turbo timers? are they worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo timers? are they worth it?
Been looking into turbo timers after reading up on what happens after giving the car some stick and then shutting it off...

I have a really bad habit of giving it some bastard and then just pulling it on the drive and shutting the car straight off.

I'm expecting the response of 'well just sit and let the engine idle for a minute' but when you're late for work (which is common for me) and rushing this doesn't work so well...

Just wondering if they are really worth it on diesels , and if anyone has fitted one of these chinese apex'i/hks reps to an xud?

Thanks ,

Lewis
Thanks given by:
I am so guilty of doing exactly the same, so im gonna keep an eye on this, be interested to know what people say. Big Grin

/pointlessreply lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd say don't bother. Just slow down for the last mile or so, keep it off boost.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
as lonmg as you dont come on boost for the last few minutes of your drive, you dont need one.

so assuming that you dont go boosting about your roads outside your house, you dont need one.

plus, if you f*ck a turbo, they're much cheaper than turbo timers are, so you dont need one

tl;dr: you dont need one
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
right I see , ill just have to take it easy on the way home like you say then. I mean those apexi reps from hong kong or wherever they're from, are only 20 quid but not sure if they would go onto an xud easy enough with them not having an ecu and stuff...

anyways, ill go with the verdict and decide against having one! thanks guys Smile

ps. if my turbo breaks , you two are in trouble Wink
Thanks given by:
its not good for a car to be boiling hot and stationary anyway....better to allow car to cool for last mile or so as you travel...avoids heatsoak
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I definitely wouldn't use a cheap one. Guy at my work had one on a Supra, parked it up at 830 and left it running, I walked back to my car at 600 and it was surrounded by an orange stain. It never cut out, and sat there boiling with no fans until the headgasket went in epic fashion...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Not worth it, only worth it if your car parking space is at the end of a slip road. It's when your on boost for like 30 seconds and shut it off. Being on boost and then just letting the revs back down is enough to stop the turbo speed right down. If you've been spanking it all the way and then shut it off as long as your turbo speed is back down which happens in 2 seconds then wouldn't worry. It's more if you shut it down while on boost damage is done ...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2013, 03:42 PM)Dave Wrote: Not worth it, only worth it if your car parking space is at the end of a slip road. It's when your on boost for like 30 seconds and shut it off. Being on boost and then just letting the revs back down is enough to stop the turbo speed right down. If you've been spanking it all the way and then shut it off as long as your turbo speed is back down which happens in 2 seconds then wouldn't worry. It's more if you shut it down while on boost damage is done ...

ahh okay I see, so im guessing its probably something to do with oil pressure just suddenly stopping (if you shut the car off while on boost) which can do the damage like you say?

(29-10-2013, 03:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I definitely wouldn't use a cheap one. Guy at my work had one on a Supra, parked it up at 830 and left it running, I walked back to my car at 600 and it was surrounded by an orange stain. It never cut out, and sat there boiling with no fans until the headgasket went in epic fashion...

oh dear... Sad , im guessing the guy wasn't ever so happy about that then? lol i'm a massive fan of the supra's so i would of hated to have seen that haha
Thanks given by:
Turbo timers are just a saleman gimmick...total waste of time imo.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worth a look if anyone's after a cheap D Turbo L95 12 3,359 11-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Last Post: L95
  Worth getting a gt15 turbo? Jimbo 27 7,826 21-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb