IM Axles - Any good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IM Axles - Any good?
My beam is starting to get a bit tired now so looking at getting a refurbished one. Ive been looking around and you can get them for about 350ish but IM axles are doing them for 290 delivered if you return your old one which is fine by me. Seems cheap but its a name I've heard a lot. Anyone have any experience of them and their products?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Speak to Hovis (greig) for his experiences
Thanks given by:
They have not been good in the past but getting better. I believe they are supplying euros now so they will need to up their game.

If you do buy, check they supply the correct beam with the correct anti roll and torsion bars.
Thanks given by:
Have you used them in the past then Mark?
I was tempted to have a go my self but tbh, for the money id rather just pay someone to do it and have the warranty with it incase it goes wrong.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
They wouldn't exchange a standard HDi beam for a Xsara VTS one (upgrade) even when I said I would pay extra for it, so business must be very good for them to turn it away like that!

They come pretty well recommended by Carl Chambers.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I haven't but have been at Kris's when a number of people have bought their cars to Kris's for fitting and lowering.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 10:27 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: I haven't but have been at Kris's when a number of people have bought their cars to Kris's for fitting and lowering.

and?
Thanks given by:
All they do is change the shafts and bearings, you get nothing else......and for £300 and your old beam??? No chance.

You can do it yourself for £100.
Thanks given by:
i can recommend these

http://sspengineering.co.uk/
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2014, 05:29 PM)cully Wrote: i can recommend these

http://sspengineering.co.uk/

Good shout forgot about them.
Old school engineering and they do the job properly
Thanks given by:
they did mine but a had a oilite conversion cost my 300plus nit including arb or hubs. no major issues just a squeak on cold mornings due to the bushes.
306 Rallye giving people a surprise because they think shes a 1.6 ;-) Silly people
Thanks given by:
Basically I have seen 3 or 4 different axles from them that were new, with either the wrong torsion or anti roll bars in.
Thanks given by:
I certainly wouldn't buy one with Oilite bushes.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Whys that Rip? Are they no good?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
All I say is work it out, I do beams but they start at £340.00 up to and over £1000.00, Mind I only use OE spec stuff and replace it all unlike reconditioning

I have seen some other's and have seen detail things not right like wrong bolts used on the Torsion bars
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
what beam do you want/need?

got one here ready to go.
Thanks given by:
A standard GTi beam will do just fine but if i had one with VTS bars or a hybrid arb, i certainly wouldn't complain!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 04:59 PM)Niall Wrote: Whys that Rip? Are they no good?

Completely the wrong sort of bush/bearing to use for the application. It's like the 101 for 'what not to use Oilite for'
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 09:31 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(16-02-2014, 04:59 PM)Niall Wrote: Whys that Rip? Are they no good?

Completely the wrong sort of bush/bearing to use for the application. It's like the 101 for 'what not to use Oilite for'

lol fair enough.
Looks like I'm spending a bit more then. Not that its really an issue as id rather it lasted and wasn't just bodged together. Mind you, how difficult is it to rebuild a rear beam? I know how to do it but never done one. My current one has no camber at all but i want to get it done for peace of mind really and because i seem to have a slight knock occasionally.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Iv had two in the past ...ordered gti spec beams and ended up with smaller torsion bars/arb despite specifying different ...
Thanks given by:
If you catch it before it goes, not difficult at all, and cheap, it's when the bearings start to wear the stub axles or beam tube that you have issues, if people did the beams as piece of mind/maintenance before they started to creak/camber the whole Pug rear beam thing would be a non-issue.
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 09:38 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: If you catch it before it goes, not difficult at all, and cheap, it's when the bearings start to wear the stub axles or beam tube that you have issues, if people did the beams as piece of mind/maintenance before they started to creak/camber the whole Pug rear beam thing would be a non-issue.

Ok and i assume that camber is a sign of the bearings being FUBAR'd and wearing the stub axles and tube?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Generally.
Thanks given by:
They're good. Did mine for me and they'll lower it for u so all u have to do is bolt it on.

Well worth the money.
Thanks given by:
luck of the draw i guess.
306 Rallye giving people a surprise because they think shes a 1.6 ;-) Silly people
Thanks given by:
got a rebuilt unit with gti torsion bars and arb in it, could stick 21mm bars in it for a little extra.

need it disc or drum?
Thanks given by:
Disc mate. PM me a price please mate Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to buy 145mm stub axles? Wolverine1091 2 1,131 20-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Wolverine1091
  Berling and 306 rear axles. Darren123 2 1,631 28-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Darren123