New MOT changes besides dpf/cat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New MOT changes besides dpf/cat
I know 2014 is bringing in the new mot reg that if you don't have a DPF and or a CAT fitted to your diesel and it came out the factory with one, then it's a fail.

But what about other regs?

Heard something about dash lights, but anyone know the full list of changes/notes?

Had a google and just keep getting the DPF/CAT related updates.

Scratch that found it -
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/do...guides.htm
Thanks given by:
I've been asking about the DPF/Cat rule. It's bonkers to say the least.

What puzzles me is someone can build a 'kit car' and put what ever exhaust they like on it, so long as it passes smoke test and noise. What about someone with an old Land Rover who changes it from Petrol to Diesel? It is just more red tape thrown at us by the EU.
Thanks given by:
It is ridiculous. But remember, MOT testers CANNOT (well not meant to) remove any cover, so if you've an undertray and large engine cover how can they check if the dpf is there?

If they can see it, empty it, put it back.

Same with the cat, cut a hole in the top, empty it out, weld top back up.

And with regards to the landy/kit car thing, I believe it's an EU legislation for car MANUFACTURERS to fit dpf/cat/blah blah blah. so in theory, shouldn't effect landy/kit car etc. well from my point of view anyway.

Was trying to figure out if I could get away with pulling my ABS light out the dash (no rear abs sensors) - Won't work. But if I remove the whole ABS system (any part that is used by another system can stay - as can abs rings) then it's a pass.
Thanks given by:
Lol, wonder how long it'll be before ebay is full of massive retro-fit undertrays... lol

Tbh, with a DPF, you can just use a hole saw to cut a ~2" hole all the way through it, has a similar effect to straight through but less hassle and wont 'echo' if the tester knocks it like a completely hollow one would.
Thanks given by:
Haha, Fancy going into business?

I've never owned a car with DPF so only going off of pics on the web. But your way does sound easier yea.
Thanks given by:
My Phase 2 has a Phase 1 front pipe. No tampering or welding . . . just a straight swap.
Thanks given by:
Gonna have to find a friendly tester for this, it's bullshit.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 11:08 PM)Alex Wrote: My Phase 2 has a Phase 1 front pipe. No tampering or welding . . . just a straight swap.

But if your tester knows that phase 2's were built with cats then it's a fail
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 11:16 PM)Wolverine1091 Wrote:
(17-02-2014, 11:08 PM)Alex Wrote: My Phase 2 has a Phase 1 front pipe. No tampering or welding . . . just a straight swap.

But if your tester knows that phase 2's were built with cats then it's a fail

Yes, I realise that but isn't that just a bind? I wonder if I could borrow a front pipe for an hour.
Thanks given by:
A bind?
Thanks given by:
The tester will know what year the car sound have a cat dpf ect
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
It's not gonna be an issue I dont think but because it's easier to remove some systems than repair they will get removed like air bags and abs that these days people can't drive without. When I learnt to drive we didn't have abs, we had to cadence brake but now your told to rely on the abs and I cant remember the last time I drove a car without traction control.
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 11:26 PM)Wolverine1091 Wrote: A bind?

Yes, sort of gets one slightly miffed.
Thanks given by:
Went and had a chat with the guys at my local garage and confirmed this today, gonna have to get creative as I have a completely non standard, stainless steel turbo back exhaust.

I'm wondering if I can find a cheap, second hand, pattern cat and then just cut it in half and weld it over the pipe? Maybe pack it with something just so it's not so hollow and wont make any weird sounds? Dunno, it's a f*cking ballache anyway :/
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 09:57 PM)Wolverine1091 Wrote: I know 2014 is bringing in the new mot reg that if you don't have a DPF and or a CAT fitted to your diesel and it came out the factory with one, then it's a fail.

I'm sure that was always a fail...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
That only applies to diesel manufactured after a certain year.

If I take the cat off my 106 1.5D, it'll still pass due to its age.

Same goes for the DPF thing. DPF delete is only "illegal" on cars built after a certain year.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Are you sure, the MOT Special Notice didn't have a date that I spotted? If you're sure of that what is the cut off?
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 08:43 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Are you sure, the MOT Special Notice didn't have a date that I spotted? If you're sure of that what is the cut off?

DPF is fitted to new diesel cars, mandatory after 2009 when euro 5 standards came along.

If the car has had a dpf fitted new and manufactured before September 2009, it will only be designed to euro 4 emissions then you could potentially rule bend there if someone had removed a dpf. since DPF wasn't mandatory on euro 4 cars.

I guess this is going to become one of those "famous" grey areas nobody really knows about Tongue
Thanks given by:
(18-02-2014, 08:02 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: It's not gonna be an issue I dont think but because it's easier to remove some systems than repair they will get removed like air bags and abs that these days people can't drive without. When I learnt to drive we didn't have abs, we had to cadence brake but now your told to rely on the abs and I cant remember the last time I drove a car without traction control.

Imho, if you have to rely on ABS, you cant brake properly and need to learn how
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 09:08 PM)Martin306 Wrote: DPF is fitted to new diesel cars, mandatory after 2009 when euro 5 standards came along.

If the car has had a dpf fitted new and manufactured before September 2009, it will only be designed to euro 4 emissions then you could potentially rule bend there if someone had removed a dpf. since DPF wasn't mandatory on euro 4 cars.

I guess this is going to become one of those "famous" grey areas nobody really knows about Tongue

No, it says where a diesel car had a CAT or DPF fitted as standard, it must be present. It's not just DPFs, so you're still f*cked Tongue
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2014, 09:55 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote:
(20-02-2014, 09:08 PM)Martin306 Wrote: DPF is fitted to new diesel cars, mandatory after 2009 when euro 5 standards came along.

No, it says where a diesel car had a CAT or DPF fitted as standard, it must be present. It's not just DPFs, so you're still f*cked Tongue

Actually, no I'm not Wink because I have a 1995 engine. Since that's updated on my V5 it has to be tested to 1995 standards. No cat here Tongue

but if I had my original 2001 engine, then I guess it would still need the cat fitted. But how would that be checked?
Thanks given by:
Im a tester its up to the presenter to prove engine swap. Its tested to whats older the car or engine. Also just saying if you want a de-cat and want it to pass put the cat in the system with the middle knocked out. We cant see inside cant prove it has nothing in.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 09:08 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(20-02-2014, 08:43 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Are you sure, the MOT Special Notice didn't have a date that I spotted? If you're sure of that what is the cut off?

DPF is fitted to new diesel cars, mandatory after 2009 when euro 5 standards came along.

But remember Renault made the 1.5dCi which is EuroV compliant but doesn't have a DPF...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Nope, I don't remember.

kthxbai
Thanks given by:
So iv got a 2.0 16v 307 if i was to unbolt the dpf and remove the insides and map it out, would it still pass? what is the benefits from removing it apart from the costs of repairing faults?
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 03:24 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: So iv got a 2.0 16v 307 if i was to unbolt the dpf and remove the insides and map it out, would it still pass? what is the benefits from removing it apart from the costs of repairing faults?

Less restriction in the exhaust, so more efficient overall?

It will pass, they can't see inside it. you would have to leave the pipes in to make it look like it's still there.
Thanks given by:
Would it still pass a smoke test?
Thanks given by:
Smoke test shouldn't be a problem, you've gotta be really blowing coal to fail it! Though it depends which year as to what the smoke limit isafaik.
Thanks given by:
Can't say if it will pass or not but the emission rules change from 2008 models they half from previously turbo diesel engine
So it depends what year
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I was reading a leaflet from an exhaist company at a 4x4 show couple weeks ago. The were selling a new type of decat. Which looked like a cat (empty box basicaly)

But the leaflet was saying it only applys to post 2001 cars (cars in the new tax brackets) but iv seen no mension of that in this thread. Any one have any in put on this?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by: