Play in wheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play in wheel
Popcorn

Appropriate use of the smiley for once!
Thanks given by:
Turns out one of the small caliper screws has actually sheered off in the hub itself.

I dont have a allen key big enough to remove the caliper either to see if theres enough thread to get mole grips on it /fail

most like a drilling out jobby.

[Image: IMG_2330_zpsc218341b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2331_zps3edf42bc.jpg]

glad to know what it is finally though thanks for all your help guys

sorry for the silly questions but im a noob with this kind of thing but ill get there in the end Smile
Thanks given by:
Do you mean disc screw?

Thats a common problem. Ive never replaced them. The discs are held on nicely by the wheel anyway Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I don't see how that can be the original problem as surely with the wheel bolted on through the disc to the hub the disc will not move.
Thanks given by:
Hmm are you sure that'll fix it? Unless that was lodged between the hub and the wheel I don't see it being able to cause that big a problem, plenty of people actually don't have that screw in at all to hold the discs in place.

Also removing the calliper is a socket wrench job (17mm IIRC) rather than an allen key Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:01 PM)titch Wrote: I don't see how that can be the original problem as surely with the wheel bolted on through the disc to the hub the disc will not move.

Very true. Whats the hub doing now with the wheel off?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Yeah disc screw. and I see where you're coming from titch dont start throwing a curveball into all this lol
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:02 PM)Scott Wrote: Hmm are you sure that'll fix it? Unless that was lodged between the hub and the wheel I don't see it being able to cause that big a problem, plenty of people actually don't have that screw in at all to hold the discs in place.

Also removing the calliper is a socket wrench job (17mm IIRC) rather than an allen key Smile

19mm Smile

Pretty much what scott said. I dont run any retaining screws as they are just a pain in the arse when it comes to removing the discs. Unless that head was jammed somewhere, keep looking!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well i tightened the other side up because that one had sheered off and it seemed to be less play in it. i put the wheel back on and drove it up the road and it doesnt seem as bad as it was before... I will take another look tomorrow and take the disk off completely if its a 17/19mm and see if the hub still moves.

We will get there in the end lol
Thanks given by:
List what joints you have checked for play, to make it easier for us to help. I.e

-T.R.E's
-Ball joints
-Wishbones

For example

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Adam have you spoken to any of the other Pompey members? There are quite a few down your way who would be happy to help take a look to figure out what's up!
Thanks given by:
Had up and down play originally.

So.
replaced bottom ball joint (cured my up and down play problem)then noticed i still had side to side play.
Drop links - look brand new and as if they've been replaced recently (ive only had the car 2 weeks)
T.R.E there is no play in these what so ever and the rubbers etc all look good.

Now moving onto the possibility of brake disc
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:03 PM)adamm306 Wrote: Yeah disc screw. and I see where you're coming from titch dont start throwing a curveball into all this lol

Sorry mate Blush

But i don't see how that can be the problem, unless as said it was wedged somewhere so the wheel wasn't sitting flush on the hub, as on my old car neither of the front discs had any screws in as the wheel bolts hold them on, those screws really just stop the disc moving when you take the wheel off and keep the holes in the disc lined up with the holes in the hub so it is easy when putting the wheel back on.
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:09 PM)Scott Wrote: Adam have you spoken to any of the other Pompey members? There are quite a few down your way who would be happy to help take a look to figure out what's up!

haven't met anyone yet been busy but hope to in the next few weeks if im still having trouble after i've checked all the simple things myself ill have to throw in the towel and get someone to take a look.

feel a bit stupid that i cant fix a simple problem as you guys seem to have so much better knowledge than myself lol
Thanks given by:
Dont worry man. We all had to start somewhere!
A drop link wont cause that play. do you have any play if you move the wheel with your hands at the 12 and 6 position? If not, its not your wheel bearing. It can only really be your steering rack, TRE or track rod. or of course that disc (and therefore wheel) isnt seated properly.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Does the wobble stop under breaking or doing anything unusual at all?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
What conclusion have you come to with the P-bushes? I had a very similar symptom with my previous car at Ace cafe last year. A few will remember....

[Image: 3cc951e0.jpg]

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Not at all mate, it's no reason to feel stupid! We've all been about for a long time so know these cars inside out, it's one of those things you pick up as you go along. To be honest, you're able to pick out what parts we're talking about so you're doing better than some! Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:14 PM)Niall Wrote: Dont worry man. We all had to start somewhere!
A drop link wont cause that play. do you have any play if you move the wheel with your hands at the 12 and 6 position? If not, its not your wheel bearing. It can only really be your steering rack, TRE or track rod. or of course that disc (and therefore wheel) isnt seated properly.

heh yeah i guess so just feel like a nuisance to you lot on here with all the silly questions

There is no play what so ever between 12 and 6 its all quarter to 3 play

when i pull off slowly on the clutch you cant feel any judder or anything like that

edit: can't really feel it under braking

if i pull off with some heavy throttle/quickly i feel a judder in that side

i first noticed it when dumping the clutch to change from 1st/2nd you hear a loud clunk from the wheel itself

also if you let off the throttle and let the engine brake a loud clunk as you first let off.

you cant really feel it after 2nd gear untill you get around to 80-100mph then the hole wheel vibrates/shakes

and the whole car judders when you reverse

thats best I can explain it sorry

edit: you cant really feel it under braking
Thanks given by:
Have a look at this shows quite well how to check the track rod end and what a worn one looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOBhBdhPVg
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:19 PM)adamm306 Wrote:
(16-08-2013, 08:14 PM)Niall Wrote: Dont worry man. We all had to start somewhere!

heh yeah i guess so just feel like a nuisance to you lot on here with all the silly questions

There is no play what so ever between 12 and 6 its all quarter to 3 play

when i pull off slowly on the clutch you cant feel any judder or anything like that

if i pull off with some heavy throttle/quickly i feel a judder in that side

i first noticed it when dumping the clutch to change from 1st/2nd you hear a loud clunk from the wheel itself

also if you let off the throttle and let the engine brake a loud clunk as you first let off.

you cant really feel it after 2nd gear untill you get around to 80-100mph then the hole wheel vibrates/shakes

and the whole car judders when you reverse

thats best I can explain it sorry

Dont he daft mate, its what the forum is here for. It's a very useful tool for things like this. I'm sure you will contribute in time to come Smile Swings and roundabouts and all that Wink

Quarter to 3 does sound like a P-Bush. Did you say you had checked these?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Even with a wishbone like that, i think its unlikely that it would be that easy to move back and forth in your hand. Under load yes.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Not checked the P bush just yet. Scott said it didnt look like a P bush symptom from video but I will make sure tomorrow (After paintballing Tongue) i will check all the appropriate things and double check the T.R.E etc and hopefully come to a solution as its driving me nuts
Thanks given by:
have you thought about the hub centre nut being done up right?
also the top mount?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Titch: my T.R.E is fine after watching that video Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: have you thought about the hub centre nut being done up right?
also the top mount?

The hub centre nut would not cause movement in the hub. The hub is fixed to the subframe via the pbush amd the front wishbone mount. Then to the hub. The topount would cause movement via the top of the strut, no the bottom as is there Sad

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2013, 08:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: have you thought about the hub centre nut being done up right?
also the top mount?

hub centre nut is one of the things I would like to check but can't as I don't have a socket big enough. I am going upto Krisb's sunday to help mark with his car so I will ask to borrow a big socket to make sure its tight etc then.

not checked the top mounts yet but ill take a look tomorrow in the light Smile

edit: ok no I won't but thanks anyway piggy
Thanks given by:
is this the side that had the ball joint replaced?

Have you checked that the ball joint is nice and tight in the hole in the hub?
Thanks given by:
Haven't checked the balljoint atall to be fair. since it was brand new I assumed it has been fine (changing the balljoint cured the up and down movement i had previously)

soooo after all this information what parts am i actually checking tomorrow Tongue Big Grin ?
Thanks given by:
I promise its not the hub centre nut (Drive shaft nut). The centre nut is the one that holds the bearing together. As soon as the car was on the ground and moved a bit, the wheel would do its best to fall off. Ask GT30. He knows about this well Tongue
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small play in rebuilt beam? daveylennon93 9 1,657 23-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Wheel wobble/play mcglynn 11 2,227 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Last Post: mcglynn