Engine wont turn over, tried 2 batteries..HALP!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine wont turn over, tried 2 batteries..HALP!
So yesterday, I did a bit of work on 2 cars ; removing old bits from my -to be scrapped- 306 and fitted a few bits on the new 306,

I found that the car would JUST about turn over but not fire unless I bump start it.

I've tried 2 diff batteries and it made no difference, the interior lights work, the dash lights work but after I stop trying to turn it over all the dials on dash go to the right.

The only electrical work fiddled with was the doors,
I took the doors off the old car and fitted them on the new one and plugged 'em in.

Cant see how this could be causing an issue?
Thanks given by:
Starter motor
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 11:25 AM)Grant Wrote: Starter motor

It died just all of a sudden? Or a fuse is gone?
Thanks given by:
What exactly is happening? Any clicks? Dim dash when you turn the key?

Dude, Facebook me or something if you need
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Well you say it was hard to start before, and now its dead. Sounds to me as if it was on its way out before all the swaps. Its could just be coincidence that it failed at the time it did. Chuck 12v across the motor and see what happens

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 11:33 AM)Grant Wrote: Well you say it was hard to start before, and now its dead. Sounds to me as if it was on its way out before all the swaps. Its could just be coincidence that it failed at the time it did. Chuck 12v across the motor and see what happens

Nope, this new car has started fine since the day I got it a week ago,
all that has changed is A) we swapped the doors over from the old car (they had less dents..) and B) we disc. the battery to remove the airbag/steering wheel !

If I bump it then turn her off and try again within a minute it turns over no prob, but if I leave it for a few mins and try then it just will barely turn at all.

It could very well be the starter motor but it really odd it happening after I simply swap the doors over / disc. the battery for a few mins..

(30-10-2013, 11:33 AM)ginge191 Wrote: What exactly is happening? Any clicks? Dim dash when you turn the key?

Dude, Facebook me or something if you need

I tried man, FB wont let me post on my wall, your wall, anyones wall, send messages, look at MY messages... and I cant remember your Mob no.

Gotta bump the car and go off to see a customer now, wish me luck.

And no it doesnt dim mate, even G.plugs working fine, and no clicks I think.
Thanks given by:
It does sound battery related.

If you can bump off another car and it turns over, but when alone it doesn't, battery sounds shagged
Thanks given by:
did you connect all the wires to the battery you didnt mis one?

doors ph2 doors on a ph3 or 3 on a 2 ?

some with auto windows wont just transfer across to non auto wiring
Thanks given by:
Was it you who called me earlier BTW?

Sounds like Denteh pug wants to cause havoc.
Thanks given by:
Bad earth? Try a jump lead from the negative on the battery to the engine or chassis.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 11:45 AM)ginge191 Wrote: It does sound battery related.

If you can bump off another car and it turns over, but when alone it doesn't, battery sounds shagged

Why so when he says he has tried two batteries? Largely unlikely IMO

Get 12v across the starter from a known working battery and see if that starts it

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 12:07 PM)cully Wrote: did you connect all the wires to the battery you didnt mis one?

doors ph2 doors on a ph3 or 3 on a 2 ?

some with auto windows wont just transfer across to non auto wiring

I do have a feeling its 'door wiring' related but only because it was the ONLY WIRING TOUCHED other then disconnecting the battery like I said before.

The doors came off an Sreg and fitted on to a Preg mate, so not sure if the wiring could be that out??

(30-10-2013, 01:17 PM)Grant Wrote:

Why so when he says he has tried two batteries? Largely unlikely IMO

Get 12v across the starter from a known working battery and see if that starts it

When you say get 12V across the starter, how do you mean exactly?
My electrical lingo is dyer, sorry Sad

(30-10-2013, 12:23 PM)Ricky Wrote: Bad earth? Try a jump lead from the negative on the battery to the engine or chassis.

It was working fine before simply changing the doors, the earthing was never touched (I believe), it still starts if I bump it and ALL the electricals work as it would if the battery was working perfectly..

2 different batteries (that were working perfectly fine) give the exact same results when installed after the door swappage
D:
Thanks given by:
Get the starter motor off, or make sure the car is in neutral. Put +ve12v onto the +ve terminal on the starter motor. Earth the -ve back to te block, or same earth source as the power source you are using.

In other words, you are putting power across the starter motor directly from the power source. If it still fails to start the car it is almost certainly the motor. If it does start the car then your problem is elsewhere. As previously said, it could likely be an earth Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Guy. You around tomorrow...?
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 02:32 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Guy. You around tomorrow...?

Working till early afternoon bud.

I've been so freaking busy this week its unreal, were you planning on making a visit?
Plus ; the cars being scrapped on FRIDAY so if Vaun (?) wanted the rad hoses he's welcome
Thanks given by:
It's up to him.

I could make a visit, I very much doubt the door change would have an impact
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 03:06 PM)ginge191 Wrote: It's up to him.

I could make a visit, I very much doubt the door change would have an impact

I can try to be finished by half 3ish ?

And I know it sounds insane but it was working 100% perfectly up until that point but eh, just seems to be my lucky week thus far.
Thanks given by:
It could be a parisitic drain, you say you fitted a new door but the wiring in the door could be causing the drain on the battery if its shorting

Get a multimeter, plug red probe into amps amd black into com, turn multimeter to 10amp, disconnect earth lead, put black probe on battery earth and red probe on the eath connector you just removed should ready about 25ma i think not 100%.

Let me know results, i had this same problem recently and ir turned out my standard alarm soren was causing a drain, you can also google how to do it as i no my grammar isnt great when using my phone
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 03:25 PM)td_dan Wrote: It could be a parisitic drain, you say you fitted a new door but the wiring in the door could be causing the drain on the battery if its shorting

Get a multimeter, plug red probe into amps amd black into com, turn multimeter to 10amp, disconnect earth lead, put black probe on battery earth and red probe on the eath connector you just removed should ready about 25ma i think not 100%.

Let me know results, i had this same problem recently and ir turned out my standard alarm soren was causing a drain, you can also google how to do it as i no my grammar isnt great when using my phone

Thanks ! I have wondered this also, but there is no battery light on indicating its low (unless 306's dont do this like most other cars? )

I'll try this tomorrow when I have the energy (trolo) and can actually find max's m.meter thingie ..

Again thanks, bud. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks given by:
306s do have the battery light do is click at all or does it just make like a whirring noise and died?

Disconnect the door at the loom and the try and start it if it works notmal the hey presto wiring in the door Smile
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 03:35 PM)td_dan Wrote: 306s do have the battery light do is click at all or does it just make like a whirring noise and died?

Disconnect the door at the loom and the try and start it if it works notmal the hey presto wiring in the door Smile

Right, I'll give it one last try for this evening bud, brb

Disc. both door wire/loom/things, bump started, drove around for 10 mins, parked up, turned it off exactly the same thing happened... So I guess the Starter motor magically died or lost earth
-_-

fuuu
Thanks given by:
FIXED ;

Ginge was correct, it was a battery issue.

Somehow the batt was SO dead that it didnt even give me a warning light, the other batt that I tried was somehow discharged (even though was in use several hours beforehand..), I bumped her, drove for a few mins and shut off, left for 15 mins and she fired right up with no problems what so ever.

Goes to show, check, double check, triple check and then check again.

-n00b out.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I turn my key.. Jimmy306uk 17 5,242 16-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Last Post: nominous
  Clicking noise and now wont turn over HDIkyle 5 1,691 17-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  Car wont turn off Mike 11 2,969 12-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Ruan