I'm a cheapskate but would you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a cheapskate but would you?
Evening chaps & chapettes
I do like a good gadget especially for the car an had my eye on the scangauge for a while now but it's pretty pricey for its size, but now a rip-off has appeared on eBay, question is would any of you trust a rip off?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261288716819?r...26_rdc%3D1
I bought a rip-off of the Road Hawk 720 a few months back and ended up using it on the bus and was pretty impressed with the quality and functionality of it, got me out of two company complaints against me and we used the footage with the police to trace three witnesses when some scumbag attacked the bus (literally started boxing the side panels scaring the shit out of a 60yr old Down's syndrome fellow and three learning handicapped people) but I left the company 2months ago and my bus was knackered when I went and was away at mercedes so I never had the chance to take it out when I left otherwise I would have it in the car.
Now this rip-off scangauge is practically £80 cheaper but it's from / in china, at least when I got my fake road hawk it was from a uk seller.
So do we think its worth giving it a go?
Thanks given by:
If you cant afford a real one go for it. The Chinese make everything electronic anyway so your probably just avoiding the huge mark up stuff gets over here.
Thanks given by:
Next you'll be telling us the Thai's make them like the real thing too Chris lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Buy one and review it for us. Looks ok to me offers some good options.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nothing I like better than being a guinea pig....... Within reason of course lol
Thanks given by:
if its rubbish then complain and they are normally really keen to get good feedback and will refund you.
Thanks given by:
it wont work we had a group buy on the turbogauges think it was on .net and none worked on the HDI everyone sent them back and go their money back

save your money and get a scangauge they work i have one!

but a link to the rip-off of the Road Hawk 720 that you talk off would be good Wink
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 05:18 AM)cully Wrote: but a link to the rip-off of the Road Hawk 720 that you talk off would be good Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Smalle...5655c95f2a

That's the same one off the same seller.
Thanks given by:
Or... if you've got either an android or IOS phone.. just buy a £10 bluetooth OBD2 adapter which works better and has more features than a scangauge
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://youtu.be/MGEmr77unF0
http://youtu.be/Vct3bUEv-EE

There's a quick sample of the footage it gets, the mic quality wasn't / isn't great in any of the vids I got off it but it was in a bus, just above the engine, and the whole front end of that thing was pretty loud anyway even on good day and the open plan front end kind of accentuated the sounds. I'd imagine in a car, with a more comfortable suspension, better engine sound-proofing etc it would be fine.

(24-10-2013, 08:57 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Or... if you've got either an android or IOS phone.. just buy a £10 bluetooth OBD2 adapter which works better and has more features than a scangauge
Any links to see the features and where to get it.
Thanks given by:
It supports a massive amount of features but that also kinda depends on what app you plan on using with it, I personally use torque pro and it's awesome.. link to the same one i got.. Boom.. even cheaper than before! £7.75 delivered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Andro...4ac3b4b449
Thanks given by:
That looks great, is that one deffo android only though? I got iPhone and iPad, the missus has the Galaxy S3 but ya guarantee she won't let me use it, she's very very possessive.
Thanks given by:
It says android only.. but it's just a bluetooth dongle, i imagine you'd need a jailbroken iOS device though given they don't like you using bluetooth much
Thanks given by:
Sorry how does a scangauge relate to an onboard camera?

I wouldn't mind an onboard camera.. or two.. or three.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Purely to record your dogging activities i assume trent?
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 01:50 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Purely to record your dogging activities i assume trent?

Ever heard of the BangBro's BangBus? BangDatsun. Stroll up Weston beach front.. See what skets are about.. Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
bangdatsun lol
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 01:58 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: bangdatsun lol

Need a cameraman, interested? Any studs going too?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 09:55 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: It supports a massive amount of features but that also kinda depends on what app you plan on using with it, I personally use torque pro and it's awesome.. link to the same one i got.. Boom.. even cheaper than before! £7.75 delivered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Andro...4ac3b4b449

I got elm 327 bluetooth in mine. I also use torque pro, but I cannt seem to get the mpg to work with the hdi. What did you find to work with the hdi because I know its limited.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 02:09 PM)silverzx Wrote:

Depends what the pays' like really? $1000-5000 a day sound good?

(24-10-2013, 02:15 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(24-10-2013, 09:55 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: It supports a massive amount of features but that also kinda depends on what app you plan on using with it, I personally use torque pro and it's awesome.. link to the same one i got.. Boom.. even cheaper than before! £7.75 delivered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Andro...4ac3b4b449

I got elm 327 bluetooth in mine. I also use torque pro, but I cannt seem to get the mpg to work with the hdi. What did you find to work with the hdi because I know its limited.

I'd have to look through the settings to remember exactly.. but off the top of my head there's an option to use an additional sensor in the menus and IIRC you disable it, then it calculates MPG from the amount of fuel injected and a couple of other things..
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 02:22 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(24-10-2013, 02:09 PM)silverzx Wrote:

Depends what the pays' like really? $1000-5000 a day sound good?

Your joking right.

Your supposed to pay me..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 08:57 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Or... if you've got either an android or IOS phone.. just buy a £10 bluetooth OBD2 adapter which works better and has more features than a scangauge

I want a MPG reading in my 2002 tdci mondeo
Can you explain how this works? I have an iphone?
Or anyone got any other suggestions?
thanks
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 04:35 PM)Stephen Wrote:

I want a MPG reading in my 2002 tdci mondeo
Can you explain how this works? I have an iphone?
Or anyone got any other suggestions?
thanks

Theres a couple apps on the iphone for it. You just connect it to your iphone using bluetooth.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure the Mondeo's have that anyway Stephen! Confused
Thanks given by:
Or would the ripp off scangauge work with my mondeo?

(24-10-2013, 04:39 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'm pretty sure the Mondeo's have that anyway Stephen! Confused
Im not retarded tom
Mine doesnt
Thanks given by:
I didn't say you were lol. Just that I looked at several mk3's and don't remember any of them not having it. Even my Dad's does on a Y plate does (although it's just depressing as its petrol lol).

Edit - From a google apparently the low specced pre-facelift ones didn't have a trip computer as standard....so we're both right as I didn't look at any LX's. lol
Thanks given by:
I bought this one, it does work with iPhone and creates a WiFi network (can also be used with Android). I've bought an app which seems to work - OBD Fusion. However, I don't know if it works on a HDi, I will however be testing it on a HDi on Sunday, so can report back on Monday.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321220663829?s...1497.l2649

Also, seller is in the UK, and a fairly decent guy.
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks that looks alright
I think it would annoy me having to connect my phone to it every time and i just would end up not using it, so would prefer something like a scangauge
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 05:00 PM)Stephen Wrote: Thanks that looks alright
I think it would annoy me having to connect my phone to it every time and i just would end up not using it, so would prefer something like a scangauge

Aye that's true. I've bought this for fault reading rather than ScanGauge type thing.
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by: