Getting into waste management careers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into waste management careers?
Morning all Smile

Been looking into working as a bin man or 'refuse operative' as the more PC term, for a few reasons.

The first is the active aspect of it, ie actually being up and about doing physical activity which I like. My current job is like an office job and I hate being sat on a chair for hours on end

I'd also like to be up early in the mornings, would be more beneficial to me to start and finish work a few hours earlier than normal

Plus the wage doesn't seem too bad, for a 40 hour week the starting pay I've read is about £17k and there's the opportunities to progress?

This is just what I've found from a bit of research in the Internet, I might have got it all wrong so that's why I'm posting hereSmile incase anyone is, has been or knows someone who works in this sector and has any information to share

Also worth noting I'm only 18 at the moment so really need to be deciding what I want to do for a stable career :/

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
certainly aiming high in life if you're aspiring to be a bin man Tongue

nah all jokes aside the wage is good and the hours are even better more money than im on doing a crappy 9-5 office job Sad
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2013, 09:13 AM)adamm306 Wrote: certainly aiming high in life if you're aspiring to be a bin man Tongue

nah all jokes aside the wage is good and the hours are even better more money than im on doing a crappy 9-5 office job Sad

Heheh I knew some people would say that Big Grin my uncles friend knew a bloke who had a degree in mechanical engineering but ended up being a bin man for those reasons, I laughed at first but now I kinda get why Big Grin

I know the feeling I'm doing 3pm-9pm at the moment and its tragic Sad
Thanks given by:
ive always wanted a early job my old man works for the royal mail delivery vans does like 5am-1pm mon-fri epic hours
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
it's not at all a bad job; working til what, 12/1 most days, surrounded by heavy machinary and physical labour; it's an all round good shout.

The local authorities and councils would be who you'd want to look for.

OR those companies contracted, SITA, BIFFA and others, not sure who maybe your local provider.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
It's not true that bin men only work till 12/1, I done ιt for 3 years be at the yard 7am back at yard 4.30/5 ιsh, depending on whether the area has wheelie bins or not. We used to do the posh area that refused em!! Was a nitemare!! Winter soaked through walking feckin miles, summer soaked through with sweat, feckin maggots ɑnd flies everywhere!! She used to make me get undressed on the door step lol, hated ιt, I would suggest something else bud, had a laugh but that's about it
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff Management Eeyore 12 2,938 06-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Careers advice? Really have f*cked it now rtha6551 13 2,184 19-10-2016, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Aftermarket diesel engine management jammapic 10 2,296 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Atterz