The dog rough estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dog rough estate
What have I bought?

[Image: 1510830_607571512641337_272050592_n_zps81021d0f.jpg]

So after a 5 hour train trip I picked up the dog rough estate on Friday.

There was no head unit so I  took a spare to find no speakers fitted. Lee offered to fit some he had but they were from a phase one and would have to be modded to fit as the connectors weren't the same. I was a bit short of time so had to pass.

It is every bit the dog that was advertised but it got me back home. The battery light came on a couple of times but the car kept going.

The car is very slow and loose to drive. I think the cold starting issue might be to do with bad injectors and/or HP pump. Starting issue was down to the Injectors , replaced them with cleaned nozzles 076's 03/04/15

Today I got chance to have a good look around it as on Friday evening it had got dark by the time I had got there and all I can say is it's in a bad way.

I thought I'd have a look at the fuel filter as they sometimes never get changed. When I got the lid off it didn't look too bad but I replaced it anyway. The lid was very stiff to turn and I think I could do with changing it now as it got a bit mangled.

Some of the other faults;

all door check straps need replacing, Lubricated check strap, only N/S/R needs replacing 16/02/14
drivers door hinge broken, Fixed, it was just missing bolt 14/03/14
front passenger door has been replaced but the bolts were loose, tightened bolts 15/02/14
loose battery terminal, Bodged repair to clamp 16/02/14
no remote C/L. Programmed new remote fob to car 16/03/14
Only one key. Programmed new key transponder to car
water in passenger footwell, Sealed front doors weather curtain 01/03/14
light switch on stalk broken, Replaced 15/03/14
rev counter broken, Fixed, reseated needle 16/02/14
airbag light on, Fixed, Drivers seat connection 15/02/14
ABS light on, Fixed, osf plug wasn't connected 15/02/14
hand brake warning light blown, fixed
wiper rubbers gone hard, replaced front wipers 15/02/14
clutch almost to the floor and heavy, removed assistor spring on peddle and spaced out cable on fork to raise pedal 15/02/14
Glow plug relay faulty. Replaced unit 15/03/14
dampers need replacing (offside front damper has been on the advisory of the MOT for the last 3 years), Replaced front dampers with good used dampers of a HDI Dturbo, will be using the springs too soon 13/04/14
rear discs need changing, Replaced discs and pads 14/04/14

needs fluids changing, 
engine oil, Oil and filter change 21/04/14
coolant, Drained going to flush before putting new coolant in 21/04/14
power steering, Drained went took engine out 21/04/14
brake fluid,
Overdue cambelt and water pump, changed cam belt kit and water pump 217k water pump had four out of the eight vanes broken 21/04/14
thermostat, Changed thermostat 21/04/14
thermostat housing leaking, Replaced housing as the old one was warped 23/04/14
auxiliary belt need replacing, replaced with tensioner 21/04/14
missing offside skirt, 
missing trim on offside wing,
dent to bonnet,
boot trim above number plate wrong colour (makes it look like the boots got a mustache),
loose front bumper,
scratch down to metal on the wing,
paint worn off offside wing mirror cap,
rear number plate delaminating,
oil marks on paint work,
NSR ach liner missing, I hope that rust spot hasn't set in.

That's just off the top of my head.

Good points;
Rear beam with no camber (Just found the rear beam and mounts to be shot 14/04/14)
Brakes work well
All the electric windows work front and back
Heater works

I was warned that it was bad. I don't know how people can let a car get so bad. I know it's not Lees fault as he only had the car around a month.

I bought it thinking I could do a bit of work on it and it could turn out to be a nice little car.

There is a lot of work to be done to get it to an acceptable standard.

The advert http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=20329

The old project thread http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=20151

My plans at this stage are to get it to a roadworthy standard then I may go stage 2.

I've ordered an R70 pump and I will be putting the old injectors out of my Dturbo in. Hopefully that will cure the starting issue. I've also got a twin pass intercooler on it's way.

I will be adding some photos later.

======================================================

Edit 16/02/14

Just remembered some more faults;
Offside front and nearside front door seals worn. Replaced 15/03/14
Mist jets off a 206 or similar added so spraying at bottom of windscreen. Replaced with proper centre screen firing mist jet (15/03/14)
Mucky MAF got new VDO one fitted today.
Badly torn drivers seat. Replaced 15/03/14
Central locking a bit dodgy, drivers lock pin won't lock car and front passenger activates the locking but the lock just bounce back up. Replaced drivers door loom (18/03/14)
Rear wash jet missing.
Dodgy hand brake.

Edit 02/03/14

Found some more faults,
Drivers door damaged where check strap bolts on Bent back metal and used large washers on check strap to grip what metal is there. (18/03/14)
O/S P bush needs replacing Replaced wishbones 14/04/14
Both outer CV boots split, Replaced both drive shafts with old ones off my hatchback 21/04/14
Radiator bent but still holds coolant with out leaking, Replaced with cheap new one 21/04/14
Damaged rad fan,
Missing splash guards in engine bay,
Front fog light loose, maybe broken mounts,

Edit 16/03/14

Yet more faults;
N/S/F brake disc missing it's screws, this caused the disc to be off centre and made the car shake at 60mph. fixed 16/03/14
Turbo "air hose seal" split (1424 9L). Replaced with one from breakers 21/04/14
Squeaky heater fan.
O/S/R brake disc guard rusted loose.
O/S/F brake disc cracked.
Hand brake lever a bit dodgy.

Edit 13-04-14

Guess what even more faults

Trailing arm on drivers side loads of play. Replaced with rebuilt beam (04/05/14)
Trailing arm front bushes shot. Replaced when doing beam (04/05/14)
Rear calipers both sides main piston rubber damaged
Rear calipers both sides sliders need greasing
Hand brake cables not the best
TRE both sides have splits in the rubber

Photos that Lee took
[Image: DSCN0305_zpsitvmcc5o.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0304_zpsqstiqtxs.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0303_zpsg0aqya3o.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0302_zps4ts5kvya.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0312_zpsel72xf7d.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0306_zpsbfzxkqih.jpg]

Photos of some of the problem areas,
[Image: DSCN8501_zpsa5eb02dd.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8502_zpsffac9c07.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8497_zpsf16cd2b6.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8496_zps1799aa18.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8495_zps0628c640.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8493_zps7bcecdce.jpg]
How does the paint get worn here?

[Image: DSCN8473_zpsd2188747.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8509_zpsd8108c5f.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good man, bringing it back to life! May i ask why you bought it?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The dogs are the best mate. Mine is 160k overdue a cam belt and nearly as rough as yours but I love it to pieces, genuinely one of my favourite 306s and it's never really failed to get me somewhere.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 11:53 PM)Tom Wrote: Good man, bringing it back to life! May i ask why you bought it?

I bought it because of the cheap tax, I need something else to take karting as my Dturbo is a three door and a little impracticable. Also I'm sick if it getting dirty/damaged.

(15-02-2014, 11:56 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The dogs are the best mate. Mine is 160k overdue a cam belt and nearly as rough as yours but I love it to pieces, genuinely one of my favourite 306s and it's never really failed to get me somewhere.

It definitely has character, I'll give it that.

I think this one might be overdue a belt and pump also, I better add that to the list.
Thanks given by:
Meh thats a pretty good reason :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Also I like a challenge lol
Thanks given by:
Long time no speak!

Looks like a great project dee!

Need any help on sourcing parts or advice let me know mate Smile
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hey James, yeah I'll get a list sorted. I need to pop over to Derby to pick up my IC so I could pick up then.

What are you breaking at the moment?

I could do with half leather seats, front door cards, some front dampers and a master cylinder to fit to my Dturbo. Do you have mist jet washer that work right on the 306? That's all I can think of at the moment.
Thanks given by:
I've got a 1.6 in at the moment possibly a HDI soon but contact with the bloke isn't great to be honest.

I have half leather leaf pattern seats, and hdi master cylinder dampers I don't have unfortunately but you let me know still got me number?

Will have to have a catch up bud!
Thanks given by:
James, are you still on the same number, as I've sent you a message on whatsapp.

Wow, I've spent the amount I've paid for the car on the car, but most the bits I've bought I would have had to on most 306's these days.

I missed out last week on a mint one for £450. All that one needed was the injectors reseating and a cv boot.
Thanks given by:
I've not done much on it today, only fitted the new MAF and diagnosed that it's the drivers seat belt pretensioner that causing the airbag light.

While I had pp2000 plugged in I thought I'd look at the starting issue and for some strange reason the car started on the first crank of the key. So either the new MAF, fuel filter or that it was just luck and the warmer day helped it start I don't know. I will try it in the morning before work.

I also tried messing with the rev counter again to no avail.
Thanks given by:
Dee ive had that issue with my rev counter when i fitted my plasma dials. It was trying to calibrate its self but going past the stop. I found taking the needle off, putting it on at about 3k and switching the ignition on sorted it. I had to do it a few times mind before it did it properly.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Did Lee buy it off Stevie Wonder? lol Seriously though, never know how people can let a car get to such a state!

That mirror cap was replaced I reckon, and just given one quick coat of spray paint.
Thanks given by:
You're a braver man then me trying to save that!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ah, i didn't realise this was the uber-rare "idian" spec 306 estate! lol

Good luck with this man, looks like you're gonna need it! That, and a boatload of patience, as well as potentially quite deep pockets. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 07:06 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Ah, i didn't realise this was the uber-rare "idian" spec 306 estate! lol

Yeah, it came with quarter leather, quarter foam seats as pictured. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 06:08 PM)Niall Wrote: Dee ive had that issue with my rev counter when i fitted my plasma dials. It was trying to calibrate its self but going past the stop. I found taking the needle off, putting it on at about 3k and switching the ignition on sorted it. I had to do it a few times mind before it did it properly.

I'll give that a go. I've noticed that all the other dials seem to have a stop but the rev counter doesn't. I thought the stop might have broken so I did a pikey fix by adding a stop lol. I'll post photos in a min and a video.

(16-02-2014, 06:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Did Lee buy it off Stevie Wonder? lol Seriously though, never know how people can let a car get to such a state!

That mirror cap was replaced I reckon, and just given one quick coat of spray paint.

Yeah, your probably right there. It might have been ok if they had used primer first.

(16-02-2014, 06:35 PM)Ricky Wrote: You're a braver man then me trying to save that!

I just need something mechanically sound at the moment. The cosmetics isn't to much of a concern at the moment but I can see it starting to get to me. There was a mint one I missed out on for £450, that only needed a bit of work.- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-PEUGEOT-3...true&rt=nc
Thanks given by:
They shouldn't have a stop? The speedo and rev counter are self calibrating dials so will change them selves to 0 if they are ever moved when the car is first turned on. Hence why occasionally you will notice the dials move ever so slightly a few seconds after you turn the car off. Thats because they have gone out of calibration on the last drive
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 07:40 PM)Niall Wrote: They shouldn't have a stop? The speedo and rev counter are self calibrating dials so will change them selves to 0 if they are ever moved when the car is first turned on. Hence why occasionally you will notice the dials move ever so slightly a few seconds after you turn the car off. Thats because they have gone out of calibration on the last drive

Nice one Niall, got it sorted now Smile

Just the next 101 things to sort out now.
Thanks given by:
The problems I had with the clocks.
http://youtu.be/Dp0pktZTZI4

I tried moving the needle to 6k.
http://youtu.be/hfn0yDQ2Itk

My pikey fix.
http://youtu.be/SXNamVDe_VI

But thanks to Niall it's fixed properly now.
Thanks given by:
Well left it a day and a half and it started in the morning without the need of chemical assistance from starter sprays.

I think the new MAF or the temporary repair I've done to the battery connector might have sorted it. The battery sounded a bit low, the engine turned over very slowly and I thought it wasn't going to start but as I was about to stop cranking it burst into life.

I've got the battery on charge tonight, fitting it in the morning and I'll be driving the car into work tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Nice to hear your making some
Progress with this dee, just let me know about the list bud
Thanks given by:
Will do, sorry to pull out on the other bits. I will see what the next payslip looks like hopefully I can get all the other bits too Smile
Thanks given by:
Alright see not too worry just let me know as this weekend is a 2day off for me so I can sort the bits for you bud
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's not even worth scrap, you'd have to pay me to take it away but glad you're bringing it back from the dead (or is it past that stage?) Lol be interesting to watch this :-)
Thanks given by:
And I thought mine was bad! Good luck with it!
[Image: Untitled_zps2ed48460.png]
Thanks given by:
Hope you can make it good look in again..
Thanks given by:
Today I drove it to work to store there and while at work I gave it a quick vacuum.

Surprisingly it started up really well this morning. I'm thinking the battery might need replacing soon as it was turning over pretty slowly.

It looks like I could do with ripping out all the interior, give the carpets a good wash out of the car and dry them out before refitting.

I also need to find out where the water is getting in the car, my bets are the door weather curtains.

(19-02-2014, 02:05 PM)JethroJay Wrote: Looks like it's not even worth scrap, you'd have to pay me to take it away but glad you're bringing it back from the dead (or is it past that stage?) Lol be interesting to watch this :-)

The car is that bad I couldn't even break it for parts as all the parts a nackard and worn out! It's saddening seeing all the 306's being broken on eBay.

Saying that I could do with getting one to break to use the parts for this.

(19-02-2014, 03:06 PM)Aaron35 Wrote: And I thought mine was bad! Good luck with it!

I couldn't get over you getting yours for £100! I'd like to see photos of your's, how bad is it?

I did pay too much for mine, I think after the 5 hour trip on the trains wiped me out. I should have tried to get some money off it.

(19-02-2014, 04:05 PM)jonas306 Wrote: Hope you can make it good look in again..

Me to, I'm going to try getting it mechanically sound first then the exterior I think.
Thanks given by:
I didn't get any pics of the inside when I first bought it unfortunately! I'll get some more recent ones up on my thread some time this week!
[Image: Untitled_zps2ed48460.png]
Thanks given by:
http://youtu.be/4EtM5etK4Rk
Dodgy starting issue.
It seems not to have done it since adjusting the battery connectors.

http://youtu.be/enKhmZLmHvo
Inlet issue.
I think it might be the rubber between the inlet and turbo, a boost leak or EGR not closing properly.

(20-02-2014, 02:18 PM)Aaron35 Wrote: I didn't get any pics of the inside when I first bought it unfortunately! I'll get some more recent ones up on my thread some time this week!

Yeah, please do.
Thanks given by: