XUD Starting Problem (Peugeot 306 1.9 DT)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD Starting Problem (Peugeot 306 1.9 DT)
Been having problem's the last couple of weeks when starting the car for the first time of the day the glow plug light wouldn't come on and the engine wouldn't turn over it would just click every time you turn the key but after a while of turning the ignition off and on and trying to start it the glow plug light would come on and the car would fire straight up anyway after reading a few comment's and what not i decided to change the glow plug relay yesterday. This morning i went out the car started up with no issue's and was fine through the day however after i had parked up at home and left the car for maybe 3 hour's tops i went out but the same thing has happened again where the glow plug light won't come on and the engine won't turn over all you can hear is clicking from the engine bay. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks all.
Thanks given by:
Change Glow plugs and coil!
Thanks given by:
It had new glow plugs about 6 month's ago.
Thanks given by:
Cheap ones? or originals?
Thanks given by:
Im guessing loose battery terminal
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 08:05 PM)shazilla Wrote: Cheap ones? or originals?

No bosch duraterms i was told that they are the one's to use.

(03-01-2014, 08:09 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Im guessing loose battery terminal

I have checked the terminals all seems secure as far as the battery is concerned.

Is there any possibility that it could be the stop solenoid?.
Thanks given by:
Rust on a earth terminal!
Thanks given by:
Silly question, but what sort of state is the battery itself in? Mine is on its last legs, and ive got a sticky starter as well, giving me similar symptoms to what you've described. Try taking the battery off and giving it an overnight charge, see if it makes any difference. Smile Can't hurt anyway.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above if it won't even turn over would say battery or starter or something loose wire maybe have a look at the gear box earth
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 08:48 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Silly question, but what sort of state is the battery itself in? Mine is on its last legs, and ive got a sticky starter as well, giving me similar symptoms to what you've described. Try taking the battery off and giving it an overnight charge, see if it makes any difference. Smile Can't hurt anyway.

i did look at the battery the other day and it looks like it was fitted in 2009 so it's close to the end of it's life now,will have to give it a charge see what happen's. was looking at buying a new battery in the next few weeks after saving up was looking at an Exide 4 year guarantee and 64AH + 640CA is that or the battery any good ?

(03-01-2014, 08:54 PM)mikey b Wrote: As above if it won't even turn over would say battery or starter or something loose wire maybe have a look at the gear box earth

I had a new clutch fitted about 3 month's ago not long after that i had the first issue with my glow plug light not coming on. will get someone to check the gearbox earth cable.
Thanks given by:
Yeah man, that battery sounds ideal! Sounds like the sort of battery I need really. Wanna buy me one as well? Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2014, 10:15 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Yeah man, that battery sounds ideal! Sounds like the sort of battery I need really. Wanna buy me one as well? Big Grin

lol the battery is on www.carparts4less.co.uk they get all there part's from euro car parts. Once you have found the battery you want put in one of these discount codes there's only three discount codes, spend over £50 you can use cp5less over £75 cp10less and over £100 cp15less. The battery i'm getting is £63.99 using the cp5less discount code i can get it for £58.99 it's only £5 but these days a fiver is a fiver. hope that's of some use to you.
Thanks given by:
My thought process having read the thread finished with

Clutch change... they took the earth off the gearbox and chassis leg.... check they aren't loose/corroded/dirty... ideally take em off clean it all and put them back.

Can't help think if it were the battery it wouldn't just spring into life after a couple of attempts to fire.
The relay not coming in wouldn't stop it from swinging over if it were at fault.
if it were the starter it wouldn't affect the glowplug light coming on or not.

sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. I'd suspect the gearbox earth cable/connections as it would effect both systems.
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2014, 10:16 AM)DarkInferno Wrote: My thought process having read the thread finished with

Clutch change... they took the earth off the gearbox and chassis leg.... check they aren't loose/corroded/dirty... ideally take em off clean it all and put them back.

Can't help think if it were the battery it wouldn't just spring into life after a couple of attempts to fire.
The relay not coming in wouldn't stop it from swinging over if it were at fault.
if it were the starter it wouldn't affect the glowplug light coming on or not.

sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. I'd suspect the gearbox earth cable/connections as it would effect both systems.

sweet thanks for the input dark :-) does anyone know of a good auto electrician in the swansea area?.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine problem peugeot 306 diesel locodriver 65 6 2,001 03-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Last Post: sb194114
  Starting problem.... Uberderv 4 1,446 09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Odd starting problem. Danterzza 7 1,638 26-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: nominous