306 jerky clutch - changed cable - still not right! Help me lovely car people!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 jerky clutch - changed cable - still not right! Help me lovely car people!
Hi all.

New to this forum but I wanted some advice from people that know about stuff.

I recently bought a Pergeot 306 T reg 1.4 petrol Meridian as my first car. I like it a lot. It's got half leather seats and a faux walnut dash. It rocks.

Apart from the clutch. When I bought it, the clutch was very stiff and jerky making it difficult to find the bite and not pull away at a zillion miles per hour. I know that these cars have problems with the clutch as the cable dries out as it runs under the manifold. Now, a new cable was purchased, and fitted amongst much swearing. The new cable is one of those adjustable ones.

All seemed ok until we just took it for a long run and now when you go to pull away in first, the bite seems to change where it is every time and sometimes disappears entirely! I know these cars are meant to have a self adjusting clutch. Is this happening because it's got an adjustable cable in it or is it catching on something?

Apart from this issue the car is great so I want to make it work! It's got 99k on it and has had a new timing belt and battery and should have a lot of life in her yet. Your advice and expertise would be very much appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Not read this but on your clutch pedal theres a helper spring. Just take that off and report back.

Ok now ive read it, if you stamp on the pedal a few times it does adjust as far as im aware.

But someone who knows will be along.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As Kent says, try pumping the pedal a few times and see if that helps. If not, come back to us and we'll come up with other ideas. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Push down then get your foot out the way and let it fly up again.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Thanks chaps - will give it a go and come back! It's a pain in the backside not knowing where the bite is going to be, and if it's going to fly forward soon as the foot is lifted!
Thanks given by:
Do a few dirty great burnouts for good measure!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
If it doesent adjust correctly, It will be a issue with the fly wheel. Either contaminated or out of shape.

Thanks given by:
I think she's saying it's an autofactor one with the non-auto adjusting end with the screw that adjusts it.

If so, you may have the stack of bits on the end of the cable wrong, I've seen that before... Does it have a screw on the end of it or does it have like a big lump and a concertina bit of plastic half way down the cable?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I'm having a similar issue, but none of these fixes have worked for me, any ideas?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new clutch cable. krisjones91 1 1,068 26-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Herby7