Over revving?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over revving?
Hi all, for one I don't one if this is normal but I hope someone can post a light on it.

My 1,8 over revs. Best way to put it is, when you accelerate (Doesn't matter how much on the rev range) Then take you foot of the pedal to change gear, the revs carry on going for another 200rpm before dropping? Doesn't seem right as it is a pain when you up shift to the next gear having your car lagging behide?.

Anyone now if this is a problem or just a crap fuilt with these engines?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like your idle control valve sticking open or you have an air leak somewhere

Make sure your inlet manifold bolts are tight also
Thanks given by:
Throttle position sensor maybe.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Where would I find that Niall? Im new to these engines. Big Grin I'll also look into any air leaks
Thanks given by:
At the end of the throttle cable, attached to the throttle body. Wink

Other possible issue is the MAP sensor.
Thanks given by:
Its on the bottom of the throttle body. Easiest way to get it off is to remove the throttle body and flip it over. If you are handy with a multi meter and can find the correct values, you can take the plug off if you remove the inlet hose.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ive got a multi reader! pretty much got it all on there. Half of it I don't understand. What would I be testing for?
Thanks given by:
I don't know unfortunately because i don't have the pin out data. I do on my other laptop but can't get that for you until Tuesday
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Theres no rush Niall I try not to drive it atm due to it letting me down on silly problems.
Thanks given by:
Check for air leaks mate, much easier.
Get a cab of easistart and spray it around suspect areas. If the revs rise you have an air leak
Thanks given by:
Hmm easistart on air leaks? That's a new one for me Smile I will have a good look over it, when I first got the car 2 weeks ago the engine looked like it hasn't been touched in years!! So there's no way I can shrug off any possibility's
Thanks given by:
Sticky throttle cable/spindle or an air leak I would suggest.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
sounds like throttle cable maybe could be wrong though try spraying some grease down it see if it works
Thanks given by:
My bet's on a sticky throttle cable or duff spring on the tb itself.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Ive had a quick look the Tb springs back fine. but the pedal it's self is stiff. ?
Thanks given by:
Probably throttle cable if the pedal is stiff used to have the same with mine occasionally just spray some grease down the cable and see if it improves
Thanks given by:
Yep definitely a bad throttle cable! New one from pug is P/N 1629G0 and is £50.58 which sounds a lot but believe me, cheap aftermarket cables are probably just as bad as your one now!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Hmmm, is there a spring on the pedal arm its self? or is it driven by the cable and tb spring?
Thanks given by:
Cable and TB Spring but whilst your down there, if there is a spring on the side of the clutch pedal, remove it. Can cause clutch wear issues.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car revVing up n8dogg_1 9 2,117 16-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Niall