Am I being silly? (glowplugs)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I being silly? (glowplugs)
I was checking my glow plug relay earlier when I thought I'd check the voltage at my glow plugs.

With ignition on, 12.3v appears and slowly drops to 11.9v over about 18 seconds, then the relay switches off as expected and the voltage drops to 0v.

When I start the car though, and it's running, I get 12v at my glow plugs? regardless of engine rpm or temperature. What am I missing here or is this normal, does anyone know why?
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs can stay on for a few mins after starting the engine
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2014, 05:22 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Glow plugs can stay on for a few mins after starting the engine

On a hot engine though?

I'll go for a drive and check them before I switch off. Smile
Thanks given by:
yup, can do

mine does

not sure that it should, I wouldn't have thought so, but perhaps the temp signal isn't getting to the glowplug relay, it should take that amongst other things into account to decide how long to leave them on I think.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that was it, on for 2 minutes after starting Smile
Thanks given by:
dont the later relays drop to 6volts after like 30seconds and then stay on for a minute or two?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2014, 09:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: dont the later relays drop to 6volts after like 30seconds and then stay on for a minute or two?!

Mine gives the full 12V for a few minutes. It looks the same system as my old 1.9 XUD in the 405, that's why I posted in this section Tongue

Never mentioned my TUD Rofl

That could be the case though Smile
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2014, 05:08 PM)Martin306 Wrote: I was checking my glow plug relay earlier when I thought I'd check the voltage at my glow plugs.

With ignition on, 12.3v appears and slowly drops to 11.9v over about 18 seconds, then the relay switches off as expected and the voltage drops to 0v.

When I start the car though, and it's running, I get 12v at my glow plugs? regardless of engine rpm or temperature. What am I missing here or is this normal, does anyone know why?

That's just battery discharge... Once the engine is on you've got the Alternator to help bring the voltage back up.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Once running the cycle on / off until the second temp sensor in stat housing (connected to glwplg relay) comes up to temp.

Voltage just dropping as your pulling from the battery, stops once alternator is up.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I knew about the voltage thing Wink i had no idea the plugs cycled with the engine running. I take it the idle quality is affected?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silly question about VO(language), and also about the environment Iaitoo 3 935 29-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Glowplugs bigcheez2k3 10 2,348 03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Last Post: sledge
  glowplugs dec-66 3 1,111 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Last Post: CJ_Derv