Exhaust and MOT..?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust and MOT..?
Would my car pass MOT if i had just a back box on car? Huh Thinking of getting a full straight through made up no boxes at all as i have a decat pipe on and was thinking of making the part where the backbox would usually be come off as come MOT i could put my backbox on..anyone shed any light on the subject Huh
Thanks given by:
If you have a petrol, a cat (as far as 306's go) is a must.
If you have a diesel, you don't need a cat as it's just a smoke test, and you need at least 1 box in the system - so your backbox will do.
If you want a full straight through, weld a straight pipe through a cut open box so it appears to the MOT tester you do have a box.
Thanks given by:
Correction; as of the beginning of this year? you must have a CAT on the car if it was fitted as a factory standard
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
what about the TD 306's as techically thats not a cat?
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2013, 05:14 PM)vlj Wrote: If you have a petrol, a cat (as far as 306's go) is a must.
If you have a diesel, you don't need a cat as it's just a smoke test, and you need at least 1 box in the system - so your backbox will do.
If you want a full straight through, weld a straight pipe through a cut open box so it appears to the MOT tester you do have a box.

Yeah its a diesel (306) yeah ive an exhaust on the car atm with mid box and bb, but took it off the day as a few ones wanted to hear what it sounded like and it got me thinking about it, its just itd be handy if it would but if not the exhaust on it atm can be put on in about 20mins
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2013, 05:16 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Correction; as of the beginning of this year? you must have a CAT on the car if it was fitted as a factory standard

Only for vehicles needing an emissions test, so petrols.

The diesels do still have a cat (its not a DPF on an XUD/HDi its still a cat) however, as they do not need an emissions test, the presence of a cat is not checked for these vehicles. They must just pass the smoke test.

I specifically asked VOSA about this when decatting the Golf.
Thanks given by: