The Astor Platinum Onyx

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Astor Platinum Onyx
Sam what are you doing. You're out spending me!

I didnt realise you had gone in for the group buy on those wheels! Should be great! Brakes look great. Should be awesome!
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2014, 11:09 PM)SRowell Wrote: Sam what are you doing. You're out spending me!

I didnt realise you had gone in for the group buy on those wheels! Should be great! Brakes look great. Should be awesome!

Yeah well it just sit's in the corner now so I thought I'd fill it with shinies Big Grin 

I'm thinking of getting a few bits flocked,re carpeting front and rear.then relocating the battery to the boot(bit of extra weight of the beam) and then re run the induction kit.

Keep forgetting I also have to get the other cam. 
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Got some mounts the other,don't worry rowell I'll still have yours off you (planning to get a hdi at some point in the new year) 

Only did one as it was so bloody cold and was still hanging from the night before lol 

Got to drill the mounts tomorrow if I get the time.

[attachment=20703]
Thanks given by:
Nice progress , can't wait to see this in the new year. Might have to blag a passenger ride Wink
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 08:25 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Nice progress , can't wait to see this in the new year. Might have to blag a passenger ride Wink

Yeah definitely, I do owe you one.Really itching to get it back on the road but saved a nice lump already which shall be converted into shinies Big Grin 
Thanks given by:
Update

Tiny bit of a U turn on this project.

After trying out the buckets and realising i've got slightly fatter than last time I had some lol,i've decided to sell them on a started to persuade some mint ish Ph3 seats near me.

4 pot are also sold Sad so I'll be getting some mintex 1155 or ferodo ds25000.

Speedline line updated us yesterday and it's looking more like February than January which is actually pretty good as I'll probably just re tax and mot it then(weather permitting)
Thanks given by:
Loose a bit of weight and keep the buckets, the most racecar option

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
youll be back in buckets before you know it...
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2015, 12:51 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Loose a bit of weight and keep the buckets, the most racecar option

I wish my old,tired body could handle it lol 

Brought some pretty mind Ph3 seat last night on ebay so pick them up Friday and hopefully get back on the road/track February.

All these cheap trackdays atm need to take advantage of at least one.

(05-01-2015, 01:42 PM)SRowell Wrote: youll be back in buckets before you know it...

I know that why I'll still have the mounts Smile 

I do have a soft spot for some cobra suzuki..
Thanks given by:
I may use my mounts. Depends when I can get my hands on a 3 door!
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2015, 02:31 PM)SRowell Wrote: I may use my mounts. Depends when I can get my hands on a 3 door!

Cool mate.

Give us a txt if you need a lift to pick it up.
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2015, 04:03 PM)7057sam Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 02:31 PM)SRowell Wrote: I may use my mounts. Depends when I can get my hands on a 3 door!

Cool mate.

Give us a txt if you need a lift to pick it up.

Dont know if I am yet though! D: On the lookout for something still! Need to get a reliable daily first though!
Thanks given by:
Took a trip to Norfolk this evening to pick the new interior pretty chuffed.The alcantara is in really good condition,didn't realise how faded mine where.

Also they's no bolters wear on the passenger side one and very very minamal on the driver.

Hopefully Friday pull it all out and attack the inside with the vacuum.

Also sold the sparco's for a little bit of a profit which
was nice through money going to be sucked up by the house unfortunately lol
Thanks given by:
Looking good! I might have missed it in the thread, but what cams are you running?
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 11:11 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: Looking good! I might have missed it in the thread, but what cams are you running?

Catcams 3107 pretty shure there give the most lift before I need internal modification.[attachment=20993] 

I have a catcams dealer about 10 miles away which quite close in suffolk terms lol so should really pull my finger out and get the inlet one ordered.
Thanks given by:
I'd be careful tracking the car on ds2500s on standard brakes. Unless it's had some decent weight loss and has ducting they do go off fairly quickly - mine does it in 7 laps of combe and it's 1000kg but no ducts and C5 wheels
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Are you just going to get the pistons pocketed?
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 11:36 PM)adam b Wrote: I'd be careful tracking the car on ds2500s on standard brakes. Unless it's had some decent weight loss and has ducting they do go off fairly quickly - mine does it in 7 laps of combe and it's 1000kg but no ducts and C5 wheels

Really !! 

Always lead to believe they where the best 

My other options are mintex M1155, M1144 although the ones on it at the moment have taken a hamering last year and where great so may investigate into what they where.

(06-01-2015, 11:37 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: Are you just going to get the pistons pocketed?

I was because someone on gti.com was doing it for £100 but I forgot my login and emailed then admin many times and can't seem to get back online anymore.  

I was also going to get some arp bolt but told I didn't need them as I 'think' the limiter  was set a 7.5 and only needed them if it went  over 8k
Thanks given by:
The company is bridgecraft engineering, good guys. I'm going to get some ARP bolts for my new build but it's aiming for reasonable power!
Thanks given by:
Cool

I should be running somwhere near or alittle over the 200 bhp mark with the cams in,which for this year would be more than enough.Would really like a diff aswell ( last thing in list)

And hopefully do snetterton a few times as it's my local and tended to spend more time and combe last year.
Thanks given by:
Do the diff before the cams, 100%. It made a huge difference in the race car, easily 2 seconds a lap. I'm probably doing a Snet trackday in Feb / March time if you're interested?
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers.What diff did you go for? Gripper or lock ? I've heard some you have to use special oil and others you can use normal peugeot stuff.

Yeah I'll check trackdays.Co. uk and see if the dates have gone up yet.
Thanks given by:
As Dan says, its Bridgecraft Engineering. He's on here under the username AllenAllan. Allan made my charger outlet. Top bloke to work with and the work was top quality and well priced. Recommend them any day!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Strangely EBC yellows have a good rep, although I can't bring myself to buy them. Pagid RS29 are the way to go but not cheap. We use them on all our track, fast road GTRs.

1144 are also decent as an all-around, but my last set fell apart after 200 miles of light road use. Apparently it was a known batch issue but lost my confidence in them.

I'm going RS29 when I start properly competing
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've heard the ds's are bigger than the other pads so has larger surface area/goes to the lip of the disc.
Which could be a plus point.Very mixed reviews on them,alot of people saying that they take awhile to bed in and for fronts and back are £200 ish

The yellow stuff would be 100-110 front and back and are getting fairly good reviews,think I might give them a shot.
Thanks given by:
Avoid greenstuff for track days Wink personal experience says they dont last

Thanks given by:
I love my ATB diff by Quaife to be honest, on the road its amazing.... But.... I wish I'd bought a locker Sad
JP
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2015, 07:50 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Avoid greenstuff for track days Wink personal experience says they dont last

Yeah got the pictures to prove that lol 

(08-01-2015, 11:11 AM)jammapic Wrote: I love my ATB diff by Quaife to be honest, on the road its amazing.... But.... I wish I'd bought a locker Sad

When does it engage? Had a accord type r and the diff only used to work on full throttle.
Thanks given by:
It works from 1% throttle basically, as soon as you touch it. Because it doesn't "engage" as such.

It transmits torque from a spinning wheel, to a wheel with grip, so you always get power going to the outside wheel when cornernering, helping you turn in.

Sounds great right.

Problem is, in a straight line, it can only multiply the torque from a spinning wheel, I.e of you get a wheel on the grass / kerb where there is very little grip, it multiplies by (for arguments sake) 0. 0 x anything is always zero.

A diff which can fully "lockup" gives you effectively a solid (or getting towards anyway) axle. This means, no matter what grip the spinning wheel has, or hasn't got, the other one will always have torque on it.

Its horses for courses really. Dont get me wrong, I love my ATB, the way it just finds grip mid corner and actually tugs you into the bends is amazing.... I just can't help thinking if I had gone for a locking diff, it would have been even better on track.

That said, many many laps of the nurburgring, no wheel spin, and no rebuilds ever required Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
Echoing what JP says, the ATB (Quaife) isn't a locking diff... It's a helical, so as said, if one wheel is airborne or has next to zero grip, then there's no torque to be sent to the other side, it'll still spin. It's a torque BIASING diff, not a locking diff.

Locking or plate type diffs (Kaaz, Gripper, Tran-X etc.) are far more hardcore, they are quite heavy handed in their operation and require a somewhat "balls to the wall" approach to get the best from them, of course, these diffs can lock and send power away from a completely airbone wheel to the one with grip... Sometimes that's absolutely what you want, but can be a little aggressive for an every day road car that is sometimes taken on track.

I'd definitely say that as a simple "upgrade" item, a helical diff is by far your best option, the other thing with plate type diffs is that it often requires a special type of oil, they can be noisy and clunky and a little bit harder to get the best from. Other hand a helical diff is a fit and forget item, no special requirements, smooth operation, if a little slower to respond than a plate type... Either that you fit will most certainly show up any issues with suspension components however, so make sure you've got good, solid bushes all round.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts Onyx Rallye. 182.1bhp & 154.5ft/lb Wilwoods & axle arrived! Welding finished! Matt-Rallye 420 116,132 11-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Platinum Silver S1 306 HDI MY95 16 6,017 17-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Last Post: MY95
Smile Ben's 3dr Onyx HDi StarBenn 144 60,123 29-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Last Post: StarBenn