Brake upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake upgrade
I have a set of gti6 brakes to go on the front but heard ill need a 406 master cylinder as I don't have abs. I've had a look and these are rare things. I need the 4 port model apparently and can only really find the 2 port jobby. Anyone have one spare? Cash-a-waiting.
93 106 xsi
98 306 1.9d 
98 306 1.9td lx 
01 306 2.0hdi 
97 306 1.9td estate 
96 306 dturbo 
96 306 dturbo 
Thanks given by:
Just use a gti6 master cylinder
Thanks given by:
No you just need a gti6 one. In fact you can use the one you have on there but just gives more pedal travel.
Thanks given by:
Cheers boys. I'll just try standard 1st then, if I don't like it the gti master cylinders are cheap I could try that too. I love how all the bits are cheap as....
93 106 xsi
98 306 1.9d 
98 306 1.9td lx 
01 306 2.0hdi 
97 306 1.9td estate 
96 306 dturbo 
96 306 dturbo 
Thanks given by:
Just to add to this how would I go about fitting a 2 port master cylinder to a car that currently has 4? I'm guessing I'll just have to split the 2 outlets one for front one for rear?
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
You don't NEED any master cylinder to be replaced.

The GTi6 came with a larger master cylinder which means you move more fluid with less travel... I prefer the stock DT master cylinder to be fair, the GTi6 one makes them over sensitive - it's totally dependant upon your preference though..

The Stock DT one gives you more modulation - i.e. you've got more control over a wider range of pedal travel - a GTi6 one doesn't mean you'll stop faster, harder, better - it's all to do with feel. You just have to press the pedal further to get the same force - not harder.

Either will work absolutely fine, however.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Super. I'll chuck them on and see how they feel.
93 106 xsi
98 306 1.9d 
98 306 1.9td lx 
01 306 2.0hdi 
97 306 1.9td estate 
96 306 dturbo 
96 306 dturbo 
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 07:07 PM)Ruan Wrote: You don't NEED any master cylinder to be replaced.

The GTi6 came with a larger master cylinder which means you move more fluid with less travel... I prefer the stock DT master cylinder to be fair, the GTi6 one makes them over sensitive - it's totally dependant upon your preference though..

The Stock DT one gives you more modulation - i.e. you've got more control over a wider range of pedal travel - a GTi6 one doesn't mean you'll stop faster, harder, better - it's all to do with feel. You just have to press the pedal further to get the same force - not harder.

^beat me to it.

But Yeah, just crack on with what's currently on there and see how you get used to it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 07:07 PM)Ruan Wrote: You don't NEED any master cylinder to be replaced.

Yup my 306 d turbo was fine with standard mc, but on a standard 205 mc I think I'll be pushing the pedal through the floor before they connect Smile
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
made a huge difference for me...I love it.

but I also used braided hoses and 5.1fluid.

Everytime I drive a different car I think the brakes are busted!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i have gti 6 brakes and a DT master cylinder and i wouldn't want the brakes to bite any faster, i have a 23mm MC but i haven't bothered putting it on as i find the brakes easy enough to lock up as it is..Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Have been thinking about swapping the MC's over from my hdi and my 6. But think I'll see how I get on with the 4 pots first.
Thanks given by: