Diesel Decat = MOT Failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Decat = MOT Failure
As below (just spotted on Pistonheads)

[Image: OcHcQUDt.png?0203]

Bummer, eh?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
The devil is in the detail - if it's only a visual inspection (which I'm guessing will be the case) then it's not the end of the world IMO as it's easy enough to just remove the internals from the original cat and/or weld a cat outer shell to a "proper" de-cat pipe to get around the issue.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Just opens up the market for decat pipes that look like the real thing.

There's going to be a ton of people fail their MOT this year who've had cats and DPF's removed - I hope they kept the old one just incase.
Thanks given by:
Meh find an old chap to do your mots that doesnt read the notice :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
just put a cat in for the MOT then swap it back after the mot.
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine just passed an mot with a decat in place.

/thread
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 02:40 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Mine just passed an mot with a decat in place.

/thread

Changes take place from 16th February...:p

My local MOT dude is friendly enough, this probably won't be a problem for him. Just thought I'd post it as a warning to others...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I haven't a clue how they will enforce this with respect to older diesels as it is often hit and miss if they were originally fitted with a cat. ServiceBox doesn't know if my 406 left the factory with a cat or not, it lists 2 kinds of centre section exhaust, there's no way an MOT tester will be able to tell. Also I don't think it's entirely fair to retrospectively apply this. They're basically telling people that after many years of legal motoring they'll potentially have to fork out £300 for a cat. If they're moving the goal posts it really should be applied from a certain date.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Meh, ill just carry on regardless for now then, as always! lol
Thanks given by:
I guess it will be for cars from a certain age, like on petrol engines after 1992 for example.

Guess anyone with a phase 3 xud doesn't need to worry as long as the engine conversion is on the logbook
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 03:06 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I guess it will be for cars from a certain age, like on petrol engines after 1992 for example.

Guess anyone with a phase 3 xud doesn't need to worry as long as the engine conversion is on the logbook

As above don't worry about it just use the body with no gut in it and for phase 3 conversion we test on what older the car or engine so say it's a phase one and no probs
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 03:14 PM)mikey b Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 03:06 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I guess it will be for cars from a certain age, like on petrol engines after 1992 for example.

As above don't worry about it just use the body with no gut in it and for phase 3 conversion we test on what older the car or engine so say it's a phase one and no probs

How would you know if the engine was a ph1 or ph2? As all the ph2 DTs had cats afaik?

Anyway, petrol decats have been illegal for years, and plenty of people still use them, cant see this changing anything tbh.
Thanks given by:
It's the same every year... New rules which seem to make little to no difference.

At the end of the day, if the car is safe and passes the tests it needs to - it's fine.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Wont effect this kinda stuff as far as i can see. They couldnt win any argument that your car had a cat, as some didnt wel early ph1's anyway, but either way, I really cant see it being an issue.

Newer stuff that all had DPF's however, i can see that being a big issue for people!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I still recon it goes by the tester tbh,
Thanks given by:
Hollowed out dpf ftw.

I was chatting to my tester, he doesn't care, said that most dpfs are now out of sight behind undertrays they aren't permitted to remove.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Mine passed it's mot with a decat, passed on emissions too Smile
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Lol, mine actually had almost 0 emissions this year, wonder if the holey exhaust made a difference... lmao
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2014, 05:50 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Lol, mine actually had almost 0 emissions this year, wonder if the holey exhaust made a difference... lmao

Tongue ahaa, I think I have a blowing in my exhaust somewhere, can't quite figure it out as the cars so noisy lol
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
If you listen carefully on tick over you can hear mine blowing, but the rushing of air noise that you can hear when the turbo comes on song is more of a giveaway. Wink lol
Thanks given by:
It's gotta be really smokey to fail a smoke test tbh lol. It's not a difficult test to pass!
Thanks given by:
Lucky I know a friendly tester Smile
Thanks given by:
Bit of veg oil, sorts emissions out no problem Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Hmmmm, will have to see how this pans out for HDi's then. Bit daft though, as said about DPFs being hidden by undertrays and stuff?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MOT failure rocker8742 26 5,410 29-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough
  MOT failure :-( dec-66 4 1,881 20-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Last Post: samass