Fumes..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fumes..
I think fumes are getting through to the inside of my 306.. When i get in the car after a day or so, it smells of exhaust fumes?

Are there any areas that could allow ingression of exhaust fumes? Anywhere under the car/sills?

The obvious would be a leaking exhaust manifold..then fumes getting in through heaters but i've even tried driving around with heaters turned off!

Would like some opinions please that i can check and eliminate. Cheers
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
id still put money on a leaky exhaust somewhere
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
On my brother in laws old 306, the join between mid section and backbox had perished and exhaust was getting in via the rear wheel arch. Turned out he had a hole about the size of a football under all the plastics!!!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
He had a hole in the plastics?

I had a massive leak at the midbox/rear box flange too (well what was supposed to be a flange anyway...)

Ripped the box off and welded a pipe in a few weeks bk so it could just be a case of the smoke smell lingering as mine coals like a train and must have gt in from the rear.

I've carried a Carbon monoxide monitor with me, but only after repairing the exhaust so i'm not sure.

The welded pipe is a bodge, its created a sharp angle and the pipe has been hamered in to the mid pipe (only small diameter pipe i had lying around..) would this cause noticeable restriction?

Thanks given by:
n0v0s Wrote:He had a hole in the plastics?

306's can have a habit of rusting the metal in the rear arches, this could allow gases into the cabin as once it's past the shell it can find ways through the plastic trim.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:
n0v0s Wrote:He had a hole in the plastics?

306's can have a habit of rusting the metal in the rear arches, this could allow gases into the cabin as once it's past the shell it can find ways through the plastic trim.

^This. It wasn't in the plastic itself. The rear arch had no liner so the rain water/salt from the road rusted the metal, it was just hidden by the seats and trim.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Confusedhock:

I'll have a look! Cheers.

Thanks given by:
IIRC its the 3 doors don't have an arch liner on the passenger rear for some reason and the rusty hole is a common issue with them because of this, what makes it worse is that they normally go around where the rear seat belt bolts to which can't be a good thing, pretty easy fix though if you know someone with a welder and some skillz Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
3 Door
[Image: SAM_0331-1.jpg]
to this
[Image: SAM_0543.jpg]
to this
[Image: SAM_0546.jpg]
Finished
[Image: SAM_0549.jpg]

And 5 door
[Image: DSCF0072.jpg]
[Image: 19117464.jpg]

Both my cars and both suffer from it
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil smells of veg fumes, time to change? 306Puggy 25 5,762 14-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Jonny b
  diesel fumes !!!! dec-66 9 2,310 28-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Last Post: dec-66