Petty in veg

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petty in veg
Yo guys, just bought five litres of petty on Friday and chucked half a litre in the tank (only had about five litres veg in). I was mighty nervous when I was driving along knowning there was petrol in the tank, but I think it turned out okay. It seemed to lose it's effect quickly though, as by the next time I started it was still lumpy. Half a litre to five litres veg is 10%, would it be okay to go up to 20% do you reckon or too much...? Thanks!
Thanks given by:
i wouldn't go 20% tbh, veg will never be diesel best to remember, Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Okay thanks Matt my old mate Wink
Thanks given by:
10% max, even then you need to add in some 2-stroke oil to lubricate the pump and injectors.
You run over 20% and you won't have a working engine for much longer.

If you don't like the lumpy running then chuck a bunch of diesel in, 10L in 30L of veg runs sweet as a nut.
You can also alter the pump timing, I think it's because veg burns slower than diesel or something???

A stage 1 tune is also supposed to help?
Thanks given by:
Stick with 10% man... I don't know about the two stroke. I never had any problems with mine.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
yeah 10% max mate.
Thanks given by:
1) why are you calling it petty???
2) veg alone with derv is fine
3) run no veg if your fussed about a little idle change, smell, looks and sounds which from what I gather, you are.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I'm chucking 50 litres of veg in the tank then filling it the rest of the way with derv (only got £7.22 in, tank wasn't dry) and it's starting and idling like it's on 100% diesel...

I'm actually gonna start doing this all the time, it's worth the little extra for smooth starting and cold running, 50 litres of veg is 40 quid, so even with diesel its a 53 quid tankful, beats 78 quid.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Because surprisingly petty is slang for petrol.

Just a guess.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 08:40 PM)ginge191 Wrote: 1) why are you calling it petty???
2) veg alone with derv is fine
3) run no veg if your fussed about a little idle change, smell, looks and sounds which from what I gather, you are.

We refer to it as petty because its a nickname for petrol just like we sometimes refer to diesel as dino juice.

However your statement of "veg alone with derv is fine" is actually incorrect. DERV is the acronym for Diesel Engined Road Vehicle and in this weather running veg alone in a Diesel Engined Road Vehicle wont be fine, in fact for some of our northen members it could lead to the car not starting as the veg alone is too thick with the low temperatures we are starting to experience.

This is why we are suggesting 10% petty in with the veg

See however pedantic you think you can be I could always do better Smile
Thanks given by:
.... Fight lol
Thanks given by:
/yawn
Thanks given by:
Popcorn
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So whats the down sides to putting it in more than 10%?? ive just started doing it and dont fancy killing my car by putting to much in with the veg lol But it helped alot with thinning it out/starting up first thing in a morning. All tho when it gets colder i think im gonna have issues agin Undecided but will see what its like when it comes to colder mornings.

Thanks given by:
try a bit of paraffin works wonders
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 09:48 AM)pugvivant Wrote: try a bit of paraffin works wonders

Other than the fact that its illegal and if your caught could have your car seized and crushed by HMRC
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 10:08 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(21-10-2013, 09:48 AM)pugvivant Wrote: try a bit of paraffin works wonders

Other than the fact that its illegal and if your caught could have your car seized and crushed by HMRC

...and consuming untaxed vegetable oil as fuel with little acknowledgement of recordings is legit?
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 11:31 AM)ginge191 Wrote: ...and consuming untaxed vegetable oil as fuel with little acknowledgement of recordings is legit?

No as you well know you have to keep records of what you use but it aint exactly hard to do is it?
Thanks given by:
Neither is understanding that mentioning DERV in a sentence referring to diesel, and the viscosity of veg oil during cold weather needed to be clarirified like a pedantic lady garden I thought I'd include the legality of using veg oil as it hasn't been mentioned as some would assume this as "common" knowledge

I'm done...
Thanks given by:
Put your handbags down ladies
Thanks given by:
This time of year I run 55 litres of veg, a 5 litre jerry can of petrol, and one shot of millers cetane booster.

One extremely worthwhile modification, if you have not done it already, is to modify the fuel filter housing (cutting down the stat, inserting a 10 cent coin, sealing everything back up), as this forces all of the veg to run through the maze heated by the coolant. Peugeot put it there for a reason, so you may as well use it. This alone will bring average fuel temps up by 10*c, which to veg makes a big difference.

Also r3k1355 is spot on with the tuning, a stage 1 does help, although I never really worked out why as the main problem is incomplete combustion. Meh.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 08:20 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: So whats the down sides to putting it in more than 10%?? ive just started doing it and dont fancy killing my car by putting to much in with the veg lol But it helped alot with thinning it out/starting up first thing in a morning. All tho when it gets colder i think im gonna have issues agin Undecided but will see what its like when it comes to colder mornings.

Anyway.....

Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 05:06 PM)Toby Wrote: This time of year I run 55 litres of veg, a 5 litre jerry can of petrol, and one shot of millers cetane booster.

One extremely worthwhile modification, if you have not done it already, is to modify the fuel filter housing (cutting down the stat, inserting a 10 cent coin, sealing everything back up), as this forces all of the veg to run through the maze heated by the coolant. Peugeot put it there for a reason, so you may as well use it. This alone will bring average fuel temps up by 10*c, which to veg makes a big difference.

Also r3k1355 is spot on with the tuning, a stage 1 does help, although I never really worked out why as the main problem is incomplete combustion. Meh.

'the penny trick'!

I always do this.

But doesnt help with cold starts...hence petrol/cetane booster
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 05:10 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(21-10-2013, 05:06 PM)Toby Wrote: This time of year I run 55 litres of veg, a 5 litre jerry can of petrol, and one shot of millers cetane booster.

'the penny trick'!

I always do this.

But doesnt help with cold starts...hence petrol/cetane booster

Indeed, although I never understood why as a penny doesn't fit unless you file the crap out of it.

Yep, bit of 'petty' to get it going, then once up to temp this mod takes care of the rest.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Another trick people have tried is increasing the cold idle past 1000 rpm.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 10:08 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Another trick people have tried is increasing the cold idle past 1000 rpm.

yep mine's at just over 1100 . . . . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
People use the cold idle...!? o.O
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Ive got a question regarding this topic,

So in summer i was running 100% veg no problems, started after around 10 seconds of turning over, then ran lumpy for 2 minutes or so, lots of white smoke when it fired,

Last week I was running 10% petrol to veg, took ages to start, when it fired it would run perfectly smooth and blast black smoke out the back,

Now im running 50% veg 50% diesel, and it takes as long as above to start (probs 20 seconds if it hasnt been driven for a day or two) and blows huge amounts of black smoke out when it does fire, again, more black smoke here but not as much as 1st start in the morning

then also, if i leave my car for a couple of hours after driving it, it still takes a good, 8 seconds or so to start, which seams weird as it should all be reasonably warm,

any suggestions? It seams to me that since i've put petrol in the tank its making it a bugger to start, but when it does it runs smooth ? Temps not down too low here yet either..

thanks hope nobody minds me jumping in on this thread.

Andy
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2013, 02:52 PM)Andy annear Wrote: Ive got a question regarding this topic,

So in summer i was running 100% veg no problems, started after around 10 seconds of turning over, then ran lumpy for 2 minutes or so, lots of white smoke when it fired,

Last week I was running 10% petrol to veg, took ages to start, when it fired it would run perfectly smooth and blast black smoke out the back,

Now im running 50% veg 50% diesel, and it takes as long as above to start (probs 20 seconds if it hasnt been driven for a day or two) and blows huge amounts of black smoke out when it does fire, again, more black smoke here but not as much as 1st start in the morning

then also, if i leave my car for a couple of hours after driving it, it still takes a good, 8 seconds or so to start, which seams weird as it should all be reasonably warm,

any suggestions? It seams to me that since i've put petrol in the tank its making it a bugger to start, but when it does it runs smooth ? Temps not down too low here yet either..

thanks hope nobody minds me jumping in on this thread.

Andy

change your glowplugs . . .Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeh ? bosch recomended?
Thanks given by: