What a lady garden.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a lady garden.
My f*cking cam belt snapped thismorning, heard all the valves grind up inside. Such a gutting feeling after spending so much money on this 6.

What do I do?
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 08:57 AM)callumcull Wrote: My f*cking cam belt snapped thismorning, heard all the valves grind up inside. Such a gutting feeling after spending so much money on this 6.

What do I do?

go back in time and change the belt when you should have done instead of being a tight arse? . . . . . lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Mate, this was Joe's old 6. The belt was done at Christmas.
Thanks given by:
Oh dear mate Sad that's really gutting news!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jesus that's terrible, going after just 9 months! How many miles did you do?

New engine time most likely mate.
Thanks given by:
Not that many, only about 4,000 tops. Where would I stand with the garage that done it given it was a previous owner? I have all reciepts etc...
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 09:00 AM)callumcull Wrote: Mate, this was Joe's old 6. The belt was done at Christmas.

ahh sorry what a c**t that is pal . .:/
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 09:32 AM)callumcull Wrote: Not that many, only about 4,000 tops. Where would I stand with the garage that done it given it was a previous owner? I have all reciepts etc...

I'd also be interested in this, seen as I had all the work done, as said in texts f*cking gutted, really can't believe its gone,

for everyone that doesn't know this had cam belt, waterpump and pulleys all done at christmas time, I didn't do loads of miles on it either.

I'm really unsure if they will do anything, which is gay! Theres no way it should have gone
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
If it snapped at idle you could try timing and a new belt, but if you were motoring its likely to have f*cked shit up. Dont do a Chris and start turning it over lol.

Edit: Forgot to put how f*cking gay that is, how can it snap 9 months after it was done!? Did they use asda smart price elastic bands or something!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, don't worry Joe. If they can't/won't do anything about it, it will get a new engine at some point. That 6 won't be beaten that's for sure.

Also, it's just clicked that it's friday the 13th...

Sorry, I've realised I said snapped. The exhaust cam pulley is wobbly, and the belt has slipped a few teeth. It's chewed up all the valves etc, game over really :/
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 12:02 PM)callumcull Wrote: Also, it's just clicked that it's friday the 13th...

You said it! Gutted for you pal
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear this!

Something went bang in my GTi's engine.... so I took up the chance to go derv. But, I had had the GTi for a long time so I was prepared to change.

Good luck with what you decide to do.
Thanks given by:
If its only 9 months Id go back to the garage that did it as clearly a timing belt shouldnt go after 9 months.
Thanks given by:
Surely it shouldn't matter if it was done by the previous owner you have the reciepts and the warranty would cover the car regardless of who owns it now.
My dad has a vectra c tdci his cam belt was done in January and snapped the other day and he is getting the car repaired under warranty and also he is claiming all the recovery fees swell Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 12:28 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If its only 9 months Id go back to the garage that did it as clearly a timing belt shouldnt go after 9 months.

I'm gonna give them a call in the next few days, there's no way it should have gone within 9 months, no way. Certainly not given how few miles it's done since. It's just such a ballache to somehow get it back down to Cornwall if they're happy to fix it. f*ck f*ck f*ck.
Thanks given by:
The belt manafacturer will not pay out for this. He said the exhaust pulley is wobbling so either they didn't do it up properly when they timed it or it's failed in some way. I'd check before it goes back to the garage and take pictures to support if it's the first as you can guarantee they will try and mug you off and say somethings broken and it's not their fault.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
well thats a right f*cker i feel for you

at the 2 garages ive worked for, whenever a car comes back for a problem like this we've spent ages trying to find ways round the warrenty so we didn't have to repair whether it be a modified car ( they assume you drive like a c*nt) or you've even used an oil different to specification.

just a heads up so you can have a nosey first so you dont waste your time with a garage, but if niall's right about the exhaust pulley they'll turn round and lobb it in your face, no offence but thats how most garages work
Thanks given by:
just some back story for you Callum and everyone else,

garage is run by one guy, he alone works there, is an honest guy and not likely to try and screw people, and I'm very surprised that anything has gon wrong, s I'd always usually say he was shit hot, although on this one doesn't sound too great, I really hope there is something can be done.

when you speak to him if you let him know it was my car, and which one, he should remember.

like I say is an honest mechanic and is always busy with many repeat customers because of this
Thanks given by:
So bit of an update, phoned the garage that had completed the work. Mentioned it was your car Joe, and was basically told to do one. More along the lines off "the pulley isn't something that needs checked, so I didn't check it. I only replaced the belt." Doesn't surprise me that I got this response, I've yet to find anywhere that doesn't wash responsibly of something because it's an easier route.

Fantastic.

I want to get the 6 fixed, but money is tight as hell, especially as I've just bought a new car tonight, desperately need a car.

All in all, what a shit f*cking day it's been.
Thanks given by:
New engine is a couple hundred quid.
Thanks given by:
this sucks dude, I'd offer to come help fix it but by the time I get to you it'd be time to drive back again
Thanks given by:
So the Belt was changed and not the Idler and tensioner Pulley? plus waterpump?
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
As far as I was aware the belt water pump and all tensioners where changed
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 11:52 AM)Tom Wrote: If it snapped at idle you could try timing and a new belt, but if you were motoring its likely to have f*cked shit up. Dont do a Chris and start turning it over lol

Edit: Forgot to put how f*cking gay that is, how can it snap 9 months after it was done!? Did they use asda smart price elastic bands or something!

lol

Would love to no whats causing all these gti6 belts to slip 3rd one now on here Confused

Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 10:02 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(13-09-2013, 11:52 AM)Tom Wrote: If it snapped at idle you could try timing and a new belt, but if you were motoring its likely to have f*cked shit up. Dont do a Chris and start turning it over lol

lol

Would love to no whats causing all these gti6 belts to slip 3rd one now on here Confused

Really should put me off wanting one. But first thing ill do is new head gasket and cambelt.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But he would of had to of loosened the exhaust pulley to time it up properly so either hes done a right shit bodge job or hes trying his luck. Get back on that phone!

Kent, head gaskets on these are pretty bullet proof and cambelts very rarely go providing they are fitted correctly and change times are stuck to. Its a very reliable engine really when looked after.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2013, 10:20 PM)Niall Wrote: But he would of had to of loosened the exhaust pulley to time it up properly so either hes done a right shit bodge job or hes trying his luck. Get back on that phone!

Kent, head gaskets on these are pretty bullet proof and cambelts very rarely go providing they are fitted correctly and change times are stuck to. Its a very reliable engine really when looked after.

I agree

When i got my gti the first week or 2 i got the cambelt, water pump and tensioners done
I asked him to keep them for me so i could inspect the wear on them and after 4 years and around 30k on it the belt was imaculate with absoloutley no signs of wear, although peace of mind was there i did feel like i paid for something that didnt need doing lol

Gutted for you tho hope you get it sorted
Thanks given by:
Man that's shit, proper liked this car when Joe had it, remember been taken for a blast down the lanes in it when I was half-pissed lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 06:06 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Man that's shit, proper liked this car when Joe had it, remember been taken for a blast down the lanes in it when I was half-pissed lol

only half. gtfo
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2013, 06:22 AM)kingy Wrote:
(14-09-2013, 06:06 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Man that's shit, proper liked this car when Joe had it, remember been taken for a blast down the lanes in it when I was half-pissed lol

only half. gtfo

Takes me time to get fully pissed mate, I'm not some southern nancy boy who's pissed off the sniff of a pint lol

Hence downing all those cans of warm export in the northern gazebo. Pre drinking!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by: