gti 6 new head

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gti 6 new head
I went out and got myself a gti 6 in November, engine had a slight tap and was told it had a lazy tappet and just needed a good run. after reading up on it a bit i now realize it probably has bent valves, my own fault i should have found this forum before i bought it.
could anybody recommend where to get a recon head.
many thanks in advance for any replies.
P.S I am in Hindhead surrey.
Thanks given by:
Does the tapping noise get louder with revs? There is a few things that can make these tap but a bent valve is very distinctive.
I'm im Epsom and have two gti heads here you can have for free. One was from a snapper though and one was from a hydro locked engine so both need returning. Welcome to take them and have the best one refurbed.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 09:22 PM)Niall Wrote: Does the tapping noise get louder with revs? There is a few things that can make these tap but a bent valve is very distinctive.
I'm im Epsom and have two gti heads here you can have for free. One was from a snapper though and one was from a hydro locked engine so both need returning. Welcome to take them and have the best one refurbed.

thanks for the quick reply, i would say the tap gets faster with the engine revs but not louder it seems to be coming from the drivers side of the head if that makes sense.
can you recommend anywhere to get the head refurbed.
many thanks.
Thanks given by:
I can't think of anywhere here. I've always done that sort of work my self.
If it doesn't get louder, it could be a injector. The injectors on these are particularly loud but you will find that as the revs pick up, the engine noise will drown out the tap. If it doesn't, it's a valve.
If it is coming from the top end, try a thinner oil in there and run it for a bit.
Can use Sutton Rebore (but they are expensive) or there is a company called board brothers in clapham who are a bunch of old fashion guys but do top work. I use them for my pistons as they do me good prices.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 09:34 PM)Niall Wrote: I can't think of anywhere here. I've always done that sort of work my self.
If it doesn't get louder, it could be a injector. The injectors on these are particularly loud but you will find that as the revs pick up, the engine noise will drown out the tap. If it doesn't, it's a valve.
If it is coming from the top end, try a thinner oil in there and run it for a bit.
Can use Sutton Rebore (but they are expensive) or there is a company called board brothers in clapham who are a bunch of old fashion guys but do top work. I use them for my pistons as they do me good prices.

ok thanks, maybe i need to get someone to listen to it before i do anything.
Thanks given by:
Take a good video of it and we will soon be able to tell you Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'll be in touch Niall. I need a head now.
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 10:01 PM)SRowell Wrote: I'll be in touch Niall. I need head now.

Dude speak to your girlfriend, not me!

Sorry, I'll get my coat lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Christ, Sutton Rebore. Good bunch there as the owner dad used to knock around with my Dad in the day (over 60 years ago) in the racing days of the new fanged Fibre Glass

Head wise I have a good place by me which I use for all of mine, Cost varies of course
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 11:54 PM)miles Wrote: Christ, Sutton Rebore. Good bunch there as the owner dad used to knock around with my Dad in the day (over 60 years ago) in the racing days of the new fanged Fibre Glass

Head wise I have a good place by me which I use for all of mine, Cost varies of course

if you're offer still stands for the heads i could drive up and get them, maybe you could call or text me on 07876795920.
many thanks again.
Thanks given by:
think it will need serious work now as the cambelt snapped this morning, it was done less than 20k ago.
can anyone recommend someone in the hindhead surrey area to look at it.
many thanks.
Thanks given by:
Niall. Hahhaha

In seriousness, don't even bother. Whip the engine out and replace, by the time you have found a replacement head, got all the seals and gaskets, service parts, it'll be almost the same price as a second hand engine, if not more lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2014, 01:52 PM)Matt Wrote: Niall. Hahhaha

In seriousness, don't even bother. Whip the engine out and replace, by the time you have found a replacement head, got all the seals and gaskets, service parts, it'll be almost the same price as a second hand engine, if not more lol

the trouble is how do you know if the replacement engine is ok?
Thanks given by:
I have to agree with Matt unfortunately. Its all well and good just fitting a replacement head but normally when there is some sort of valve to piston contact, you will find its done damage to the big end bearings and even though you might get the new head on and running, its only a matter of time before the bottom end decides it doesn't like its bearings.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
anyone got a good engine for sale ?
Thanks given by:
Try and build up 25 posts then put a thread up in the wanted section. You will more than likely get a response there better than here.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Engine wise I'd hunt down a late Xsara VTS, I tend to say to anyone that unless you can hear the engine running then assume it's scrap as allot have had belts go in the past so it can be pot luck if you did repair your head.
By all means give me a call
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by: