Do I Decat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I Decat?
Is it worth getting my 1.8 decatted? the one on it now is shot, blowing like crazy! was thinking about getting a normal one and just doing a straight swap etc, but i'm edging towards having it decatted, one question is if I decat it what do I do with the Lambda sensor?
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
You won't really see many gains with just a decat, maybe a little more rasp/change in exhaust tone. With an aftermarket system it's good for pops and bangs... You connect your lambda like normal. Bear in mind though, you'll still need a cat for the MOT...
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2014, 10:29 PM)Curt Wrote: You won't really see many gains with just a decat, maybe a little more rasp/change in exhaust tone. With an aftermarket system it's good for pops and bangs... You connect your lambda like normal. Bear in mind though, you'll still need a cat for the MOT...

I can get a change in exhaust tone by changing the backbox, may just get a normal Cat then... also the garage know me so they could probably pass it without a catalytic converter Big Grin
Thanks given by:
You won't get the same change by changing the back box, it's a more subtle difference. I love the sound of a good decatted exhaust, but it depends what you want to achieve.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2014, 10:43 PM)Curt Wrote: You won't get the same change by changing the back box, it's a more subtle difference. I love the sound of a good decatted exhaust, but it depends what you want to achieve.

I only want a subtle difference to be honest, not one of these guys that wants a car to be stupidly loud, i'll probably decat it because I've found a decat pipe fairly cheap
Thanks given by:
Hello. Right I have a 1.8 and it has a decat. It sounds awesome. I also have a straight through centre section. So the only box left in the system is the standard back box. Sounds pretty good and its loud but not all the time. only when you put your foot down.

Ill be fitting a gti6 exhaust soon so decat will be spare.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2014, 11:23 PM)SRowell Wrote: Hello. Right I have a 1.8 and it has a decat. It sounds awesome. I also have a straight through centre section. So the only box left in the system is the standard back box. Sounds pretty good and its loud but not all the time. only when you put your foot down.

Cheers for the reply, sounds good! what did you do with the sensor then?
Thanks given by:
Sam your's definitely had a distintive sound lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
1.8 with no cat isn't as quick, you lose a lot of low-down torque instantly. Yes, it sounds good but you have to really wind the revs up to get whatever gain in performance there may (or may not) be. I even noticed it when pulling away from a standstill or at roundabouts, you had to give it more of a poke to get it moving. If I could go back I'd keep mine. Better yet, if you have the means, fit GTi6 exhaust manifold and cat/downpipe as I reckon this is the best of both worlds.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2014, 11:23 PM)SRowell Wrote: Hello. Right I have a 1.8 and it has a decat. It sounds awesome. I also have a straight through centre section. So the only box left in the system is the standard back box. Sounds pretty good and its loud but not all the time. only when you put your foot down.

Decat still going spare?
Thanks given by:
After market cats are pants and you will be replacing it in a twelve month so if it's blowing slap on a decat or weld repair what you have if possible?
Thanks given by:
Is this the same with universal sports cats? or just the oe replacement
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFzwYtyaMLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5kt2XjAcM
Thanks given by: