1.8 whining in 3rd and 4th

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 whining in 3rd and 4th
Just bought my second 306, Not sure where the whining is coming from, Car needs a good service so maybe that? also on the MOT certificate its an advisory that the gearbox has a leak, but when I look from underneath it looks like there's an oil leak in the sump and not the gear box, (possibly a common fault for the sump considering my old 306 had the same problem), any idea what the whining could be?
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
Does this whine occur under load at all? And does it change pitch with the revs?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Welcome along by the way, I see that was your first post here. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Change the gear box oil for genuine peugeot stuff. Will make a noticeable difference to the shift and may get rid of that whine. The boxes on these are very sensitive to different oils!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2014, 09:03 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Does this whine occur under load at all? And does it change pitch with the revs?
Yes it changes pitch with the revs, cant tell that much but you can tell its a whine that shouldn't be there

(13-01-2014, 09:05 PM)Niall Wrote: Change the gear box oil for genuine peugeot stuff. Will make a noticeable difference to the shift and may get rid of that whine. The boxes on these are very sensitive to different oils!
ah right ok! i'll try that and see if that gets rid of it

(13-01-2014, 09:04 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Welcome along by the way, I see that was your first post here. Wink
Thanks man! I should've created an account when I had my old 306, unfortunately that saw the wrong side of a hedge Undecided
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whining noise? laurence_13 7 2,214 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Last Post: laurence_13