Air Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Filter
This may sound silly but anyway got my mot out the way so thought i would try and start fixing some niggles with the car, first up a service....

Just wondering if there is any point in fitting an aftermarket panel filter to my car over the standard one, i know it will last long but is it worth the money and is the only benefit it lasts longer? I presume it will be slightly more responsive with it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-2-...53f97c37df

thanks for any help
Thanks given by:
A filter like that one you linked to will always be an improvement over the standard filter....as you say they will last longer, as they are washable, but they will also flow more air, improving performance by allowing your engine to "breathe" easier. Might not be a big gain, but it will be an improvement from stock. Couple it with a decent, free-flowing exhaust, and you'll see a nice increase in power.

As to whether its worth it......yes. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So long as its a dry filter and not oiled.
The oil will soon ruin your MAF Meter
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
for the price i say not bother
std air filter flows well enough for std engine or stg1 tune
and you dont run the risk of killing the MAF sensor with oil additives from an oiled filter
Thanks given by:
In short it might give you more power (depending on what state of tune your car currently is in) but will ruin your MAF sensor and these are £80+ a go
Thanks given by:
Stick it paper, performance panels might give you a few ponies but you won't notice until your maf dies and the car runs like crap
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Pipercross filters like the one linked are dry, so won't kill the MAF.

If you intend to keep the car for at least 40k, its probably cheaper in the long run to get one. Though you wont notice a difference in sound or performance at all from experience.
Thanks given by:
I used a Pipercross panel and it was always annoying vs paper.

Hard to oil just the right amount, hard to clean, then you had to leave it out of the car to dry which meant you couldn't use the car... and had to remember to put it back in.

Also I often found particles suspended in oil at the clean side of the air filter box, so I wasn't sure about how good it was for keeping the air clean either.

All in, paper ones just work. Inside the OEM air box with ram air feed they are also restriction free in essence, so no matter what filter you replace the paper one with it's not gonna be any better.

Simply put, use a completely OEM intake system because it's perfectly fine out to about 180bhp.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Not sure how long ago that was Dave, but Pipercross use all dry filters now as far as I'm aware. I've had a panel and a cone by them, and both were made using layered foam so no need to oil.
Thanks given by: