mmmmm

That sounds suspiciously cheap.. There must be something wrong with it?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Needs 2 new track rod ends, ball joints, rear discs and pads and drop links. All which I have as spares brand new lol
Thanks given by:
As above, an '02 HDi estate for £500 is a bargain!

Have fun tracing the fuelling or electrical issues with it. lol
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 09:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: As above, an '02 HDi estate for £500 is a bargain!

Have fun tracing the fuelling or electrical issues with it. lol

Irrelevant.

See further up thread...it will be xud'd Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah fair point! Still plenty of other electrics to be broken lol, mine had broken door loom, broken boot loom, broken heater loom, broken stereo loom.... lol
Thanks given by:
Just do it so i can steal some parts off the hatch...

And hoy the c90 in the back.

[Image: 557434_10151559253882274_29410064_n.jpg]
...85cc Petrol 0 Doors... - ...135MPG... - ...£17 Tax...
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2014, 10:37 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah fair point! Still plenty of other electrics to be broken lol, mine had broken door loom, broken boot loom, broken heater loom, broken stereo loom.... lol

I've got a new stereo loom, and door looms :p honestly my shed is like Peugeot service parts.
Thanks given by:
Yous really love the estates on here dont you's lol me personally i cant warm to them never have or will just like a 5dr but each to their own
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best “fast” 40mpg estate for 3-4k Orta 17 5,221 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Sian
  To all estate owners... Poodle 13 3,005 04-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
Shocked HDi estate value adam b 6 1,349 02-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Last Post: RetroPug