1996 306 DT starting issues !!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 306 DT starting issues !!!
Last couple of months my daily driver ( 1996 5 door DT ) has been getting worse at starting when car been left for a while or over night.

Car turns over fine but takes 5-8 secomds to fire up, massive amounts of what I would say bluey white color smoke, even when I open the throttle it like its missing.

new plugs fitted few months back.

Any ideas ????
Thanks given by:
what make of plugs?

how old is the battery?

running veg or diesel?

Any signs of fuel leaking around injectors or fuel lines/pump?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Air ingress into fuel lines most likely.
Prime up the grenade and listen and look for leaks
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Funk me super quick replies

New starter last week along with new battery

Plugs nkg can not remember part number 2.79 each off eBay if I remember

(01-01-2014, 03:20 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Air ingress into fuel lines most likely.
Prime up the grenade and listen and look for leaks

Any know places that normally fail ??
Thanks given by:
Fuel filter housing, and sometime just a loose jubilee clip.

I once has a lucas pump leak on a copper washer on the fuel inlet
Thanks given by:
just next time you go to start it when its been sat for a while, give the fuel grenade a pump and prime it up till firm, then give it a go.

leak off pipes are most common in my exp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 03:46 PM)Piggy Wrote: just next time you go to start it when its been sat for a while, give the fuel grenade a pump and prime it up till firm, then give it a go.

leak off pipes are most common in my exp

Just tried the grenade, will not start now
Thanks given by:
Will not start? Should start miles better
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nope grenade firm turning over ok but that's it, last time did that had to undo the fuel thingy brass color to let out some fuel to get it going
Thanks given by:
So sounds like its definatly letting lots of air in ur having to bleed it
Thanks given by:
Wet all the fuel pipes with soapy water and look for bubbles as you turn it over or rev it Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Just been out to try again and it fired up less smoke, pumped the grenade now won't fire up, when better weather comes full service and check fuel lines for leak, just on point if air getting into the system would it not affect normal driving ?? After starting runs sweet as a nut

New to the xud so be gentle with me !??
Thanks given by:
Diesels are funny with fuel lines and air getting into the system, well on HDI's they are anyways not entirely sure about XUD's as I havn't encountered that problem yet.

Best of doing what Liam said and get some soapy water on the pipes and look for bubbles, and don't forget the leak off pipes.
Thanks given by:
Anyone able to post a picture of which pipes to check thanks
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 04:21 PM)ady_c Wrote: Anyone able to post a picture of which pipes to check thanks

[attachment=12363]

the ones circled in red, excuse the crappy ifail photo.
probably have to take the TMIC off if you've got one on

The leak off pipes wont be solid pipe like the ones off the pump, they will be rubber with a heatproof wrap on them, be careful as they may be brittle if they're old.
Thanks given by:
Ive NEVER encountered a xud or any diesel for that matter, that has refused to start because of priming the fuel system Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 04:31 PM)Piggy Wrote: Ive NEVER encountered a xud or any diesel for that matter, that has refused to start because of priming the fuel system Undecided

Agreed, however if there's a leak in the lines the grenade could be sucking more air in?
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 04:31 PM)Piggy Wrote: Ive NEVER encountered a xud or any diesel for that matter, that has refused to start because of priming the fuel system Undecided

I havn't been on the XUD's for long to encounter problems like that, best to be on the safe side though.

Back to Ady, have you checked the fuel filter and the in-tank strainer to see if there is any crap in there?
Thanks given by:
Dean, not sure of this problem arose when I did a full service many months ago, already have new filters etc so will check filter housing etc. Putting green pee to bed now but will look tomorrow pm, keep u all posted. Thanks
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 05:18 PM)ady_c Wrote: Dean, not sure of this problem arose when I did a full service many months ago, already have new filters etc so will check filter housing etc. Putting green pee to bed now but will look tomorrow pm, keep u all posted. Thanks

Have a check of the in-tank strainer too, just to see if there is anything in there, if you've ran low on diesel then could of sucked some crap through.
If you're on a bosch pump may help to run some veg through to clean to lines, then change the fuel filter after the veg has gone.
Thanks given by:
Going to give it a good check over tomorrow esp the pipes and fuel filter housing. Injectors OK????
Thanks given by:
Make sure you have less than half a tank of fuel when you check the strainer!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 07:39 PM)Dean Wrote:
(01-01-2014, 05:18 PM)ady_c Wrote: Dean, not sure of this problem arose when I did a full service many months ago, already have new filters etc so will check filter housing etc. Putting green pee to bed now but will look tomorrow pm, keep u all posted. Thanks

Have a check of the in-tank strainer too, just to see if there is anything in there, if you've ran low on diesel then could of sucked some crap through.
If you're on a bosch pump may help to run some veg through to clean to lines, then change the fuel filter after the veg has gone.

the pick up for the tank is ALWAYS at the bottom of the tank, so fuel level doesn't affect the amount of dirt picked up Wink

If there was an air leak, there is NO way the priming bulb would go hard, it would always stay soft (because you're compressing the air that's in the system)

The white blueish smoke is raw diesel burning in the exhaust, my 106 does this Tongue (but for different reasons)

Based on the above reasoning, I'm going to point the finger at your battery or plugs. Saying that, it's odd it never started after you squeezed the grenade... this is odd Big Grin
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
OK peeps late home from work so nothing checked, what plugs do you all recomemd ??

What would then best plugs to put in??
Thanks given by:
Bosch ones for me, always.
Thanks given by:
Std Bosch or duratherm
Thanks given by:
Right finally got round to doing a full service, oil, air and fuel filter changed total of £14 plus oil free from work, car seems to be starting loads better, did notice the grenade hand pump might be leaking in air, can anyone supply this new ??
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power issues when starting HDIkyle 2 779 07-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Last Post: toseland
  HELP! 2.1 starting issues...no fuel at injectors :( Piggy 15 3,286 13-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Piggy