Volvo T4/5

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo T4/5
Right so I think in my mind it's time to move away from the french scene. I've owned them pretty much the whole time I've been driving and I still love them but am itching for something different. I've done a shit tonne of work on them and can probably name every single bolt on the entire chassis and engine on a 205 and 306.
Now, some are going to hate but, I really want one of the T4/5 engined Volvo's or maybe even a Saab like the 95 Aero Hot. They're both bloody quick cars and yes they will be juicy but I'm getting obsessed by them Angel

These cars are completely new to me so any advice on what to look out for or what to do to make the most out of their performance would be great. Also my budget will be £800 tops.

Inlove bring on the hate...
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
We've got an Abbott Saab 9-5 and had a Volvo t5 v70 before it... Both slightly tuned. The Saab wins hands down on handling and performance. I think the Volvo was 250bhp and the saabs 320. We've still got the Volvo but it's been standing a few years. Was running when it was parked up though... Located down South if you'd be interested
Thanks given by:
Awesome, where abouts exactly? I'm near Portsmouth.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
You'll cry at fuel cost I had the baby 2.5 10v 850 non turbo and I struggled to see anymore than 32mpg averaged between 22/25mpg and it only loved super unleaded I was putting around £120 a week to just do average miles.

Saying that I'd own one again the noise is epic and power is just there dispite the 2ton it weighed.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
*awaits a detailed Ruan review on the volvo range*

good luck with new car though ThumbsUp

\uselesspost
Thanks given by:
I drove a T5R and loved it. Wasnt a touring car for no reason. you need to call it a flying brick tho..not a volvo
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2013, 12:47 PM)strictly_perv Wrote: Awesome, where abouts exactly? I'm near Portsmouth.

Dorset, near Poole. I'll get some pictures later. Might only be good as a donor car... Not sure really
Thanks given by:
Both are brutally fast tuned but it's too much weight and power for a fwd car. JPs on track at PPCITP was hilarious, it monstered pretty much everything on the straights but the corners were a slow comedy of understeer tyre smoke and noise.

IMO if you want a big fast car you want to be looking at a Subaru legacy, Audi a4 or a6 Quattro or a 5 series
Thanks given by:
The T5R I drove was AWD.
Thanks given by:
You can pick up a P2 V70R for like 6k these days, that's a helluva lot of car for your money...

You can get an earlier P1 V70R for not very much, reviews slated them for being quite dull, but in reality they're pretty OK, much more reliable than the P2 with the Haldex centre diff which regularly goes wrong.

The S40/V40 which had the T4 engine is based upon a Mitsubishi Carisma and the name Carisma is frankly an Oxymoron. They aren't charismatic in the slightest. However, can be made to handle OK with a few mods... The T4 is just a T5 with a cylinder lopped off making a 1.9 turbo-4... Tune amazingly well, but are slow revving and a bit cumbersome as standard, they do take fettling to make them respond like an engine should.

The 850 and earlier V70s which had the older Motronic engines without VVT are incredibly reliable - horrific on fuel, but have more character IMO, the ME7 engines (you can tell the ME7s from the curvy cambelt and spark covers)...

The 850s in FWD trim are really just point and squirt cars unless you spend some serious money on them... They aren't about going fast round corners, they are a sea of understeer and roasting tyres... The AWD ones are better - the P2 V70R being the best of the bunch...

[Image: 1180.jpg]
ME7 ^^

[Image: CIMG4168.jpg]
^^ Motronic engine
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I have looked at the C30 as a replacement to the 306, but at the min, the HDI doesn't owe me and its been a reliable car all round.
so I have stayed put.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2013, 01:02 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Both are brutally fast tuned but it's too much weight and power for a fwd car. JPs on track at PPCITP was hilarious, it monstered pretty much everything on the straights but the corners were a slow comedy of understeer tyre smoke and noise.

IMO if you want a big fast car you want to be looking at a Subaru legacy, Audi a4 or a6 Quattro or a 5 series

Can't disagree at all... The saabs understeer is shocking.. But it's sill an incredibly fun car Wink We're after an Audi for the next car.
Thanks given by:
My mate has an 850 T5 estate with a chip, dynos at 262bhp. Bit slow off the line and very understeery, but floor it in 3rd at 40 and the way it gathers speed is staggering! Cost him £600 a year ago and owes him nothing except tyres and brake pads. Only thing, I borrowed it to run up to Cumbria and back to pick up a mate who was moving back to Leeds, I gave it a bit of stick but generally pretty steady, and it was fully loaded on the way back, 21mpg average lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I really wanted an 850 t5r about this time last year but just couldn't find a decent one or a manual. The ones for sale at the time were all automatic and touching 200k miles, they may be strong engines but that's a bit too much for my liking, not without proof of religious servicing anyway.

Still secretly keeping an eye out though haha
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
And heres my thread to bang on about Saabs just to keep Poodle happy!

95 Aero Hots are awesome cars and you get a lot for your money. Mine was a 230 model but had a Hirsch map on it from the dealers and was at about 255bhp. Embarrassed a lot of "fast" cars and for a big barge of a saloon, handled very well.
Despite what Dumdum said, it was not too much power for a FWD. I know there is a school of thought that any more than 220ish is too much but this simply isn't true. Ive seen vids of 500bhp+ 95s and they put the power down really well considering.
When just cruising, its so comfy and relaxed its unreal and not too bad on fuel on the motorway. They are also reliable unless you go for a non aero model with a Garrett turbo, then you will be replacing your turbo every 25 minutes.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
This is funny. I was looking at Volvo 850s just a few weeks ago. A sporty looking 850 saloon can be had for about £700 quid, if I ever have that much money to spare and need a new car I would definitely be looking at them.
Thanks given by:
I like the old 900 turbo
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2013, 06:52 PM)MrMemzi Wrote: I like the old 900 turbo

[Image: ilovelamp.jpg]
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If you really loved lamp. Ud show us all the photo with you kissing it. No homo
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice. Been looking round and getting a decent T5 is a rare thing below £1000.
T4's on the other hand seem to be plentiful and dirt cheap so I'm kind of swaying towards one for now until I find a decent 850 T5.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo BMW 325ti Compact/Volvo V50/C30 D5 RA306 7 2,792 21-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Last Post: RA306
  Volvo XC90 D5 SE Manual (V50 for sale) Anton 85 25,008 09-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Anton
Video New car....Volvo S70 2.5 Turbo strictly_perv 26 9,635 25-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam