Bosch Adjustment Problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosch Adjustment Problems
I'm probably going to look like such a noob here...

I fitted my Bosch pump nearly a year ago, but I'm not sure if I've ever had it 100% properly set up. At the moment it idles at about 900rpm whether cold or hot. I've tried adjusting both the idle screws to no effect. I may need to check the tension on the thermostat cable.

The other problem is that to get a decent throttle response, I've got the cable so tensioned it's probably about a quarter of the way round from the stop. I.e. it's not resting on the anti-stall stop. If I let it rest on the anti-stall stop, the throttle response is utter shit (put the pedal down a good inch or so before anything even happens) and the idle speed is no different either.

I'd just like to get a decent response across the full throttle travel and get the idle speed up a bit when it's cold.

It's running 22psi on a standard bosch pump (no gov mod or anything, just a rotated LDA with the screw right out).
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Try letting the throttle hit the stop (cable off if needed) then wind up the max fuel then readjust cable

EDIT soz for the shit answer I'm on me phone!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
londondan86 Wrote:Try letting the throttle hit the stop (cable off if needed) then wind up the max fuel then readjust cable

EDIT soz for the shit answer I'm on me phone!

It was a good answer!

I did this and it feels much nicer and more linear now. I can trundle about town on low throttle with almost zero boost, then mash the pedal all the way down to make it just f*ck off. Big Grin

It hit 26psi after I did this, so I turned the wastegate down half a turn, still hitting 23-24psi, lol. Meh... only hits it for half a second before I change up anyway.

It just generally feels a bit... meatier, if you know what I mean. Hard to describe it.
Thanks given by:
Excellent!!! At least you made sense of what I said. I meant to come bacK on and edit it but I forgot.

Glad you got it sorted now anyway and welcome to bosch POWEEEEERRRR!

Gov mod next then........!

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
londondan86 Wrote:Excellent!!! At least you made sense of what I said. I meant to come bacK on and edit it but I forgot.

Nah, first I need to turn the wastegate down a wee bit more. It's still hitting 25psi, on a TMIC!
If I drive it hard for a couple of minutes the heatsoak is reaaaally bad... Ideally I want it down to 20psi.
Thanks given by:
Can anyone explain how to adjust the throttle cable in a bit more detail? Mine feels really spongey for the first 1/4. Gets better as I turn max fuel up but obviously that isn't the solution..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
me-tm Wrote:
londondan86 Wrote:Excellent!!! At least you made sense of what I said. I meant to come bacK on and edit it but I forgot.

Nah, first I need to turn the wastegate down a wee bit more. It's still hitting 25psi, on a TMIC!
If I drive it hard for a couple of minutes the heatsoak is reaaaally bad... Ideally I want it down to 20psi.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
me-tm Wrote:Nah, first I need to turn the wastegate down a wee bit more. It's still hitting 25psi, on a TMIC!

32PSI on a TMIC is fine tbh...

If it's smoking on boost, that's FAR more damaging than high boost levels on a TMIC...

The whole No Smoke, No Poke thing is utter bullshit tbh and has been taken far out of it's original meaning, off boost a pile of coal is fine as long as it cleans up once the turbo blows, but if it's smoking on boost, you're seriously damaging things, overheating components, shagging injectors, washing bores...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If you've got 'dead space' on the pedel travel surely you'd want to pop thhe throtal arm off and rotate it round a bit?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:32PSI on a TMIC is fine tbh...

If it's smoking on boost, that's FAR more damaging than high boost levels on a TMIC...

The whole No Smoke, No Poke thing is utter bullshit tbh and has been taken far out of it's original meaning, off boost a pile of coal is fine as long as it cleans up once the turbo blows, but if it's smoking on boost, you're seriously damaging things, overheating components, shagging injectors, washing bores...

Aren't you supposed to have a light haze on full boost for optimal power Ruan?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
if there is smoke on full boost then that's fuel wasted imo, if there's a light haze you know you're putting enough fuel in i guess, that would be the point i'd back it off a touch . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ruan is meaning that if you have a lot of smoke when on boost I would say as EGT's will be silly high and will ruin many things over time (not much time in the case of some things) so yeah, but really any smoke on boost, as Matt says above, is just wasted fuel going out of the exhaust Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Just FYI, if you watch that video of my car... That's about 800-850*C EGT on a hard pull and it barely smokes at all, just an incredibly light whisp...

Just so you can get an idea of what it's like if it's belching it out on boost... You're talking 1000*C+...

Aluminium melts at 650-700*C remember...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I don't know what it does on full-boost as I'm too much of a wuss to hold it there for long enough to look in the mirror, lol.

I did take it for a thrash and the engine temp gauge hit 90 rather quickly, but came back down again as soon as I eased back off.
Sod it, I'll leave it the way it is then.

Can the KKK K14 cope with 24-25psi? Seeing as I hardly ever hit it anyway, lol.
Thanks given by:
me-tm Wrote:I don't know what it does on full-boost as I'm too much of a wuss to hold it there for long enough to look in the mirror, lol.

I did take it for a thrash and the engine temp gauge hit 90 rather quickly, but came back down again as soon as I eased back off.
Sod it, I'll leave it the way it is then.

Can the KKK K14 cope with 24-25psi? Seeing as I hardly ever hit it anyway, lol.
well mine does lol......so my answer is yeah, think it'd take a bit more tbh Hmmmm lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Well, it's running a solid 22psi now, after quarter of a turn off the wastegate, so I'm happy with that. Still no smoke on full-boost.
Thanks given by:
hi, can anyone help ive been playing with the max fuel screw, i actualy took it right out , put it back in and now it wont start on the key . i can bump start it but wont stay running. can anyone tell me how i can fix it. cheers
Thanks given by:
coughalot Wrote:hi, can anyone help ive been playing with the max fuel screw, i actualy took it right out , put it back in and now it wont start on the key . i can bump start it but wont stay running. can anyone tell me how i can fix it. cheers

If you start your own thread you'll probably get more replies as people will be looking based on the title Smile
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
coughalot Wrote:hi, can anyone help ive been playing with the max fuel screw, i actualy took it right out , put it back in and now it wont start on the key . i can bump start it but wont stay running. can anyone tell me how i can fix it. cheers

Sounds like you just need to screw it back in further, will it start and stay running with your foot on the throttle slightly?
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
yeah it will stay running if i do that. ive screwed it back in to where it was origanaly, i dont know if that would help. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=31&t=144</a><!-- l --> .been looking at this diagram could number 11 have moved slightly ?????. thanks for your reply
Thanks given by:
screw it in further and it should be fine, what are you trying to do with the pump to have removed it?? Have a good read through that guide you have linked to mate as that should help you a lot!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
i took it out to cut a metal sleeve off so i could screw it in. i tried screwing it in a bit more didnt work so i went to bleed the the fuel lines but theres no fuel going through the pump, any ideas ?
Thanks given by:
coughalot Wrote:i took it out to cut a metal sleeve off so i could screw it in. i tried screwing it in a bit more didnt work so i went to bleed the the fuel lines but theres no fuel going through the pump, any ideas ?

Sorry, missed this! You don't normally need to remove the screw to get the anti tamper collar off but fair enough, one thing that is confusing me though is that if you can get the car to run holding the throttle part on then if there is no fuel getting through the pump what is it running on?

Also if you can make it run by holding the throttle down a bit then it points to there not being enough fuel going in lower down! winding the max fuel screw in further should have the same effect as holding down the throttle a bit,

Have you tried screwing the anti stall screw in a bit futher to push the throttle arm round a bit further? also have you had the throttle arm off at all?
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  more bosch problems blinkyeatu 9 1,426 24-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu
  Bosch pump conversion problems Farmer-Glen 16 3,536 16-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Farmer-Glen
  Bosch conversion problems mikes 16 2,472 13-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Last Post: mikes