What to buy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to buy
Another what to buy thread.

My insurance is up for renewal soon so I'm looking to get a multi car policy

I've got a little one on the way so want something practical for every day and retire the 306 to weekend toy

Looking to spend upto 2k max

Mondeo took my fancy easy to pick up cheap but been put off by the fact it's ford and the injectors always fail

Drove a 54 shape vectra when I was younger but they seem to be a little out of my price range

Been looking at 406's like the thought of
Sticking to something i know. Anyone had any experience? Id be looking at executive leather seats ect swaying towards a hdi so I don't get tempted to start tuning it and seldom big blowers on!

What would you lovely lot recommend

Must be diesel
Must be 5 door
Under 2k
Large boot space
Not too bothered about higher mileage for my price range
Needs to be reliable!
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Fabia vrs
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
306 sedan d turbo Wink

Thanks given by:
You'd get a dog of a vrs for 2k. And the boot isnt large!!

My shout is an a4 2.5 tdi avant. You can get the 2001 models with average milage for around that. Hold out for quattro/leathers.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Vectra C's aren't really worth more than £2k anymore, they're surprisingly cheap considering the size and spec, should be cheaper up North as well. I definitely do not recommend getting one though!!!!!

You wont get any decent VAGs for that price tbh, higher milage will mean bigger problems...trust me I've been looking lol.

I'd go with a Mondeo 155 Diesel tbh, not the ST, but something like a Titanium X should be in your budget. But make sure its had injectors and DMF done on higher milage. Also don't forget they have a DPF as well, which the Vectra's and PD's don't.
Thanks given by:
Passat tdi 130 for me.
Nice cars . Complicated suspension setup on front but they drive nice
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd have a mondeo but the amount we had in work with DMF shagged and injectors there are loads on eBay ATM for under £500 needing new injectors slightly put me off

Audi a4 is a good shout

320d beamers come up cheap under £1800 with full leather

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
306 estate

well big enough for prams and kids stuff
Thanks given by:
Citroen xantia/xm/c5 hydraulic suspension and drop it on its arse plenty of crash protection as there big cars

With you you need somet you can't really fiddle with as you'll just get bored and start messing with it
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Passat 150 tdi. Simple map and over 200 brake. And reliable as feck.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mondeo, its better than the Vectra in every way imaginable and its a Peugeot engine.

Or a VW Passat 2.5 TDi 4 motion (or even stretch to the equivalent Audi A4 and be a badge whore)
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 08:24 PM)kingy Wrote: Passat 150 tdi. Simple map and over 200 brake. And reliable as feck.

Cams are like butter on then 150tdi. Go for the 130tdi more reliable.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 08:42 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(03-09-2013, 08:24 PM)kingy Wrote: Passat 150 tdi. Simple map and over 200 brake. And reliable as feck.

Its the same camshaft. They're both shit if used with longlife oil....
Thanks given by:
Still in 2 minds about the mondeo injector problem is putting me off

A4s are nice but for the same price I can get a 320d with full leather cruise control ect so many choices

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Vectraaaaaaa, easily get one for 2k, Tom hates every car going so don't listen to him & the others haven't lived with a decent spec one for any length of time.

If you wanna make the trip feel free to take mine for a blast Smile

[Image: null_zps40b5330c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The problem with Vectra's isn't so much the car, yes they feel cheap inside compared to VAGs but hey, they were only £27k new so what do you expect. lol

But it's more the amount of common faults with them - snapped springs, stuck EGRs, broken swirl flaps, DMF, squeaky aux belt, rad mounts, 3rd injector wiring, thermostats...and the list goes on. They're plenty cheap enough as below, but they're really no more reliable than a 306!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motor...1030684908
Thanks given by:
My Vectra. 2.5 v6 auto with full leather interior and climate control and all yours for £350 Ono
when in doubt...... flat out.
Thanks given by:

No. Mrs has the golf 150 tdi and in nearly 4 years its never missed a beat. Infact ive just had the cam belt done and the old one was still like new. And it gets some hammer when I borrow it. Massively solid cars.

(03-09-2013, 08:57 PM)bingham123456 Wrote: My Vectra. 2.5 v6 auto with full leather interior and climate control and all yours for £350 Ono

Mmmm got any pics. Might have this if its any good. Where you based mate.
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 08:58 PM)kingy Wrote:

No. Mrs has the golf 150 tdi and in nearly 4 years its never missed a beat. Infact ive just had the cam belt done and the old one was still like new. And it gets some hammer when I borrow it. Massively solid cars.

Yeah...really solid. Dodgy

[Image: GolfParts-FailedCamsandLifters026.jpg]

[Image: GolfParts-FailedCamsandLifters031.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Errrrm well. Dont know wha to say.
Thanks given by:
Lol, just don't use longlife oil and it'll be fine. Wink

That was a PD130 on 136k iirc lol.

Would still have another over the Vectra though, just can't find one cheap enough. Looking at Polo TDi's instead now lol.
Thanks given by:
Your vectra is sexual Jordan, there lovely to drive just understeer like mad

What's yours like?

Don't like vws I know there same as a Audi but just don't like them

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
That's strange as I'd say the handling is very good & I think Tom actually agrees?

I've never had a problem with mine in almost a year, granted it had an inlet as I got it but apart from that its epic, £80 for a custom map by the best In the country and it sits at decent figures both bhp and mpg wise Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice B4 platform Audi A4?
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 09:32 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: That's strange as I'd say the handling is very good & I think Tom actually agrees?

I've never had a problem with mine in almost a year, granted it had an inlet as I got it but apart from that its epic, £80 for a custom map by the best In the country and it sits at decent figures both bhp and mpg wise Smile

Lol, never had a problem except the manifold, the EGR and the stat that was replaced under warranty.... If you hadn't bought from a dealer think of the repair bill for that!

They are extremely grippy though, and no-where near as understeery as something like a Passat. Infact I have to push over the NSL to get mine to understeer on rainsports, and I've never had LOOS from it. The turn in is also excellent, its a quicker rack than a 306 so takes some getting used to but once you're used to it that's one of its better features. Just annoyingly whiny at slow speed due to the hydro-elec setup lol.

Ride is rubbish though imo.... I really wouldn't want to be in the back, and definitely wouldn't put a kid in the back! I feel a bit ill being in the front sometimes, it's just like driving a bouncy castle. Jordans might be a bit less bouncy at the rear on the stiffer springs though.
Thanks given by:
Mondeo was best car my dad ever owned to be fair, never missed a beat . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
It was my mums vectra I drove so no doubt it had ditch finders on.

They are nice cars and nice to drive don't see many with the full leathers in tho

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
True Danny but you can pick up a set of full heated leathers for £150ish, I paid £139 for mine with door cards Smile a lot of car for the money in comparison to most £2k cars!
Thanks given by:
That's a good price! Thought they would be way more than that,

Shame your so far away would like to see how yours pulls

Really tempted by one

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
320d tbh..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by: