heat wrap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heat wrap
Information 
Hey all looking at heat wrapping my exhaust just winderd if any of you had any tips or tricks and am I rite in thinking I need to make it damp?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
so long as you coat it after wrapping all should be well.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers piggy so you can coat it in water after then yeh?
Thanks given by:
er no.
water would likely dry off natually let alone when the mani gets to 100s of degrees.

there is a proper coating that most forget/dont bother to put on the wrap. makes it waterproof/helps longevity.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ahh ryt oki doki any idea where I can get it from?
Thanks given by:
same place ya get heat wrap I presume. been a while since I used it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2013, 05:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: makes it waterproof/helps longevity.

Oil resistance my friend. Fire hazards etc

Who gives a rats arse if their exhaust gets wet lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
ah there we...knew there was real reason.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What part of the system are you wrapping??

Only really worth doing up to the cat or de cat.

Apply it wet, this opens up the weave, pull it tight as you go and be prepared for smoke and lots of it when you start up!!

As said make sure you spray it with the correct silicone sealant afterwards, this makes it last longer and stops the ingress of oil etc
Thanks given by:
Sorry should have put this in the original post im wrapping up to the de cat and will be going over the four branch what do you think to it does it really keep the temp lower? Will also be replacing the fans at a later date as one is f*cked but does like to get hot on the motorway
Thanks given by:
It does keep the bay temps down but you might also notice a tiny tiny increase on how freely the engine revs as the heat is kept in the exhaust gasses and the hotter they are, the better they flow.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Nice tiny is better than nothing lol so that twined with some new fans should keep the motorway and general temps down.
Thanks given by:
You should not need your fans to come on when your on the motorway!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Well seems to like sitting between 90-95 so always worring it gonna overheat. What u think?
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2013, 08:21 PM)bighead02 Wrote: Well seems to like sitting between 90-95 so always worring it gonna overheat. What u think?

Thats about right for a petrol.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine never sits between 90 and 95 on a motorway! Have you got any history of the 'stat ever being changed?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Not that I no of and when u say stat h mean thermostat yeh? I always thought it was to hot
Thanks given by:
Yeah thermostat. If its not opening, its not allowing the water to reach the radiator for cooling so you are purely relying on air blowing over the engine whilst driving (which doesnt really happen)
For the sake of £5, id put a new stat in and see what happens.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I always thought 90 was about right for petrol. 95 on motorway yeah probably high as you constantly getting cold air through
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
well a GTi normally sits between 75-85 on the motorway and they seem to run hot. My old 1.8 sat at 70 regardless of what you did with it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ok then will look for a new one any ideas where best to get one from? And how easy are they to fit?
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2013, 08:57 AM)Niall Wrote: well a GTi normally sits between 75-85 on the motorway and they seem to run hot. My old 1.8 sat at 70 regardless of what you did with it.

Ok fair enough. Only petrol 306 I had was 1.4 which u done round for about 2 months with head gasket problems. But I know all the other petrols I had was around 90
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
As said the fans don't effect temps on the motorway

Should run around the 85 mark , can't remember off the top if my head if the 306 stat opens at 83 or 86 but the temp shouldn't be any lower than 80.
If it is lower than that it would point to a sensor issue or guage under reading.

Changing the stat isn't a problem, bleeding the system and making sure you have all the air out isn't so easy
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 01:44 PM)swampy Wrote: As said the fans don't effect temps on the motorway

Should run around the 85 mark , can't remember off the top if my head if the 306 stat opens at 83 or 86 but the temp shouldn't be any lower than 80.
If it is lower than that it would point to a sensor issue or guage under reading.

Changing the stat isn't a problem, bleeding the system and making sure you have all the air out isn't so easy

83 Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Bleeding a TU is a piece of piss, it's a 2 minute job.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
isnt a xud stat opening at 83 but the 1.4/1.6s opening at 86?!

if anything the rad fans would probably stall the air on the motorway!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: