Maximum safe boost on 2.1 TD on std. turbo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximum safe boost on 2.1 TD on std. turbo?
Hi guys.

New member from Norway here.

I have a 405 GTX which came with a 1.9 TD engine when I bought it. Due to a broken HG it was cheap, but I never managed to fix it, so I suspect it was a crack somewhere in the block, as it kept building air pressure in the coolant system even after the head skim and a couple of attempts with new headgaskets.

Bought a 605 2.1 TD and took the complete engine and put into the 405.
The engine came with a mechanical Bosch dieselpump as standard.

So this is hos it looks:
[Image: CIMG1760.jpg]

I've had it for a few years already, but have just fixed a boost leak in the IC piping and had it MOT'ed. I've wound up the diesel pump a bit and it's boosting 1.5-1.6 bars. I have a turbo adjustment valve on it, but I suspect it has failed though as I tried to wind the boost down without luck.

However that said, what power should be possible with this setup?
I believe my problem is that I have no clue how to adjust the injection timing to suit the fuelling, and if 1.5-1.6bars is a safe boost level for the standard turbo?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Regards

Kristian
Thanks given by:
Ozone ran one of these as standard and just turning things up in a 306 with good results...never really got an accurate power figure.

Im running one with not much is standard on it.

To be honest there is no real "safe" boost level..other than non perhaps!

Some engines blow at low boost, some never blow on high boost.

My 2.1 is on 1.3bar but with a GT2056...seems happy enough so far. But no real way to tell...it could go pop tomorrow...or more like today! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah. I was more after what boost level that was safe for the turbo.

I believe the engine itself is quite bulletproof Smile
Thanks given by:
What turbo is it? Gt15??
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I believe the standard 2.1 TD one is a TD04 11B, like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-605-2-...4177a7860d
Thanks given by:
Same answer really...theres not really a 'safe' boost level...

Some run little gt15/t2s etc at 30psi for years...others blow them up in a few k

(16-12-2013, 11:13 AM)B1ack_Mi16 Wrote: I believe the standard 2.1 TD one is a TD04 11B, like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-605-2-...4177a7860d

Erm...thats the first Ive heard of a td04 on the 2.1

Most are t2s. The one on ozones is a tiny little unknown one.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry for all the posts, found another pic I took at the time of the conversion.
It seem to say TD04 - 11B on that label actually. So is that good news performance wise?

[Image: CIMG1692.jpg]
Thanks given by:
its ok.

little small, a lot of guys put the tdo4 13g on the 1.9s...but its better than a t2 I suppose.

the td04s are pretty difficult to destroy to be honest!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ozone needs to get his 2.1 in a 405!
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2013, 03:05 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Ozone needs to get his 2.1 in a 205!

edited for win!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
the pump moves on slotted holes to change the timing, although it's possible to make good power without advancing the pump . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
didn't that very clean sigma ph1 from Ireland make something like 160bhp @ 18psi on a t2?
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My 2.1 bosch pump mods, turbo t2@1.5-1.6bar.
It takes several years running smoothly with the turbo.
Thanks given by:
Ok, I guess I can just leave it at 1.5-1.6 bar then and maybe try to do something with the injection timing.

The cold start correction (wire connected to coolant) don't seem to work and had been locked into one position by last owner of engine.

What idle do you need to run when cranking up the pump master adjustment screw? Will it sit at about 1000rpm, or are you able to keep it at 800?
Thanks given by:
Btw. regarding diesel pump, do anyone know what the handle in the middle of this pic do adjust (springloaded one below my thumb)?

[Image: CIMG1733.jpg]

Also this is the part number of the pump, it was a bit different to the 1.9 pump that was on the old engine.
Is this a 9mm or 11mm one?

[Image: CIMG1734.jpg]
Thanks given by:
it's the manual stop lever mate, it stops the engine when running . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Also a 9mm pump
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Find a compressor map for your turbo and learn how to use compressor maps if you don't already know, then you'll be able to work out how much boost to run.

A GT15 at 30 psi for example is ridiculous, it is way out of it's efficiency range and just blowing out hot air, and probably wont last very long either.

Some turbos are stronger than others but running a turbo at silly amounts of boost will shorten the life of it and does nothing for performance.
Thanks given by:
The one I built and then ozone ran had the turbo wound all the way in and as much fueling as I could get out a gov modded 9mm pump without the revs jumping up and was fine and felt like it would take alot more fuel. Think it was the low 20s psi.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GT2359V safe/sensible boost Dum-Dum 13 4,991 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Safe egt limit anto 13 4,873 25-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Last Post: andywhy
  safe boost? brettw1 42 8,155 19-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Mitch