Ssd upgrade advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ssd upgrade advice
Im looking at upgrading the Hdd im my Vaio F series to a Ssd, But im needing some advice on what to go for and what to watch out for? Im thinking i need a 500gb
Thanks given by:
I went for a Samsung 830 from Scott's recommendation. What a difference it has made! My MacBook boots from off to the desktop ready to use in 6 seconds and opens programs instantly. Well worth the upgrade.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I was looking at the samsung Pro

http://www.ebuyer.com/410475-samsung-512...z-7pd512bw

And this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/512GB-OCZ-Agil...53fd2e954a

From what i read on the net its not that hard to change?
Thanks given by:
I almost bought the 256gb version of that Samsung but I was told not to as the 830 is actually a slightly better spec apparently.

Changing is easy. Don't know how you do it on your laptop but on mine, it was 4 screws holding the drive in, new one in with the spacers in the box then power it up and if you want s clean install (I did. Took 7 minutes to install osx from fresh!), just boot from your install disc or if you want a image of the old drive, you get a clone kit in the box with the new drive.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ive got the 128mb samsung in my computer and its been faultless, so fast.
Thanks given by:
GB dum, otherwise you'd not be doing much on that SSD lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You won't got far wrong with an 840 pro.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Anyone got and upgrade kit i can borrow?
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2013, 11:44 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: You won't got far wrong with an 840 pro.

It's hard to justify the price for a home user though.
But great drives, got an 'old' 128GB 830 in my laptop here, best upgrade possible.
Thanks given by:
Definitely worth getting one. My boot up/down times and too fast.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
If you're feeling flush... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...catid=2104
Thanks given by:
Looking for a laptop one tho
Thanks given by:
That was sarcasm really lol.. I don't know many people who would splash out over £1100 on an SSD alone lol
Thanks given by:
What about £1,126.81 on a 2T jack?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280782922426?s...1423.l2649
Thanks given by:
can't be right.. or it is and they've just put the price up that high because they're out of stock and don't wanna pay to relist
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2013, 11:59 AM)tigerstyle Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 11:44 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: You won't got far wrong with an 840 pro.

It's hard to justify the price for a home user though.
But great drives, got an 'old' 128GB 830 in my laptop here, best upgrade possible.

After all the issues I've had with cheaper ones, it's very easy to justify the price.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
No issue with my 'base' 830.
But other cheaper brands, damn right I wouldn't trust.

HDD to SSD is like a punts to an f40, going for the pro model is like jumping to an f50, worth that extra £££? If your answer is yes then cool. But for most base is enough.
I liked the immeasurable benefits from mine, No noise! No vibrations! Lighter! Pro or non pro those are free!
Thanks given by:
I'd never go with the base Samsungs when the EVO models are usually about a fiver more and have 3-4x the base write speeds.
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2013, 10:36 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: I'd never go with the base Samsungs when the EVO models are usually about a fiver more and have 3-4x the base write speeds.

Easy to fall into the trap of more numbers = better (well it does here really) but in reality you spend little time actually writing to an SSD, and what have you got that is going to saturate the SSD write speed anyway? Another SSD? Cloning or installing an OS is when the faster write will make a benefit, but that's once a year TOPS for most users.

Read read read is what you need! But yeah for a fiver it's no big deal, but it's not a deal breaker either way. They own hhds hands down!
Thanks given by:
The EVO is pretty much better in every way though Big Grin

That write cache makes a good difference for desktop drives.
The PRO models are a chunk more money but should outlast most drives 3-1
Thanks given by: