Wheel Refurbishment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel Refurbishment
I may have found myself a set of ninja wheels that I can make fit, and that I've never seen on a 306 before, however they are in awful condition. They're all straight, but down to bare metal around the whole lip on 3 of the 4 wheels and fairly corroded.

Normally, I'd break out the sandpaper etc. and get on with it, but the design would be a massive pain, and so I'm looking at alternatives. So...

1. How much does it cost to sandblast a set of wheels, usually?

2. Is it easy to refurbish a set of wheels from bare metal? For either me, or a pro.

3. What about powdercoating? Expensive? Could I paint over powdercoat if they don't have the exact colour I want?

That's about it really, cheers chaps!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Sand blast usually £25 a wheel iirc.

Not sure about refurbing from bare metal.

Powdercoat I sent mine of without tyres for £130 they dipped them and coated them. But problem is they dont refurb them cos marks are still seen. They try their best though.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
wellers will look gay
Thanks given by:
Not wellers.
Thanks given by:
Any advances on this?
Thanks given by:
Not sure how much sandblasting costs, Google or ring places?

It's no different apart from requiring different primer. Acid etch generally.

Powder coating varies I think, again, you're better off phoning around. It will depend on the size of the wheel too. Sure you could paint over it, although it would need prepping again and you'd lose the hard wearing finish which is a benefit. Only think you'd really gain is a smooth surface...
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2013, 12:42 AM)Curt Wrote: Not sure how much sandblasting costs, Google or ring places?

It's no different apart from requiring different primer. Acid etch generally.

Powder coating varies I think, again, you're better off phoning around. It will depend on the size of the wheel too. Sure you could paint over it, although it would need prepping again and you'd lose the hard wearing finish which is a benefit. Only think you'd really gain is a smooth surface...

Powder coating lousy longer and cleans so easy. Not often I have to use wheel cleaner.
But it's easy to take off. My dads wheel Just twisted next to curb and caught it. Made terrible mess
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive refurbed 10 sets of wheels from scratch and by hand and its a time consumeing and boring job!
I rang a local wheel place to me in cornwall and they quoted £200 for of set of 4 powdercoated which isnt too bad but i prefer to do them myself.
[Image: cornishmafia.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not really worth goin back to bare metal, I work at a bodyshop and we do thousands of wheels from trade to AC Schnitzer wheels and we will only go back to bare metal if the wheels hav completely corroded on every spoke, it is a very tedious job but well worth it.
On the powder coat side if the actually lip is badly damaged then it will show through the powder coat, I did a set for my Mk1 golf but luckily they didn't have any curbing so they looked really nice, was a really deep black and I sprayed the dish part in a high metal silver, looked the dogs bolloks!! :-P lol
Iv recently done my Ibiza wheels which I spent 2 days doin to give you a rough idea how long a good job can take, annoyingly most of that time was waiting for the paint stages to dry!! Lol
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2013, 10:57 AM)Choppin Wrote: Not really worth goin back to bare metal, I work at a bodyshop and we do thousands of wheels from trade to AC Schnitzer wheels and we will only go back to bare metal if the wheels hav completely corroded on every spoke, it is a very tedious job but well worth it.
On the powder coat side if the actually lip is badly damaged then it will show through the powder coat, I did a set for my Mk1 golf but luckily they didn't have any curbing so they looked really nice, was a really deep black and I sprayed the dish part in a high metal silver, looked the dogs bolloks!! :-P lol
Iv recently done my Ibiza wheels which I spent 2 days doin to give you a rough idea how long a good job can take, annoyingly most of that time was waiting for the paint stages to dry!! Lol

spot on reply mate! i have to do mine over a couple weeks few hours here and there!

a few ive done not the best picture quality!

volvo t5 alloys in sprakling bmw anthracite!
[Image: DSC_0466.jpg]

my current cyclones in gloos black!
[Image: DSC_0861.jpg]
[Image: cornishmafia.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Okay, choppin, they'd have to go back to bare metal, as they already are in most places, but there isn't much kerbing at all (if any, in fact). This it's just poor storage and corrosion, they are pushing 20 years old!

I'll look into where I can get it done, sounds like too big of a job for me, anyway!
Thanks given by:
City powder coaters in brum. Think they are 40 boys a corner.
Thanks given by:
Oh fair play, well you maybe able to get away with getting them shot blasted and then powder coated, you may have to catch the lip if it has some minor curbing, do you know if they have been refurbished before? You could unearth some previous repairs when shot blasting, just to warn you!! Lol
Thanks given by:
They definitely haven't been refurbed by the looks of them lol. £40 a corner seems steep, cheapest I've found in Brum so far is £20 for sandblasting and powdercoating.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alloy wheel refurbishment and colouring mackat 5 1,305 24-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: mackat