oil cooler...need it?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil cooler...need it?!
ok...so as some may know I have had constant issues with my oil cooler...some my own doing...some not.

But do I need one??

Oil temp never goes above 95degrees on the gauge no matter how hard I drive it

Im thinking of sacking it off and plumbing the heat exchange unit back in

Huh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ooooor you could have it hanging out the front grille in a rat esq style.
That would be big WIN!
Thanks given by:
err no
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You say the oil temp never goes over 95degrees, but is that with the cooler or not? If it is with cooler I would expect the tempture to raise with out it, I'm looking at oil cooler for 205 so will keep my eye on this thread Smile

Thanks given by:
I considered running an oil cooler but my temps only hover around 95 degrees even after a blast.

I'd disconnect the pipe work and trial the heat exchanger.
Thanks given by:
Thats what Im going to do.

it nornally sits around 85/90.

But when the car was overheating all the time it still never went above 95...hit it once.

Whats the sort of temp it should be at?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Christ, I could quite easily see 120*C+ oil temperatures after a brief hoon.

You should ALWAYS keep the heat exchanger - that's because it warms the oil up faster also, it's a two way thing of heating the oil when cold quicker and cooling it down when it's hot...

You want the oil temperatures around the 90*C mark during normal running to allow any water that's gotten in to eventually steam off...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
cool...

It was a secondary question that I wonder if the oil cooler was keeping things too cold!

thanks for input ruan
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Why not get a thermostatic plate or an in line oil thermostat before the cooler that way you've covered all angles?
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 02:25 PM)Ruan Wrote: Christ, I could quite easily see 120*C+ oil temperatures after a brief hoon.

You should ALWAYS keep the heat exchanger - that's because it warms the oil up faster also, it's a two way thing of heating the oil when cold quicker and cooling it down when it's hot...

You want the oil temperatures around the 90*C mark during normal running to allow any water that's gotten in to eventually steam off...

Probs my crappy guage, though I have a homebrew/hybrid cooling system Wink
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 04:19 PM)Sambarker Wrote: Why not get a thermostatic plate or an in line oil thermostat before the cooler that way you've covered all angles?

coz they are line £50...

and its done nothing but drop oil because of it!!

this car is supposed to be a reliable GT not a track weapon!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Heh id deffo say keep it...Without a cooler my car would last about 10 minutes on boost...the oil gets raped in big turbo dervs...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
keep it, why are you having issues mate? my mocal cooler was fine, never leaked once!
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 04:55 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(13-12-2013, 04:19 PM)Sambarker Wrote: Why not get a thermostatic plate or an in line oil thermostat before the cooler that way you've covered all angles?

coz they are line £50...

and its done nothing but drop oil because of it!!

this car is supposed to be a reliable GT not a track weapon!

I suppose £50 is a lot of money to spend for some people.

Perhaps if you had proper pipes made up it might be better. I don't recall mine leaking once.
Thanks given by:
I can't understand anyone having issues with oil cooler hoses unless they're jubilee'd

Which they shouldn't be.

Jubilee clipping HP oil lines is a recipe for disaster.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
That seems quite low after a thrash mine goes up from 90ish to well above 110 after even a short blast
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Hmmm interesting, without a cooler my oil doesn't seem to get that hot - 150F ish cruising and maybe 190F after a hoon

so whats that 60 - 90 Celcius?
Thanks given by:
I always planned to fit one to my boosted XUDs but never got round to it, it's up for sale though Wink
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 09:15 PM)Ruan Wrote: I can't understand anyone having issues with oil cooler hoses unless they're jubilee'd

Which they shouldn't be.

Jubilee clipping HP oil lines is a recipe for disaster.

thats not the issue I have had this time!

see my other thread!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: