Apex Dampers; a review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apex Dampers; a review
Right I have had Apex dampers fitted to my car since 2011. Originally I would say the standard dampers on lowered springs and torsion beam did a damn good job, only got bouncy on the harshest of roads. Now since having the Apex units fitted I have found the ride uncomfortably harsh, the car bounces over every little bump/dip in the road and they are far too stiff.

I have waited enough for them to bed in and they have not improved in the slightest. I am using Jamex 40mm lowering springs with them.

So personally if you are looking for uprated dampers I would go with GTi spec OE dampers at the front and Citroen ZX (the shorter ones) at the back, as they are slightly stiffer than standard 306 units. I would also consider Bilstein B4 dampers as an OE replacement; but I don't know whether it is a case of "one size fits all" for 306s or they actually do separate versions for the different 306 models.

I tried the Apex units because I wanted to be different, but it bit me on the arse!
Thanks given by:
apex....different?!

I wouldnt think its a one off case you running Apex!!

OE dampers are shocking imo. Bilstein ftw

and running since 2011?? I would think the springs and dampers need replacing now...would have all gone saggy
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not sure I follow Piggy? I haven't noticed a difference in them since I fitted them. As long as they don't leak, I need to get my money's worth from them.

From what I've read on here OE GTi dampers have a good rep. Don't know about the standard dampers on the other hand. Two years, for dampers? Seems a bit of a short lifespan?
Thanks given by:
over that period time you wouldnt notice the change or drop in damper and feel.
2yrs is getting close to lifespan of a aftermarket cheap damper imo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 06:52 AM)306Puggy Wrote: Not sure I follow Piggy? I haven't noticed a difference in them since I fitted them. As long as they don't leak, I need to get my money's worth from them.

From what I've read on here OE GTi dampers have a good rep. Don't know about the standard dampers on the other hand. Two years, for dampers? Seems a bit of a short lifespan?

Correct if you buy genuine GTi dampers, they are great. The only copy of them thats worth buying i would say is Bilstein B4s and even then, they are a slight upgrade due to slightly harsher rebound
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
OE dampers are pretty good actually, so long as they are genuine ones.
Apex springs are okay, but their dampers are the same generic shite that's on ebay.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I only use estate rear dampers
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 10:59 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: OE dampers are pretty good actually, so long as they are genuine ones.
Apex springs are okay, but their dampers are the same generic shite that's on ebay.

Do you have any sources to back that up Ripp?

Just wondering because most of the Apex stuff is quite "well priced" for a budget setup, I got my front ones for £60 quid off eGay, but normally they are about 200 pounds for a pair.

I also ordered the rears from Lark Speed for about 60 quid each and I doubt Lark Speed would source non genuine parts.

Also the dampers are specifically shortened for lowered springs. Unless you are referred to standard spec Apex dampers?
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 11:11 AM)Daniel306 Wrote: I only use estate rear dampers

Interesting, how do you fit them to the front? Tongue
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Welder + hammer.... I thaught it was rears for somereason
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on Apex dampers? 306Puggy 2 1,265 21-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy
  dampers. kingy 7 2,980 08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Last Post: kingy
  Apex sports dampers Flynn 16 4,456 26-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Flynn