No wipers or wash

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No wipers or wash
I've had a search for wiper problem threads but no-one seems to have had the same problem as me.

My wipers don't work at all, and neither do the washers. I cannot hear the motor or the pump trying to do anything.

I've not had a chance to check fuses yet, however I wouldn't have thought it will be a fuse, because the wipers started playing up shortly before failing altogether.

Am I correct in thinking that because both the washers and the wipers have failed at the same time it is likely that the wiper motor and washer pump are both fine, and that the problem is in something which connects the two?

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated as I have to drive to Wales and back at the weekend, and I only have a couple of hours free tomorrow to fix!

If it turns out to be a mystery, is there a relatively simple way of temporarily wiring the wipers, assuming my wiper motor is OK?
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would imagine one of the relays have given up but i can't remember which one controls the wipers. Checked the stalk connection hasn't come loose?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2014, 06:55 PM)Niall Wrote: I would imagine one of the relays have given up but i can't remember which one controls the wipers. Checked the stalk connection hasn't come loose?

I'll try and find out which relays are involved and have a look at them. I assume relays can be tested? I'm working tonight so could ask the instruments guy to test them if he's not busy.

I haven't checked the stalk because before the wipers failed they were parking halfway, so I didn't think the stalk could cause that?
Thanks given by:
Parking half way is more than likely bad tracks in the motor or a bad timer relay.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Well as the washer pump isn't working I would have thought the wiper motor was OK? Could the timer relay have anything to do with the washers? I'm guessing not?
Thanks given by:
Yeah it does. The timer relay is what tells the wipers to wipe 3 times when you use the washers.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ok cheers that certainly sounds like its worth checking. Dont suppose you know which relay it is?
Thanks given by:
No i can't remember Sad lol. Grey one is indicators, orange is rear screen, green are heaters and windows so could be purple?!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ok well I'll just see if I can test whatever relays I can get to. I'm looking in the Haynes manual but relays don't seem to be documented as well as all the fuses Sad
Thanks given by:
Relays are as follows IIRC

Top row:

1 - Elec window relay-front/sunroof motor relay

2 - Heater blower relay

3 - Indicator relay

4 - Heated rear window

Bottom row:

1 - Rain sensor 1

2 - Rain sensor 2

3 - Rear windows

4 - Front fogs
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers for that James, I have a feeling it could be different for mine though as it doesn't have the auto rain sensors, but I'll have a look and see what I can find.
Thanks given by:
No probs spreading the knowledge mate Smile
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above sounds like a relay or maybe the stalk wires loose
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I checked the fuses today and number 24 (30 amp) was blown.

I took the motor off and used a contact cleaner to clean it up as well as I could. There was a darkened bit of wire but it was still intact and attached at both ends so I don't think that's a problem.

I opened up the gearbox and found that one of the three electrical springs had snapped, although I couldn't find the bit that had broken off. These are the springs that push down on the main gear wheel. As there are three of them I would guess they are something to do with the three speeds but I don't know?

I replaced the dried out grease with fresh hoping this would free it up and solve the problem.

I put a new fuse in, turned the ignition, did a single manual wipe (which parked correctly), then I tried to put the wipers on speed number 1 and the fuse went before the wipers even moved.

I thought I would try a new fuse and try the wash wipe function, but as soon as I turned the ignition on the new fuse blew, and then exactly the same happened with my 3rd fuse. So I seem to have made the problem worse!..
Thanks given by:
From what you have said above I would say it's the wiper motor causing you probs a short to earth inside the motor as it worked once then failed see of you can get a second hand one and try it
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Cheers for the reply. So you would think it were the motor rather than switch/relay/timer?

If its the motor at fault I'll have to buy a second hand one off eBay.

I may test to see if its the motor at fault by putting a positive and negative straight from battery to motor with a fuse in one of the lines. Then if it blows that fuse it must be the motor, if it doesn't then the motors OK and I can temp wire it for the weekend.
Thanks given by:
I did the above test last night and found the motor to be OK, so I have temperarily wired the motor to a switch on the dash with a 20amp fuse. Glad I can use the car at the weekend now although it is annoying only having the fast/continuous setting!

I will investigate relay, timer and switch in the next couple of weeks to find the problem.

The thing thats puzzling me now is why the washers don't work, because after looking in the haynes manual fuse 24 only covers wiper motor, switch, relay and timer. So I don't see why the washers stopped as well?
Thanks given by: