Spraying alloys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spraying alloys
How much primer will I roughly need to spray four 15'' alloys? Dont know wether ill use spray cans or get it so I can spray it from a gun whichever is cheaper I suppose.. Any suggestions on what brand? Im looking to get them done cheap :-)

Also how important is etch primer? There is a few places where the alloy is down to bare metal can I just spray ordinary primer over it? Thanks for any help :-)
Thanks given by:
Buying primer later, want to get high build stuff but I think it will be too dear..
Thanks given by:
with cans, you can get away with one large halfords can of primer. Etch is only really needed if you have gone down to bare metal.
Thanks given by:
Were it's bare metal I would use etch primer and do the rest in normal primer.
Thanks given by:
Ok i need etch primer..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UPol-Powercan-Et ... 4cee00fa30

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Aerosol-Car-Pain ... 4cf96c0c86

Whats the difference in these two other than the big price difference??

Or can anyone recommend anything else?
Thanks given by:
I see one is acid etch and the other etch,, Whats the difference and what do i need for alloys lol
Thanks given by:
The acid 8 Is free of chromate which is something to do with acid. Apart from that there the same, i can highly recommend upol as a primer.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that buddy! Trying to order a can now but it wont let me select my country lol is there high build primer in a aerosol good too?

Edit: THIS ITEM CAN ONLY BE DELIVERED TO MAINLAND UK, CANNOT BE SHIPPED OVERSEAS, INCLUDING NORTHERN IRELAND UNLESS 6 CANS OR MORE ARE ORDERED
Thanks given by:
Are there areas that need building up more than others? If so I'd use filler rather than layer lots of primer on it.

That's abit of a pain having to order 6, where you from?
Thanks given by:
No its not that bad i have them well sanded i just want a real good finish so i thought id use the high build stuff. Im from ireland cant see any other stuff online with reasonable delivery charges Sad
Thanks given by:
How many you need?
Thanks given by:
I was just going to buy the one, ill have a look around a few local shops for some!
Thanks given by:
Do you need it urgently? As I Need a couple more and could post you one of you want?

But it would be next week before I would get them to send to you.
Thanks given by:
Don't bother with high build for alloys, get them nice and smooth through sanding instead. High build's only really for applicatios with rough textures, if you've sanded the alloys flat you shouldn't need it.

Upol is probably the best 1K paint i've used, the #1 clear goes on really nicely. It's just not very tough compared to proper 2K stuff. If you want a good petrol resistant clear look for Mipa 2K clear. It has a button underneath you push into it to mix the hardener and is identical to the stuff used in spray guns, but in a can.

You can get a good finish out of almost any paint though. But cheaper, tackier paints take more work. I painted my DRB's with Halfords stuff as it was all I could get hold of at the time but are coming up shiny with some wet sanding and polishing.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spraying/Painting Alan_M 0 861 26-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Alan_M
  centre console spraying NottsPug 6 2,433 24-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii
  Spraying an intercooler Icywalts 5 1,730 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Sambarker