Wishbone front bush bolt to subframe nut retainer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishbone front bush bolt to subframe nut retainer?
Has anyone come accross this problem before? undo the front bolt on the wishbone and it just turns :-( not really sure the best way to get it out now, so much for a simple job!! Got the wheel off the wiggled the drive shaft, the bearing collapsed too, just to add to the fun!
Ideas on the best way to remove the bolt and also ideas for refitting too please

Matt
Thanks given by:
I think theres a small gap to the side of the nut and you can just see it if so then jam a screwdriver in there and lever on it to hold the nut so that you can get the bolt out.

It has happened to a couple of people on here before, i remember reading the thread but cant remember who it was.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right o mate, yeh there is a hole behind it I'll have to try that tommerow thanks
Matt
Thanks given by:
I had to weld mine, it even broke the weld it was that tight. Good luck
Thanks given by:
SRowell had this problem on one of his as well, think it was the estate but not sure. IIRC he just jammed a screwdriver in...
Thanks given by:
Its just what to do when tightening it back up, weld a nut in there?
Thanks given by:
replace the nut with a new one from a dealer.
Thanks given by:
i wasn't sure if its a easy part to get hold of, i know what pug are like! i did look on the service box and got a part number so ill try it on monday, just wondered if others had the same problem and there ways of getting out of it lol.
Thanks given by:
Update.....had another go at getting the wishbone off, the bolt had seized inside the bush, so out comes the gas, cut off the old wishbone and fit new!! So much for a 1/2 hour job lol plenty of wd40 before trying to remove, or copper grease when refitting
Thanks given by:
I warned you! I welded the nut solid to my subframe and it was snapping WELD! lol I was astonished! Not looking forward to fitting my powerflex bushes now lol
Thanks given by:
Problem i had was the wishbone captive nut at the back of the wishbone wasnt really captive any more... The metal clip that held it came out. I got a grinder and ground down the subframe enough to get a spanner in there to hold the nut. It worked but it took forever!
Thanks given by:
Yeah that was my problem, I couldn't wedge a screwdriver in to stop it turning and didnt want to cut/bend the subframe so cracked the welder out lol!

Plenty of copper slip on the way back in hopefully help fot next time it has to come off (will be me again unfortunately)
Thanks given by:
Yeh that happened to me and it was a pain! I didnt have a welder but did have a 10mm tip belt sander so made a hole to get a spanner in. Nightmare.
Thanks given by:
Have this on my HDI, have been avoiding doing it and just left it parked up lol, need to do it soon
Thanks given by:
All done now! Break out the gas, and bolts!!
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2014, 07:27 PM)mattgreene Wrote: i wasn't sure if its a easy part to get hold of, i know what pug are like! i did look on the service box and got a part number so ill try it on monday, just wondered if others had the same problem and there ways of getting out of it lol.

What's the part number please. My bolt is half way out but got so tight the socket is just jumping over it not rounding it but even a 6 sided impact is jumping. Might have to cut it off if heat doesn't work so I will need a new nut and bolt possibly.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
I just used a normal bolt and a nylon nut, I got a dremel in the subframe so I can hold the nut with the spanner, just get the gas in the back and cut the nut off, spin out the bolt with the gun
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Ok mate, be brutal but if u have to cut if at all make sure that you cut the bolt on the inside of the subframe, if you cut the head off, there isn't enough room to tap it out backwards, found out the hard way!!
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Is this the nut. I've got the bolt out a little bit. [Image: ehega2y4.jpg][Image: e4ehavuj.jpg]
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah its a captive nut, right lady garden to sort when it inevitably snaps off.
Thanks given by:
Exactly the same as mine did, ideally u want a gas torch, melt the nut off the back then spin the bolt out with a impact gun
Thanks given by:
I just welded the nut to the subframe, has done grand for me so far, fingers crossed.
Thanks given by:
yeh good plan, i just renewed the bolt and nut, i didnt fancy it shearing off!!
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2014, 06:07 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Yeah its a captive nut, right lady garden to sort when it inevitably snaps off.

With mine would snap now. Ha. It moves slightly but is extremely tight and the socket jumps the bolt.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
try a slightly smaller socket, that needs tapping on the bolt
Thanks given by:
Yeah the bolt was f*cking tight on mine lol, it kept snapping the weld, there was a dam mountain welded round it before it stayed still
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2014, 06:42 PM)mattgreene Wrote: try a slightly smaller socket, that needs tapping on the bolt

I have hammered a 11/16th think it was over it but it's only 1/4"drive ideally I need to buy a 1/2"drive to put on the end of my breaker bar or impact gun
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
i bet it helped it having the heat in there, then cooling

yeh i would 1/4 wont take a lot of greif, i used 1" drive but then i work with diggers too!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powerflex Front Wishbone Bushes gti6man 2 2,075 16-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: miles
  Front end bush kits Eddleston 8 1,869 03-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  P Bush PocketFighter 7 2,506 09-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Last Post: PocketFighter