Altanator belt rattle sound

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Altanator belt rattle sound
Rainbow 
My altanator belt has a rattle sound. If I put water on the altanator belt if clears. Also if I rev lightly it clears then comes back.

It's had a full cambelt kit with a new altanator belt fitted 10,000 miles ago. It was fine then but the last 1000 miles or less the noise started.

I think it's a pulley but not sure which one that's the problem. There must be way's to see which one it might be?

306 hdi

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Take aux belt off and spin the pulleys
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As above, it'll be a dying pulley or tensioner bearing.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
The car had a new altantor belt. So I will get a new tensioner I had a look at the black plastic wheel it's not smooth so it must need changing.
Thanks given by:
Could be one of the tensioners, might even be the bottom pulley as mine rattled when it was on it's last legs.

You say you had a new belt, has it been tensioned up correctly, as when i had my new belt fitted they didn't tension it up properly, they hadn't adjusted it using the manual tensioner and all that was tensioning it was the spring loaded one, and mine rattled and the noise was the spring loaded tensioner hitting it's stops.

So i just tensioned it correctly with the manual one first and then all was good, you could notice it as you could see the belt bouncing on the longest part of the run at the bottom between the crank pulley and aircon compressor.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jingle Jangle rattle noise? tigerstyle 9 2,123 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Rattle on lift off? JTaylor2005 9 1,887 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  The real cause of injector rattle? JTaylor2005 136 33,547 27-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Paul_13