SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600
PD100? Yawn...

Yours seems to be coming together though!

Probably missed it but what's the advantage of the wideband on a petrol? I thought you had to keep pretty close to lambda 1 all the time?
Thanks given by:
Glad your happy with the gauge. I think its a great bit of kit personally. Was going to buy a AEM one but i want to get a boost gauge as well but don't like having loads of different gauges all over the place.

On another note, that AFR looks like its all over the place on idle!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2014, 04:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Probably missed it but what's the advantage of the wideband on a petrol? I thought you had to keep pretty close to lambda 1 all the time?

Having a wideband on a perv is mainly used for mapping and monitoring. A Narrowband can only tell you that its over/under lambda 1 but not by how much which is no use when tuning as you don't always want to be at Lambda 1.

14.7:1 is perfect for emissions and is the most efficient mixture for burning all the fuel
12.8:1 is the optimum mixture for maximum power.

You can also go lean but only under light throttle for fuel saving purposes. Ideally on a mapped car like this, you don't really want to be seeing over 15:1 unless in DFCO of course. If your booting it or even just pushing on a bit, you want to be dropping down towards 12.8:1. Even at 14.7:1 at full throttle, your pushing you're luck slightly.
You will mainly have a Wideband to monitor this as with a modified engine, you're pushing it past what it was designed for so your fail safes are much narrower of a standard engine..

Plus it looks cool :p
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That was with a bit of reving to make it interesting. Im fairly sure something is wrong with it. Sometimes it idles dead on 14.6 and then other times it goes to 15.6. If you tap the accelerator then it will fall back to 14.6 again. Its all over the place tbh. Not sure if crap wiring means some sensors are missing or if its just the map. Its always in the orange which means something i guess.
Thanks given by:
Ah right, makes sense, very useful then!

It does also look cool as you say haha.
Thanks given by:
Right a few things. Firstly, seeing as it idles on scatter spark, 14.6 is fine. You will find scatter spark engines idle much richer normally (like it should do when its cold?)
Secondly, just remember that richer is safer than lean. If its going properly lean (15-20AFR) when booting it then its just going to start melting stuff pretty quickly. If its going rich, (10-15AFR) then the worst that can happen is bore wash and lack of power....but that doesn't mean thats safe. Just safer than lean.
Like i said above, you don't want to see below 12.8ish. Yeah very occasionally it may drop for a split second or when driving on a steady throttle, go high for a split second. That can happen. Its just sustained AFRs outside the 12.8-14.7 range that you need to start questioning why.

Like i said on whatsapp, get a cable for the ecu and get a log done and ill take a look.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Right after 'work' finished today I got straight out and started on the car. Firstly I got all the old gear linkages off and fitted all the new ones. Greased everything up and its all sorted. Not sure of the difference just from changing gear in the drive way but it feels as if they are all closer together than before.

[Image: IMG_20140826_174246_zpsp3lsroz3.jpg]

After that I started ripping into the loom. Disconnected everything and cut out a good few wires which i had left in. Its all looking fairly simple now and Ive got everything taped and a few lengths of conduit on. Ill hopefully get it finished off tomorrow and hopefully it will start as Ill be driving back to London in the evening!

[Image: IMG_20140826_191211_zpsnpyi1wam.jpg]

note thats a picture of when i had started! Its getting tidier! Big Grin May even wire in the fans as the queue for the dartford crossing is really risking warping the head D:
Thanks given by:
Well... its a bit tidier and the omex is finally in the cabin. Still a few stray wires and the length of bits of the loom arent great but its getting there. It doesnt help that i am once again without a soldering iron! Will have to have a second bash at it another time. :/

it starts and works though so thats all good!
Thanks given by:
Wow...didnt realise you hadnt got solid linkages sorted yet...that will make a world a difference!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeh I've got baker bm engine and beam mounts to go on too. Its just the time to do it and have the car off the road that's the problem!

Hopefully I'll wire in the rad fan this afternoon as well!
Thanks given by:
So.... Tidied up the loom as much as possible and I can also got the fan wired up with a bit of temporary wiring just to checked it worked. It comes on at 60 degrees which means its on all the bloody time. I'll hopefully be seeing Niall tomorrow evening to set it to a higher temperature.

Got in the car and drove to felixstowe. Wipers were juddering but thought it was a coincidence that the wiper motor was packing up. Went to leave to go to London and the lights were flickering, wipers stuck halfway and fog lights and indicators all half on. Pabiced for 5 minutes. Removed the fan relay in case I had wired it wrong but this caused no difference. Checked my wiring in the dark and found that the earth was loose on the drivers side. Tightened it up and everything is good again!

Drove to London with no further issues. Good first chance to test the night breakers and the AFR gauge. Night breakers are win. Need to properly adjust the headlights but I can definitely see more. The AFR seems to be good to and always 14.6 or below. Only place I noticed is cruising at 2k in 6th seems to produce 15 to 16 which isn't great but the revs rarely sit there.

Also it was the first real test with the gear linkages. Seem to be good and definitely a better feeling but not too much difference to normal.

[Image: IMG_20140826_174246_zpsp3lsroz3.jpg]

All in all fairly happy with the car right now. Just a bit more tidying up to do and all should be good!
Thanks given by:
Great progress mate. Glad its all coming together well.

Whats next after the niggles are sorted?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2014, 11:00 PM)SRowell Wrote: The AFR seems to be good to and always 14.6 or below. Only place I noticed is cruising at 2k in 6th seems to produce 15 to 16 which isn't great but the revs rarely sit there.

Dude don't worry about that. If there is no/barely any load on the engine then going lean isn't an issue. Its only when you start putting it under load that if its lean it will do some damage.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
15 - 16 at cruise is fine, it's saving you some fuel in fact.

Much leaner and you might start to notice a slight juddering, as it begins to miss a little, but nothing to worry about other than an irritation.

Like Niall says, so long as under higher load conditions it gets down into the 12's, it will be fine. It's very easy to map more fuel in if you are concerned about anywhere specifically.

Are you running wideband feedback to the ECU? That can be useful for cruising conditions as you can get it to hold the afr bang on 14.7, keep it smooth and not use excessive fuel.

Bear in mind that most engines like to run a little rich at idle, it helps keep to smooth and also stops it popping back up the trumpets. I like 13.8-14:1 at idle to keep it nice.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Nope the wideband isnt mapped in. I will wire in the wideband to the ECU but it will just be for logging purposes.
Thanks given by:
So another long trip down to Horsham for work yesterday saw me staying late and going round to Nialls afterwards. The revs kept sticking and the fan was on constantly the whole way.

We connected up the omex and found the TPS was fluttering between 25 and 26 and 26 was when the throttle started. We bumped this up to 27 and it idles a lot better and the pedal has a nice feel to it now.

Also we found that whilst my dash displayed 70 degrees the omex read 85 and the fans were indeed set to come on at 85. We let the car get up to temp and when the software said 90 the dash said 90 too. Niall suspected a possible air lock. We set the fans to come on at 90 degrees and they now turn on and off fine!

Pubbage after this occured and I now have a seam welded subframe and wrapped gti6 exhaust manifold to put on.

Car is much better to drive and for the first time in years I dont have to worry about it overheating! Dartford crossing is notorious!
Thanks given by:
Just ordered a serial cable and USB to Serial Adapter. Also downloaded the MAP4000 software. When it all arrives next week should be able to have a look around the OMEX and see whats going on.

Also today bought some of the correctly rated fuel hose. Ive bought fuel hose 3 times now and it has always perished after a few months. I did a bit of research about the ratings to make sure I bought the right stuff.

For the record any fuel line with DIN standards is NOT what you want. I previously bought hose of DIN73379 standard which is for low pressure injector systems. What you need and I have now bought is SAUJ30R9 rated fuel lines which is rated for high pressure injector systems 225psi.
Thanks given by:
Sounding good dude! Looking forward to seeing it at forge next weekend.
Thanks given by:
Sam, if you want any pointers at the mapping, just holler...
JP
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 07:23 PM)jammapic Wrote: Sam, if you want any pointers at the mapping, just holler...

Sure thing. Will just change a few of the basic things and check over the sensors but no doubt will start looking at the map in the future!
Thanks given by:
A bit of advice for you, take a download from your ecu, save it somewhere safe then just have a look around map with the engine running, get it up to temp, rev it etc and just see what it does. Having a look around the software live will give you a great idea as to how it all works and whats what.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So things have started to arrive. Today will see the fuel lines finally replaced with the correctly rated ones. There is a notable difference to the feel and flexibility of these fuel lines compared to previous ones. If there is time maybe I will replace the top two engine mounts as well.

[Image: IMG_20140906_001839_zpsqpnyipml.jpg]

also had a ride in my friends brand new Merc A200. Its very nice but... I wouldnt have one.

[Image: IMG_20140907_171222_zpszqc8l3rf.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So the week came and went. I managed to give the car a quick once over ready for track. Moved the tracking out a bit and I think its right now. Also replaced all the fuel lines with the proper stuff this time. The old stuff really was crap.

Feeling quite happy about track this time with the changes from last time...

Michelin PS3 Tyres
Greenstuff Pads
New Rear Pads
Steering Aligned
New Fuel Lines
Tidied loom
Interior Plastics back in
New Gear Linkages
Slimline fan fitted.

Should be good! All the bolts are tight including the wish bone ones.

Next few things to do are to fit the baker bm engine and rear beam mounts and to get a quick release wheel adapter, Teigwa Harness Bar, New Seatbelt Bolts, GTI6 rear beam. Then once thats all done will hopefully be in a better financial situation to get the GTI6 head on and get it all mapped again!
Thanks given by:
So Forge Action Day has been and gone. It went a little bit like this...

Friday night I left with one of my work Colleagues called Alex and we met Sam and Will in the Astor 6 on the M25A12 junction. We had a bit of bwarping on the way with a few flames out of the back of the 1.8 apparently. First stop was obviously the traditional Frankie & Bennys in Swindon. We got in just as they were stopping serving but luckily managed to get food.

After this I decided I wanted to go to a pressure washer to clean the car as the big washer hadnt done the arches and wheels properly. Ferry Woop had sent the post code of one and was particularly amused that I had never used one. We stopped at a few we saw en-route but they were terrible. Eventually we got to one and it was amazing! 5 Settings and £1 for 3 minutes! Car came out looking great! Managed to do both mine and Sams tyres in 4 minutes including swapping the position of the cars.

[Image: IMG_20140912_230127_zpsu71fq63y.jpg]

We stayed in a travel lodge which was a particularly gay experience before leaving in the morning. Niall arrived with perfect timing to give me my stand pass before going into the event! The club stand although out of the way and on grass looked great. Lots of 306s and banter going on there.

Puglove, lolSteve and I all bought additional track time for 3pm at £ra*e.99. Before going on track I unloaded the entire car including the Sub. No tunes on track. Ruan had some pro tips too. Cheers to Cully and Niall for lending me a wheel bolt too!

The first track session was great. Was very nervous in the queue next to the skylines and evos. Made it onto track and what a difference the latest mods have made. The new tyres were great and the brakes were decent too. Could really fling it into corners and there was loads of grip. At one point I went into a corner and an M3 was holding us back. somehow! Managed to overtake steve who wasnt particularly happy after the work he had put into the MG. Niall was sitting at Quarry and reported some dirty pops going on. Great stuff!

Second track session came up quickly and we were all on track again. Didnt see Puglove out there but once again overtook Steve and the car performed great.

[Image: 10644113_10152700660512145_7774354914381...a1ef50.jpg]
[Image: 10694496_10152700658867145_2077422927242...b9b7ff.jpg]
[Image: 10687929_10152700661072145_5953705998519...fc418a.jpg]
[Image: 10633311_10152635660723592_1996249049360...f4f0c3.jpg]
[Image: 10644527_10152635637638592_5382025274477...b58a2c.jpg]
[Image: 10379625_10152700661602145_4105430475810...9a2b75.jpg]
[Image: 10485472_10152700663102145_6443885683320...38c2a6.jpg]

Results of tracking? The engine mounts are worse than ever, the brake discs on the rear need replacing, the gear stick needs sorting out and probably need an oil cooler. Immediately coming off track the engine temps rocketed to 100 even with the fan.

We left the show without seeing half of the cars but very happy. Convoyed back for a bit with Niall before dropping Alex off so he could make his way back to Balham.

Great day guys and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone.
Thanks given by:
Good results and some good RnD mate.

Nicely progressing project this.

Do you hope to get the GTi6 head on for next years season of tracktime?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yep hopefully it'll go on in a few months time. Mot to pass first and insurance to pay.
Thanks given by:
Was a really good weekend and car looks quick on track

Yeah a oil cooler and diff would make this a absolute beast Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
just lifting it 30mm would improve the handling dramatically, look at the weight transfer into the chicane!
Thanks given by:
I dont see how raising the cente of gravity would help with that weight transfer Welshpug...unless you just mean the rear?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
its nowhere near stiff enough to run that low, its sitting on the bump stops on the back and lifting the inside wheel from weight transfer.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells Black Rallye Eeyore 736 221,303 22-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  SRowells 3D Printed Cup Holders Eeyore 17 5,745 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  SRowells & Declantgs StanceBoard Project Eeyore 59 13,216 25-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore