No insurance on a car do i have to sorn it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No insurance on a car do i have to sorn it?
As above really i remember people talk about it a while ago, that they brought it in that you have to sorn your car when it doesn't have any insurance?

Is it true? if so how do i do it?

Thanks in advance

Thanks given by:
Yes you have to SORN it if uninsured.

You go on the .gov website and it only takes a few minutes.....

https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statuto...tification
Thanks given by:
chris has it got any tax on it? if so id just buy a car cover and cover it up. it wont hurt anyone.
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 03:51 PM)procta Wrote: chris has it got any tax on it? if so id just buy a car cover and cover it up. it wont hurt anyone.

I don't think a car cover will hide the car from the DVLA database... lol
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 03:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(14-09-2013, 03:51 PM)procta Wrote: chris has it got any tax on it? if so id just buy a car cover and cover it up. it wont hurt anyone.

I don't think a car cover will hide the car from the DVLA database... lol

cannot see it undercover, Wink plus I don't think DVLA will give a monkeys if its taxed.
Thanks given by:
Yeah they do. You can't have a car taxed and uninsured now. And it's all on a database so they don't have to look at the car.

They just send out letters for fines instead.

If the car is still taxed, you get the rest of the tax back anyway. Just this morning I got a tax refund from the tax that was left on the moonstone.
Thanks given by:
I just learnt about this, the first thing they will do is send you a £100 fine and if you pay it quick its only £50, mine arived yesterday, no warning or anything
Thanks given by:
Thanks will go on that site when I'm on pc, it's got tax till end November will I get anything back from that with it being so short?

Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 04:25 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Thanks will go on that site when I'm on pc, it's got tax till end November will I get anything back from that with it being so short?

You get every FULL month left. So you will get two months back (£36 odd if its the '6).
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 04:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(14-09-2013, 04:25 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Thanks will go on that site when I'm on pc, it's got tax till end November will I get anything back from that with it being so short?

You get every FULL month left. So you will get two months back (£36 odd if its the '6).

Ok cool thanks for that will get it sorted if I send tax back can sorn it on the form when I do that? Will cover it for no insurance?

Thanks given by:
Yeah you can SORN it when you print the form to claim the tax back (I didn't realise and ended up SORN'ing mine twice haha).

And yeah when its not insured, it just needs to be SORNed, that's it. Smile
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 04:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah you can SORN it when you print the form to claim the tax back (I didn't realise and ended up SORN'ing mine twice haha).

And yeah when its not insured, it just needs to be SORNed, that's it. Smile

Ok thanks for help Smile

Thanks given by:
Hey it Sorn better safe then sorry
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Totally didn't know this, my mondeos been taxed without insurance for about 4 months, oops
Thanks given by:
my car wasnt taxed or insured outside my house for ages no letter no clamp no nothing
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2013, 03:38 PM)adamm306 Wrote: my car wasnt taxed or insured outside my house for ages no letter no clamp no nothing

Erm....that's how it's supposed to be!

It's when you ONLY have tax that's the problem....

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
Thanks given by:
I got a fine within 5 fecking days!!! Bastids
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes, legally, if its taxed, it HAS to have insurance, or else they CAN fine you...matter of luck if you risk it...

So you need to SORN it, but obviously, if its SORNED, it needs to be OFF the public road, or else they can screw you for that.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Yep every way they get you!!!
Thanks given by:
Sent form off today mine is off road any way so all good see what I get back for the tax now

Thanks given by:
The blue 6 has been outside mine for 2 months has tax and mot but not insured! But it's on private land ! Dvla can do one Wink
Thanks given by:
You say that but ιt don't matter!! Private land or not!
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2013, 07:52 PM)Segers266 Wrote: The blue 6 has been outside mine for 2 months has tax and mot but not insured! But it's on private land ! Dvla can do one Wink

Doesn't matter where it is lol, if it's uninsured but still taxed they can still fine you.

Why not SORN it anyway? If it's not insured you're obviously not driving it so just wasting the tax.... Confused
Thanks given by:
Not really bothered tbh! Not in my name or my car so it can sit there all it likes haha! I have no keys to even get the tax disk out haha!
Thanks given by:
If its not in your name you won't get the letters/fines for it anyway. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Exactly Wink haha!
Thanks given by:
Didn't say that when giving ιt big spuds though did ya lol
Thanks given by:
this irrtated me a lot when the law changed...about 18months ago I believe.

I was starting a nice turn around of cash by buying cars with some tax and short MOTs for cheap, or ones with HG fails etc...
get a days insurance to drive it or tow it home, put it off the road (garage).

Fix it, then sell it on or get a days insurance again to go get a full MOT and sell it that way.

Was starting to earn some decent money then this law came in and buggered it all up. Can still do it but it means selling a car thats SORN not taxed...which does NOT help with selling a car!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Exactly why I stopped doing ιt bud! Pain in the arse
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2013, 08:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: Was starting to earn some decent money then this law came in and buggered it all up. Can still do it but it means selling a car thats SORN not taxed...which does NOT help with selling a car!

This is exactly what annoys me about it. I buy and sell cars quite a lot, so why does it matter if I leave one uninsured but taxed on my drive for a week or two while selling a car!? Dodgy Likewise its such a pain to buy a car that's been SORNed.

It's supposed to be reducing the amount of cars on the road uninsured....but all it seems to do is make life more difficult for us normal, legal people! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New project........ sorn question? Chris_90 26 4,243 28-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Last Post: welshpug
  sorn'ing a car not registered in my name? Update Chris_90 35 9,847 02-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Can I park here sorn sillywotsit1993 8 2,890 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Last Post: sillywotsit1993