HDI more MPG

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI more MPG
I really would like to get back to the almost 700 miles I was getting out of a tank, its not an unfair number. Really need to service the car as its gonna be a little longer than I hoped to get the 2.2 in and think I'm gonna fit my FMIC to the 2.0 as I have all the bits bar a 41mm 90 bend
Thanks given by:
700 miles to a tank is do-able as you can get 66 litres in there. 64 litres doing 50mpg will get you there.

I used to get 730 religiously before filling up, nowadays it falls awkwardly, like it would be halfway to work one day, so i'm always filling up by 680.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Ha! C2K, it's a hard life, hey! Angel

The first thing everyone says when the see my 306 for the first time is, "Is that car really a Y plate? It looks brand new!" Of course, many industry reviewes, such as AutoExpress and Parkers, still mention that the 306 had looks ahead of its time and still looks good even when compared to today's most popular vehicles. It's true.

The SECOND thing that knowlegeable mates and mechanics say once they've spotted the FMIC and heard the exhaust is, "So what's your bhp and tank range?". And when I tell them "160 and a 700+", they just shake their heads and laugh! "No wonder you've kept it that long then mate...", they always respond. They're right!

If you know a good thing when you see it, then keeping a car with those insurprassable benefits for at least 270k miles shouldn't be surprising at all! Wink
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2013, 07:59 PM)Pipps Wrote: Ha! C2K, it's a hard life, hey! Angel

The first thing everyone says when the see my 306 for the first time is, "Is that car really a Y plate? It looks brand new!" Of course, many industry reviewes, such as AutoExpress and Parkers, still mention that the 306 had looks ahead of its time and still looks good even when compared to today's most popular vehicles. It's true.

The SECOND thing that knowlegeable mates and mechanics say once they've spotted the FMIC and heard the exhaust is, "So what's your bhp and tank range?". And when I tell them "160 and a 700+", they just shake their heads and laugh! "No wonder you've kept it that long then mate...", they always respond. They're right!

If you know a good thing when you see it, then keeping a car with those insurprassable benefits for at least 270k miles shouldn't be surprising at all! Wink
What is the FMIC?
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2013, 07:18 PM)KevinTW Wrote: What is the FMIC?

Front Mounted Inter Cooler?
Thanks given by:
47.9mpg average over the last 2 full tanks. 11% better than I was getting before I started.
Thanks given by:
So are you running a Stage 1 remap now?
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2013, 11:04 AM)Pipps Wrote: So are you running a Stage 1 remap now?

No just decat exhaust and egr blanking plate plus proper 10/40 oil and a new MAF. In Jan I will get an economy at all costs remap
Thanks given by:
Great job! Keep going! Smile
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2013, 07:15 PM)KevinTW Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 11:04 AM)Pipps Wrote: So are you running a Stage 1 remap now?

No just decat exhaust and egr blanking plate plus proper 10/40 oil and a new MAF. In Jan I will get an economy at all costs remap

Its great that those changes have added 10% more mpg
Thanks given by:
Now that you're conscious of MPG, it's amazing how your driving style can make small changes too Smile
Thanks given by:
48.2mpg last tank. 4.546 is the litres to gallons number!
Thanks given by:
According to my onboard computer thingy, mine is doing 53.3 to the gallon, and that's a totally standard HDi with absolutely no mods whatsoever.

I drive it sensibly, and change gear to achieve the best possible results.

Did I mention that I also drive 44t artics, so am used to driving in the green band.......
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2013, 09:52 PM)Quinny Wrote: Did I mention that I also drive 44t artics, so am used to driving in the green band.......

What kind of mpg do they do?
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2013, 10:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(27-12-2013, 09:52 PM)Quinny Wrote: Did I mention that I also drive 44t artics, so am used to driving in the green band.......

About 7 normally. 10 if you're lucky and it's unladen.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2013, 10:11 PM)C2K Wrote:
(27-12-2013, 10:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

About 7 normally. 10 if you're lucky and it's unladen.

That's not bad tbh.... 44 times as heavy and only 7 times as much fuel used..... Confused
Thanks given by:
I thought HGVs only did 4/5mpg fully laden?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Depends on operating weight, lots are nowhere near 44t on a daily as they end up full by volume depending on cargo. I got that info from an argos driver years ago when I was working there, im not a driver lol.. 7 was with a full single deck trailer, the doubles were like 4 as they were considerably more heavy.
Thanks given by:
[quote='Quinny' pid='369614' dateline='1388181163']
According to my onboard computer thingy, mine is doing 53.3 to the gallon, and that's a totally standard HDi with absolutely no mods whatsoever.

Did I mention that I also drive 44t artics, so am used to driving in the green band.......
[/qu
Is your's an estate or hatch?
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2013, 11:25 AM)KevinTW Wrote: [quote='Quinny' pid='369614' dateline='1388181163']

[/qu
Is your's an estate or hatch?

It's a saloon.

As for artics....

If I'm on brick and block work, I'm running full nearly all the time, and it can be as low as 3mpg to 7mpg. If I'm running light on other work, I have achieved nearly 13mpg. Double deck trailers will see me achieve around 9mpg due to their aero dynamic efficiency of a house brick.
Thanks given by:
Down to 3mpg lol, that's more like what I expected! lol
Thanks given by:
Reading this worries me. My full tank managed 400. I don't do much motorway driving. Prob 70\30 town/mway.
Its a I'm at 205k so expected some reduction, and considering its a wagon, loose some more due to weight but minus a realistic 100 _miles?
What's going on?
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 02:22 AM)Lego Jon Wrote: Reading this worries me. My full tank managed 400. I don't do much motorway driving. Prob 70\30 town/mway.
Its a I'm at 205k so expected some reduction, and considering its a wagon, loose some more due to weight but minus a realistic 100 _miles?
What's going on?

last service? brakes need attention? boost leak? egr blocked / stuck open? low tyre pressures, all factors that wont help...
my 306 i have is on 201k, it is only a hatch but still does more than that but i do drive everywhere at 55mph, used drive sprinter all day so used to going slower as it saves alot of fuel in the big old bus...
Thanks given by:
Serviced before I bought it. Saw reciept but didn't check the date. Replaced air filter myself. Replaced thermostat and red coolant myself couple hundred miles ago. Oil change coming up.

Egr was blanked just after I bought it.
Thanks given by:
Holy fook, that's horrendous. Dude, need to sort that out, should be getting about 600+ with mostly town driving.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 09:34 AM)Poodle Wrote: should be getting about 600+ with mostly town driving.

Town driving is woeful for MPG? So I'm not that shocked? dozens of short journeys where nothing gets up to temp, or sitting in a queue doing 0MPG?
Roughly 400 to a tank is bad, but only proper brim-brim tests give an accurate MPG number.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2013, 10:47 AM)tigerstyle Wrote:
(29-12-2013, 09:34 AM)Poodle Wrote: should be getting about 600+ with mostly town driving.

Town driving is woeful for MPG? So I'm not that shocked? dozens of short journeys where nothing gets up to temp, or sitting in a queue doing 0MPG?
Roughly 400 to a tank is bad, but only proper brim-brim tests give an accurate MPG number.

400 is a shocker. Even with my stop start driving I was getting over 500 on a tank before I did any mods. Read through the thread there is a lot of good advice in here,I am getting about 600 to a tank now and mine is an estate too.
Thanks given by:
At 400 there's something fundamentally wrong with it, i get over 700 miles to ~£90 doing mostly journeys where the coolant doesn't even get up to temp.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
600 is a bit rich for town poodle. A solid town tank is about 550. 700 is achievable on a motorway tank.

Not sure what size tank estates have but you can get 66 litres in a hatch.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, guess the stripping out has gained more than i thought. I do the odd long journey, but it's not often enough to make more than 50 miles difference tops. On a steady motorway tank at ~70 she can see over 800 miles. Driving style might be a large factor, i don't granny it everywhere by any means, but i don't waste much energy either.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: