The Astor Platinum Onyx

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Astor Platinum Onyx
There just isnt enough reinforcement in the centre sections. My magnex has been welded a few times and even those welds have cracked again. ill be getting some bracing put on mine just as sam has done.
Thanks given by:
Can't wait for the weekend. Just found the pic of cleaning it outside mine before pugfest killing time waiting for the racist [Image: 3cf10cb6ff61fdcac8c712904c52371c.jpg]

Looking good on the team dynamics. Shame about the tyres... wanlis and auto grips for the win
Thanks given by:
Bit of delay in updates but here goes

Last track day was combe forge action day which was a great day,way better stand location.car when well on track despite shocking tyres bit still managed to get some good passes and hold off St 220 and had a few good battles with a few newer hot hatchs.wasn't really "living for the 306" before the event,but after really loving it again Smile and plan to make it even more of a beast for next year

So set about changing back to cyclones wheel
.For 2 main reasons the availability and price of track tyres and i want to go for a "sleeper" oe+ look.

[attachment=19642]

Quite surprised how good there look

As selling my 6 pots I thought may aswell get some 4 pots (bloody bargin price aswell Smile )

[attachment=19641]

They'll come Tuesday so give them a test fit a see if I need spacers.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Those the ones if the 106 on bookface? Was tempted myself
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 09:44 PM)td_dan Wrote: Those the ones if the 106 on bookface? Was tempted myself

Yep they run a 280mm setup which is slightly smaller than the 283 standard but we'll see how they work.
Thanks given by:
Where did those calipers originally live then?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 06:44 AM)Piggy Wrote: Where did those calipers originally live then?

106 gti rally car I think
Thanks given by:
So they were made custom, no off a renault or merc or porsche etc?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 11:02 AM)Piggy Wrote: So they were made custom, no off a renault or merc or porsche etc?

Haven't got a clue did abit of research couldn't find any direct website but lods of postives from forums and things so be interesting.
Thanks given by:
Will be interesting to see how that brake setup works! Shame youve got rif of the 16s but it does make sense to get the cheapest tyres! Check your spelling... previous post was painful to read!
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 07:41 PM)SRowell Wrote: Will be interesting to see how that brake setup works! Shame youve got rif of the 16s but it does make sense to get the cheapest tyres! Check your spelling... previous post was painful to read!

Dodgy what's a "rif"

Yeah I'll try and test fit them Sunday.
Thanks given by:
I be curious about the fitment too...I really don't want 15s and am really in need of a bit more stopping power I think!

Mind me asking how much they were!? Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah I saw those brakes, bargain price!

Good work Sam Smile
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2014, 01:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: I be curious about the fitment too...I really don't want 15s and am really in need of a bit more stopping power I think!

Mind me asking how much they were!? Undecided

They were £165 delivered

Next on the list is some track rubber Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Not bad at all!!!

Have you checked out Federal 595RSRs? Think Im guna go for a set
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2014, 06:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: Not bad at all!!!

Have you checked out Federal 595RSRs? Think Im guna go for a set

I've read reviews and seems to be half decent in the wet as the r1r are great but too soft so heat gets into them too quickly so in the dry on track they would overheat within a few laps.

The ado8r have terrible reviews for wet weather so not really interest me as I did more wet trackdays last year that dry.

So boils down to nankang ns2r or the federal 595RSRs,I've seen some ns2r second hand but one looks slightly blue (which could indicate overheating )and dunno if I want to take the risk.
Thanks given by:
Ive read loads of reviews recently...

Those 595s seem to hold up though, some reports of guys doing 3000mile round trip to Nurburg' and doing laps upon laps round on them no problem.

Considering the price, for me, cant grumble!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 10:27 AM)Piggy Wrote: Ive read loads of reviews recently...

Those 595s seem to hold up though, some reports of guys doing 3000mile round trip to Nurburg' and doing laps upon laps round on them no problem.

Considering the price, for me, cant grumble!

Yeah,I've heard similar I found a set for £268 which for what they are is very good.
Thanks given by:
What size??
They can be had for less than that in 15"
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I paid about £240 for my set in 15 but they were a bastard to get hold of

Mine have been on the 6 since June and have done a fair few thousand miles on road along with a couple hours at combe and the fronts have a bit of wear on but the rears are almost brand new
Thanks given by:
So got the bremsport today,quite concerned about the box they came in as one end was completely open but luckily I don't think there anything missing.
I didn't have the right socket (18mm I think) to take the caliper off so just got wood off cuts to mock up a base to lay the calipers over the cyclone.

So they look like they should clear obviously the 280mm disc brings the caliper closer to the centre of the wheel which is a littLe bit scary also I noticed I could probably sand the ends of the pads to get even my clearance.I'm hoping to get down to my mates garage 1 Friday and check for definite if they clear.Also Found the product code on the pads so ill order a new set.
[attachment=19738]
[attachment=19737]
[attachment=19736]
[attachment=19735]

Quick question :on the standard disc's They are 2 screws.On the 280mm dics the isn't any holes ?
Thanks given by:
The wheels keep the disc in place :-)
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
Yeah don't worry about them set screws. They are only there to hold the disc in place when fitting a wheel and don't provide any support under breaking at all.

Theres bloody loads of clearance under them brakes. Want to see rizzla paper clearance? Look at mine in my project thread :p
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Sweeet Big Grin

Found the disc's for £61 and 1144's and ds2500 are half the price of the 6 calipers

Looks like I could be on to a WIN with this setup Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Ok tiny bit of a update

Took the plunge and brought some new tyres(well second hand but new to me)

They are 195 50 15 nankang ns2r medium compound.read some really positive things about these and for the price I thought it worth a punt.

[attachment=20240]

And also got on the end of a group buy for these on gti6.com Big Grin

[attachment=20241]

They are speedline 2118 which are being custom as of the shelf they are 6x15 and et 37.

These will be 15x7 and direct fit only taper bolts required to fit.

Also having these can go up too 288 mm disc so just need some brackets from hi spec or comp brake.

Now the long 6 weeks to wait for them Sad
Thanks given by:
So plans have slightly changed for the astor more track focused and less comfortable,normal,sensible lol  
I think the track bug has hit again Smile 

So the recaros are off to they new home and I've purchased 2 sparco rev fibreglass seats,need to give them a little tidy up but for the price I'm pretty happy also they surprisingly wide so my girlfriend won't be moaning too much lol 

[attachment=20547]

Also got some 6 point luke harnesses and side mounts.

Then decided I'd give myself a early Christmas present and whacked this on the argos card Big Grin 

[Image: 20141206_111236.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm jealous, theres some serious spending there.
Thanks given by:
wow..
Thanks given by:
Niiiiiice Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah definitely looking forward to getting it all pieced together,wheels are about 4 weeks away and super excited about them.Half tempted to tax it at the end of January(weather dependent)

Just wondering whether to either (maybe) get a cage or half cage with harness bars in.I've had a talk with Rippthrough on here so things look promising Smile

I'm hoping to pull off a stylish yet practical track/fast road car so don't worry guys this isn't going to be stripped within a inch of its life Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Onyx Rallye. 182.1bhp & 154.5ft/lb Wilwoods & axle arrived! Welding finished! Matt-Rallye 420 116,122 11-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Platinum Silver S1 306 HDI MY95 16 6,016 17-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Last Post: MY95
Smile Ben's 3dr Onyx HDi StarBenn 144 60,121 29-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Last Post: StarBenn