need harder springs for my coilovers????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need harder springs for my coilovers????
got ta technix coilovers on my hdi and they are really soft. any advice on what springs i can upgrade too? or where i can get them from... please shed some light if you can..... :?
Thanks given by:
I've moved this to the correct section for you Smile

I'm not sure if you can get stiffer springs for these? Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm either way.
Thanks given by:
Seen a few threads about this.. im not clued up on springs or coilovers but i know demon tweeks sell springs Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
You can get springs, sorting the rate and lengths is a bit of a bar steward though.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
There's a massive thread on this already. I'd give that a read as some usefull information in there Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Top and bottom of it though, if its wound right down then your about 30mm from the bump stops, what chance does the shock have of controlling the movement in 30mm lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Lots - if wasn't built out of chinese tin-foil using decades old designs...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:Lots - if wasn't built out of chinese tin-foil using decades old designs...

Well yes, but then they wouldn't be £120 would they????????????.....................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Look into polybush wishbones etc that will stiffen it up. basically you will need springs with a 2.5" internal diameter.
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Look into polybush wishbones etc that will stiffen it up. basically you will need springs with a 2.5" internal diameter.

Won't stop the shocks bottoming out which I presume is the problem though mate Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ok fair enough.
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Look into polybush wishbones etc that will stiffen it up. basically you will need springs with a 2.5" internal diameter.

Seriously...? You think different wishbones will sort out the coilover softness issues...?

Polybush wishbones are great, in the sense they reduce 'slop' in the suspension, making the steering sharper, but it will do nothing at all to change the fact that those poundland coilovers are shit and come with ridiculously soft springs....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Mate I'm not saying it will solve he problem. But it may help, just an idea jeez...
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Mate I'm not saying it will solve he problem. But it may help, just an idea jeez...

Don't worry about Ed, he belongs on the GTi owners forum..........

He owns a GTi and so is therefore better than everyone who owns a lesser car lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Im amazed at all the people who get problems with the hotuning ones bottoming out, mine have never bottomed out ever, and the springs certainly don't seem to be "soft" infact, its hard as hell... Even if you drive the crap out of it, they dont bottom out, this has always confused me...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Im amazed at all the people who get problems with the hotuning ones bottoming out, mine have never bottomed out ever, and the springs certainly don't seem to be "soft" infact, its hard as hell... Even if you drive the crap out of it, they dont bottom out, this has always confused me...

Well the design of the hottunning ones seems to be very inconsistent so maybe they just send them out with that ever springs they have in stock at the time.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Oh, I didn't know they were inconsistent...

To be honest, ive had mine 2 years, driven the shit out of it, and not had any issues, and handles on rails....so for 140 quid, I honestly cant complain, and ive got them decked to the max almost...

And there still going strong to this day!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Oh, I didn't know they were inconsistent...

To be honest, ive had mine 2 years, driven the shit out of it, and not had any issues, and handles on rails....so for 140 quid, I honestly cant complain, and ive got them decked to the max almost...

And there still going strong to this day!

Yeah one of my mates has them and he might as well just have solid bars in there but I've heard of people saying that sometimes there softer than the original springs and shocks.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Maybe it feels stiff 'cause it's bottoming out and running on the bumpstops? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Mate I'm not saying it will solve he problem. But it may help, just an idea jeez...

Don't worry about Ed, he belongs on the GTi owners forum..........

He owns a GTi and so is therefore better than everyone who owns a lesser car lol

Thank you Mark...

Having re-read my post, it does come across harsher than I intended, but my point still stands; changing wishbones will have no effect upon the softness of the ride.
Thanks given by:
I'm talking more about the polybushes in them. I know the wishbones won't do anything but the stiffer bushes will!
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:Maybe it feels stiff 'cause it's bottoming out and running on the bumpstops? Big Grin

I assume your not being serious....because I might be a derv head, but I can tell when a shock is smashing the bump stop...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:I'm talking more about the polybushes in them. I know the wishbones won't do anything but the stiffer bushes will!

But Jim, the point is they WONT make a difference!!! The polybushes wont affect the rate at which the spring compresses/rebounds, therefore wont affect how soft the spring set-up is, and therefore how much the car rolls/if it hits the bump-stops/dampers!!

[Image: car-suspension-11.gif]

Look at the picture above...

Polybushed wishbones have a stiffer rubber in effect where the wishbone mounts to the bottom of the hub, and the two points where it mounts to the car. It is mounted to the car by bolting THROUGH the rubber bushing. It is mounted to the hub by a ball-joint, which is set into a rubber bushing. Therefore, by having uprated bushes, you only restrict the movement of the hub in relation to its lateral motion, rather than the stiffness as it moves up and down, as it will be pivoting about the bolts which locate it to the chassis.

So in short, as I said, polybushed wishbones will improve the handling in terms of sharpness of turn-in, and will also last longer, but they will do NOTHING to improve the roll or pitch of the car. This can be done by changing spring rates/lengths/dampers.
Thanks given by:
You know I'm joking right Ed Tongue
I totally agree with the actual point Smile

Foxy-jim Wrote:I'm talking more about the polybushes in them. I know the wishbones won't do anything but the stiffer bushes will!

Stop digging foxy, what he is saying is correct Wink

I have to say that I agree with darren and have no problem at all with how stiff they actually are, they hit the stops from time to time but not often and only on bigger hits, they are on the last thread of height adjustment so I would expect that and it handles really well and they have been totally fault free, as far as I am concerned they are money well spent!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Well Ruan has some gaz ones to be fitted soon (dosnt he ed Wink ) tehe, so ill have to take that for some abuse to see what the fuss is about!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:

But Jim, the point is they WONT make a difference!!! The polybushes wont affect the rate at which the spring compresses/rebounds, therefore wont affect how soft the spring set-up is, and therefore how much the car rolls/if it hits the bump-stops/dampers!!

[Image: car-suspension-11.gif]

Look at the picture above...

Polybushed wishbones have a stiffer rubber in effect where the wishbone mounts to the bottom of the hub, and the two points where it mounts to the car. It is mounted to the car by bolting THROUGH the rubber bushing. It is mounted to the hub by a ball-joint, which is set into a rubber bushing. Therefore, by having uprated bushes, you only restrict the movement of the hub in relation to its lateral motion, rather than the stiffness as it moves up and down, as it will be pivoting about the bolts which locate it to the chassis.

So in short, as I said, polybushed wishbones will improve the handling in terms of sharpness of turn-in, and will also last longer, but they will do NOTHING to improve the roll or pitch of the car. This can be done by changing spring rates/lengths/dampers.

Fair enough, I stand corrected!

I'm not digging I was just displaying my understanding at the time. Which was wrong. I just didn't appreciate the s**tty comment in reply!
Thanks given by:
Lol love you too Mark Tongue

And sh'up Darren! Tongue bleddy Ruan and his bagainalicious coilies! Half what I paid for mine! Damn him!! Tongue

Btw, I finally changed the glowies on my nad today: only after having to sit cranking it for about 10mins this morning. My neighbours totally love me... Tongue
Thanks given by:
Bit less than half, I think you'll find...

Wink

xx
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I thought I could hear Ed's adenoids somewhere lol
Thanks given by:
[Ed Doe] OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwww!!!! [/Ed Doe]
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilovers/Springs/Shocks Esmyth124 6 2,403 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: MY95
  TA Coilovers vs GTi6 Shocks & 60mm Springs silverzx 10 2,437 15-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Last Post: puglove
  thoughts on coilovers and shocks and springs mattyh24hdi 24 5,040 22-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Last Post: anto